Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Little Advice On 1991 Gti

LeonR

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody can give me any pointers on the 1991 corolla GTi?

How reliable are they at high mileage? Say 140k.. also, are there any common faults to watch out for.. distributor , headgasket etc?

Me and a mate are looking at doing a 2500mile trip in one (potentially) and Nurinbergring (spelling) would be on the cards.

So far we have narrowed the cars down to the corolla (depending on what you guy say), or the 1989 civic/crx 130bhp version.

Me being 6ft 4 concerns me alittle aswell, how much room do the corollas have in them?

Thanks for your help :D

Hi,

How reliable are they at high mileage? Say 140k.. also, are there any common faults to watch out for.. distributor , headgasket etc?

Me and a mate are looking at doing a 2500mile trip in one (potentially) and Nurinbergring (spelling) would be on the cards.

So far we have narrowed the cars down to the corolla (depending on what you guy say), or the 1989 civic/crx 130bhp version.

Me being 6ft 4 concerns me alittle aswell, how much room do the corollas have in them?

Hello, after having at least 15 of these pass through my hands the biggest issue is rust. Sunroof's, tailgate, rear arches and rear sills in front of rear wheels. If these areas are sound you'll be fine in my opinion. Mechanically they just seem to keep going no matter what abuse you throw at them, only checks I could think of would be normal stuff when looking at an oldish car ( smokey engines, rumbling bottom, gunge in the rad end etc etc ) though never had these issues on a 4AGE lump. Radiators can be a little delicate, handbrakes seize if not used often, apart from that buy one and enjoy it and let me know if you need any spares if you do buy one.

Hi,

Hello

The Gti is prone to a bit of rust, exactly wot redbullae92 said but very reliable in every other way!

Its one of few cars that u can floor it and when u stop it feels like it wants to do it all again!

The selling feature over the crx will be the interior, the dash is sexy and the seats are very comfortable and i

think they where designed by recaro (correct me if im wrong guys!)

I am a fan of the crx but back the Gti on this one! :thumbsup:

Hi,

Hello

The Gti is prone to a bit of rust, exactly wot redbullae92 said but very reliable in every other way!

Its one of few cars that u can floor it and when u stop it feels like it wants to do it all again!

The selling feature over the crx will be the interior, the dash is sexy and the seats are very comfortable and i

think they where designed by recaro (correct me if im wrong guys!)

I am a fan of the crx but back the Gti on this one! :thumbsup:

Done two track days in mine and it still wants more ! A trip to the 'ring will be a walk in the park after you've done oil & filter change and replaced the cambelt just to be safe. Never had a CRX, not as many about and not bought by the same customers when new, though I think they like returning to nature just like a Corolla

Ok well thats confirmed it for reliability! If one pops up I think we will buy it! :D

Thanks for your help, its appreciated!

By the way, what sort of MPG can be expected? is there any kind of "safe zone" for high speeds.. obviously bouncing off the limiter is not going to help it on the autobahn.. but what would a good cruiseing speed be? 85-90 ?

Cheers again!

So you wanna have a GTi -

Good choice (-but then so is a Honda CRX and ...don't forget the 80's Nissan Sunny GTi plus the little '80's hot hatch' - the Suzuki Swift GTi).

Rust as others have said can be a problem but it's NOT a major issue compared to say a 60's or 70's car (which would usually need welding at eight year old onwards -believe my I know ...constantly :lol: ).

My advice would be check the following -

Bodywork:-

Front wings rust were inner arch joins it on wheel arch.

Sunroof can sometimes rust but... ...only if an owner did NOT take it in when Toyota issued a recall when most cars were about 4 to 6 year old - I had to and have never had problems.

Rear of sill can carrode plus inner sill.

Rear arch can go around rear bumper mount

Some people have 'claimed' tailgate rusts

and

Rear shock absorber turret mounts can rot bad but if car has been periodically waxoiled from new this will not be a concern.

mechanically

Distributor drive can leak oil - if only 'weeping' live with it

Gearbox can suffer from jumping out of 3rd or 5th

Rear brakes - Toyota really slipped up here! - these can seize up within 9 months (usually slide gums up) and it was a major problem when cars were new!

MPG -

- If you drive it normally a motorway run will see at least 45-50MPG

Good choice -

after all the 80's were a good decade for car build quality :yes:

:yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links