Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Y Reg Rav4 Nrg Won't Start - Any Suggestions?

ecophon

Hi all

My wife was driving ( Y reg rav 4 nrg 3 door) the other day and the check engine light came on, but without any other problems. She got home (about a 100 mile drive) without incident/problem and we took it to an independent garage the next day who stuck it on their computer and said the computer said that both cat's had failed...

So he reset the fault code - light goes out and it's fine. Tells us to run it and if there's a problem to pop it back. All good so far.

Have driven it around fine, but sadly two days later it has refused to start. It does turn over though.

We now have a couple of days to wait before the garage reopens so I wondered if anyone has any ideas, or is it the case that if the cat's have failed the car won't start?

Thanks for any help, and happy Easter.

Regards

d

Hi all

My wife was driving ( Y reg rav 4 nrg 3 door) the other day and the check engine light came on, but without any other problems. She got home (about a 100 mile drive) without incident/problem and we took it to an independent garage the next day who stuck it on their computer and said the computer said that both cat's had failed...

So he reset the fault code - light goes out and it's fine. Tells us to run it and if there's a problem to pop it back. All good so far.

Have driven it around fine, but sadly two days later it has refused to start. It does turn over though.

We now have a couple of days to wait before the garage reopens so I wondered if anyone has any ideas, or is it the case that if the cat's have failed the car won't start?

Thanks for any help, and happy Easter.

Regards

d

Hi mate + welcome to the club, cannot personally help with your query but sure some of our more mechanical guys will have an answer or two before long, if you can just be a little patient :thumbsup:

Hi and thanks :)

Patience is no problem at all - it will sit on the drive until tuesday unless someone here has a bright idea (I wouldn't have a clue - am definitely no mechanic!) Am quite happy to replace sensors etc but thats about my limit.

Failing that it will have to head to the doctors on tuesday morning for some tlc....

Cheers

d

uh. I don't think its the cats - it'll be the sensors or something -????

Number 2 RAV runs without a cat and number 1 runs with a straight thru exhaust so it must be something with the sensors.... then again I run more highly tuned engines than you.

Well, just been out and wiggled all the connector blocks (and checked the cam belt was fine - just in case) and after a bit of cranking it started up, all be it with the check engine light on so it's down to the garage on tuesday to get codes read.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers

d

Hi all.

Hope this may help someone in the future...

Turns out the problem was the mass airflow sensor. This was having some sort of problem and consequently the rest of the system was receiving wrong signals. The garage showed us the signal on the diagnostic computer, and it would either react slowly to the throttle being pressed or just not bother to register at all.

One new sensor later and all is dandy, well at least four days later it's still going strong.

Cheers all