Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Still Like My Yaris!

alan589

"My SR by contrast is one of the nicest cars i've ever driven - it seems having more weight up front and larger wheels / lowering springs really does makes a difference to the way the car behaves and feels. The diesel engine is also light years ahead in terms of pace and refinement.

So there we go then - basic spec petrol = cheap and rubbish, top spec diesel = awesome".

Hmmm.

Whilst I am no fan of the later current Yaris' as it has grown beyond belief and there are no proper sports models (T Sport editions as with the old P1 & P2's). I have never yet met someone who found having a heavy great engine stuck above the front wheels who thought it improved the behaviour of a car, maybe good if you want to go in a straight line down a motorway, but it will only cause understeer in turns and suffer hideous torque steer exiting tight bends/junctions and roundabouts. Each to their own but some people will like the engaging thrashy nature of a petrol; even if most of the current petrol engines are underpowered to haul such a big car around, over a wheezing diesel which runs out of puff at 4500rpm. You only need look at the popular motoring press, you'll hardly ever see a much loved diesel in Top Gear or Evo when it comes to handling.

The main beef I had with the courtesy car was how light (and prone to understeer) the front end of the car was. Combined with the high seating position and lack of lowering, it felt like the car needed some more weight upfront to make it feel more balanced.

Of course the real test would be to take out a 1.3 SR with the same wheels / springs and see what a difference that makes, and see whether there's a noticeable difference between the petrol and diesel. For reference, the diesel engine in the new yaris is only 5kg heavier than the 1.33 petrol alternative.. so it's not exactly a 'heavy great engine'.

All up to your individual tastes I guess. All I know is that the base spec petrol I had was rubbish, and my diesel SR is awesome... hehe

The main beef I had with the courtesy car was how light (and prone to understeer) the front end of the car was. Combined with the high seating position and lack of lowering, it felt like the car needed some more weight upfront to make it feel more balanced.

Being a courtesy car the tyres are probably inflated to 50psi. I bet you didn’t check the pressures?! The seats do have a height adjustment which would solve the high seat issue :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like the Yaris isn't for you.

My dad's got an Octavia estate which drives nice but is big and boomy and way excessive over something Id personally need size wise.

I had a ride in my mates 06 1.2 Corsa twinport and when he was doing 30~40 even in 3rd / 4th you can't talk over the interior noise. Just road noise.

Tin-can-Yaris isn't as bad to me. The rides excellent over bumps, it corners predictably unless you're over aggressive (though the light steering takes some getting used to) and it'll never get broken into unless you want it to be.

To me, you've been driving luxury Saloons and then decided to switch to a hatch back, bought a Yaris, drove it like a Saloon and then you've been disappointed by it. But that's speculation.

To get anywhere near the speed and handling of what you're asking, you probably want a hot hatch. Low, attention grabbing, quick and it'll behave how you want. The Yaris isn't this and the drivers know it and typically love it because of it.

Personally, if I wanted to draw attention to myself, Id drive a proper sports car. Not an Impreza or Evo either (which let's face it are 4WD family car's with big engines.) Im talking about something sleek, ideally no roof and only 2 seats. And certainly not a hot hatch. Nothing against hot hatches, I just never see the point. For the same price as a NEW Corsa VXR for example, you can buy a used S2000. Both do about the same to the gallon, but one's a hatchback with a big engine, and one's a soft top sportscar. Replace S2000 with RX8, MR2, Celica - you get the idea.

Oh and I love my Yaris but I might have to see the transexual car go (yes sometimes I refer to mine as a he and other times as a she) as Im off to Uni and might not be able to get a space...

I personally hate diesels and would never have one!! :angry:

And yes, i have drove a few from crappy old fiesta's to newer mondeo's and still i hate them. :censor:

But that's just me, i allways like a revvy petrol engine and the feeling you get from it.

I do disagree with shappers though....Maybe your "Top spec" diesesel is a great car and yes, you probably love it but a boggo 1.0 older Yaris is still a damn good car and will probably be more reliable than your smart new model!! :lol:

And yes, i absolutely love my Yaris aswell. :D

To get anywhere near the speed and handling of what you're asking, you probably want a hot hatch. Low, attention grabbing, quick and it'll behave how you want. The Yaris isn't this and the drivers know it and typically love it because of it.

Not really.... and to reiterate, this is not my car. My wife decided she wanted a cheap hatchback rather than a decent car. I am in the fortunate position where there is no budget constraint and I guess my definition of a "decent car" would not tally with most in here. Replace it? Piece of cake but my wife would have to admit a mistake!

There is also the little matter that a slightly used Toyota is of little to value even to a Toyota dealer (who will have access to fields full of new Yari and stuff). And this particular box needs to keep going long enough to be traded, a trick it has thus far been unable to pull off.

There is always, of course, the scrappage scheme!

There is also the little matter that a slightly used Toyota is of little to value even to a Toyota dealer (who will have access to fields full of new Yari and stuff). And this particular box needs to keep going long enough to be traded, a trick it has thus far been unable to pull off.

I'm confused by this comment - the Yaris is well known for keeping it's value, it's a desirable small car. Just have to scout around autotrader to see 3 year old models still getting a very respectable price.

I have had my yaris for nearly 2 years and i still like it. I usually have a boredom threshold of 12-18mths and it hasnt happened yet! I am in my mid forties and have owned lots of cars fast and slow dull and daft. However, despite the Yaris's failings ie cheap plastic, non-illuminated switches, fuel consumption not quite as advertised etc etc I still like it and still think that it looks smart and a lot better looking than most supermini's.

Although i am not a kid, i have lowered it 30mm on TTE springs and it has 17" wheels. It looks great. It is beyond me why toyota haven't produced a seriously quick Yaris powered by an engine similar to the one in the corolla ts, that would be great. A tweaked diesel with about 150 bhp and lots of torque would be interesting too.

Mine has a PSI powerbox fitted giving about 109bhp and good torque. It really improves the car, just quick enough to be fun without being silly....happy days. :)

And in a vague effort to keep this subject on topic...

Alan, have you got any photos of your car? I'd be interested to see how it looks like 17" wheels.

Have you noticed any negative side effects from installing the powerbox? I'm looking at sticking something similar on mine (although i'll be getting mine from Parts-King!) although i'm going to wait until the cars a year old and got afew more miles under it's belt before I do.

Agreed, good on you.

I've only owned my Yaris T Sport 18 months myself and I too usually have itchy feet by now, but not with my little giant slaying Yaris, it's immense; and again I have had some great cars in my time, Civic Type R, Clio Sport, and Toyota GT coupe (Levin), but this time round I'm keeping the Yaris and buying an MX5 Sport as a second car as the Yaris has to stay.

The only question remaining is - Toyota where are all the sporty models now, c'mon we want a new Yaris T Sport now people!!!

regards

Yumma

Which reminds me Yumma, ever see this thread I posted back along? Check out the Second link for a very... very nice SR 1.8 ;) Supercharged - 270nm torque and 215PS power, which off the top of my head I think is around 220bhp :E

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84657

http://www.garage-frey.ch/YarisP9.htm

I'm confused by this comment - the Yaris is well known for keeping it's value, it's a desirable small car. Just have to scout around autotrader to see 3 year old models still getting a very respectable price.

Not quite, hundreds of 1-3 year old Yaris advertised at opportunist prices. They are not making them. Sister in Law was offered £3000 off a new 1.33 T Spirit (she bought a Jazz thankfully) which makes a 15 month old 1.3 TR worth about 5 to 5.5k rather than the silly money being asked. That's 50% of last year's list - though few will have paid anywhere near list.

Desirable small car? Not in my book.

Stoford Yaris, why don't you just sell your Yaris instead of slating it to death on a !Removed! Yaris forum?

I can't agree with anything you say, esp the oil quote....The 1.3 needs 1litre every 1000miles? :huh:

I've done well over 1000 miles in mine and never had to top up the oil, neither have i had any electrical problems, gearbox probs, clutch issues ect ect...

Seems the Yaris isn't really suited to you them. :lol:

I totally agree......................I am on my second Yaris and both of them have been totally faultless and have never needed oil top ups between services.

Stoford Yaris...............Maybe the Yaris is not for you..................or your wife :lol:

I agree with all comments.

I had a 1.0 2004 T3 brand new Yaris, which I part exchanged against my current 1.3 Blue a year later in March 2005 for a bit more power and air-con.

I do want to get rid of my Yaris in a way, because I really want to change now but apart from having the rest of the finance to pay off I can't quite bear to say bye to it. Mines done 48400 miles now and it does have a rather irritating squeak from the brakes but I still do love it. It looks decent, has the digital display and does it's job nicely. I use it through the week for my daily commute which totals 30 miles all round and it does approx 43mpg and at least 330 miles to a full tank.

Sure there are better cars about, but there is also worse. It's a shame that Stoford Yaris didn't have a good experience with his but there are bad apples occasionally and sounds like you unfortunately got one.

So yeah I still love mine too (just not as much as my MR2!)

Arrr.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Stoford, but I'm not someone to keep something I don't like or have issue with... I mean I changed my brand new car which was 8 months old for another brand new one cos two people whacked into it. The repair work was spot on.. but meh.. didn't feel the same knowing someone hit it... and things were just milimeters outta place :E

Still, the only other cars I'd consider buying at the moment is the Auris SR180 (preferably one of the T180 converts for the keyless entry), Blade 2.4ltr D-VVT-I, Blade Master G, or the Aurion TRD. Problem with the Master G and the Aurion TRD... is they are both automatic.... and that shizzle just ain't cricket :(

Well I initially loved my 1L GS and being my first car I was well chuffed and considering Yaris is bit of a girly car mine looks nice and sporty (3 door, black, toyota rims that still to this day haven't seen on another car and the little spoiler at the back) but after nearly 2 years the love is starting to go :( i mean the car has not street cred, the 1L engine is just arghhhh.... and its way too small!

Don't get me wrong its a brilliant little car, cheap to run, haven't had a problem with the car at all and considering the way i drive the car its a miracle ^_^ but it not the car for me, I was about to have some subtle mods but not really worth it and during the summer i will most likely sell it off and get another car :(

Not quite, hundreds of 1-3 year old Yaris advertised at opportunist prices. They are not making them. Sister in Law was offered £3000 off a new 1.33 T Spirit (she bought a Jazz thankfully) which makes a 15 month old 1.3 TR worth about 5 to 5.5k rather than the silly money being asked. That's 50% of last year's list - though few will have paid anywhere near list.

Desirable small car? Not in my book.

depends on spec and engine I guess... I was looking at the T spirit and SR diesels, which are still commanding very good prices.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links