Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Knocking On Gen 7

craigycakes

:( hi guys not in a happy mood at the moment. My celica vvti is knocking its !Removed! off, and has lost power. i started smelling a burning smell a few days ago but everything seemed fine and car was running smoothly. was just driving home and it just seemed to lose power and start knocking. i have checked the oil and it was low so i toped it up and its still the same. it doesnt sound good at all. i havent had anywarning lights come up or anything.

hopefully some one will have a better knockledge of this and help me out. cheers craig

Its a W plate 2000 in year. I just got told by a mechanic that only listend to the engine that its my big end bearings and if im lucky i might get away with just geting new ones if i have caught it early enough. Does anyone suggest this?

cheers.

it only makes a knocking sound from 2500 rpm and has lost about 40% power.

Hi Mate

You might get away with replacing the big end bearings but you wont really know until the pan is off and you can inspect the crank(for damage),but the problem wont go away,you are just masking it.You need to replace the short block or get yours reconditioned to eliminate the problem.I can do this for you at a good price.if interested pm me for more info.

good luck

Its a W plate 2000 in year. I just got told by a mechanic that only listend to the engine that its my big end bearings and if im lucky i might get away with just geting new ones if i have caught it early enough. Does anyone suggest this?

I was lucky enough to get away with that for mine. They were changed 4 years ago now and have had no problems since.

When I was shown the old ones it looked like Freddie Kruger had been at them with the amount they were scratched.

As already stated though until they start taking things apart you're not going to know the full damage. It really is a case of just hoping for the best.

I had to have the shortblock replaced 2 years ago, luckily my insurance paid for it, cost was more then 3500£. Sad now because now it is making a different knocking/twittering sound...

:( hi guys not in a happy mood at the moment. My celica vvti is knocking its !Removed! off, and has lost power. i started smelling a burning smell a few days ago but everything seemed fine and car was running smoothly. was just driving home and it just seemed to lose power and start knocking. i have checked the oil and it was low so i toped it up and its still the same. it doesnt sound good at all. i havent had anywarning lights come up or anything.

hopefully some one will have a better knockledge of this and help me out. cheers craig

Hi Craig,

I'm no expert but it seems pretty nasty. I would suggest a few things:

1) I've noticed that there have been quite a few posts about problems with the VVTI engine. Trying putting some key words in the search engine. It should prove helpful.

2)Its probably a touch late in the day but have you checked the car's error codes?

3) There are loads of really knowledgable people on here and i'm sure if you sit tight they will give you a better clue than i have. Might be worth including more details, like model, year of make and any other useful specifics.

Hope this helps mate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links