Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris T-sport Cv Joints

Cooter22

Hi all. I need to replace the CV joints on both sides of my 2003 Yaris T-Sport, as it's developed that tell-tale clicking noise on full lock going both left and right. I have a couple of queries regarding their replacement:

1. I'm assuming it's the outer joints that need replacing, as my limited mechanical knowledge tells me these are the ones that commonly wear on most cars. Can anyone confirm if this is likely to be the case on the Yaris?

2. I've discovered this morning (courtesty of Parts-King, thanks John) that genuine Toyota joints are very expensive. A quick e-bay search has revealed some much cheaper alternatives, but I think they are the inner joints (outers are more expensive) and there is always the question of quality with e-bay purchases. Does anybody have any recommendations for non-genuine parts suppliers?

3. If anybody out there had had this job done I'd be grateful for some approx prices, both for the parts and the labour.

Thanks

I was told by Toyota that you could only buy the whole driveshaft assembly, not just the CV joint. In the end I got 2 complete driveshaft assemblies 2nd hand - about £100 a couple of years ago I think?? The ones from the diesel Yaris also fit. Mine is a 2001 car, not sure if it's the same on the 2003.

I also need a CV joint replaced. The clicking noise is annoying.

My local independent garage quoted £130 for x1 aftermarket CV joint (plus shaft) OR £300+ for the proper Toyota part. Not including labour.

I've also noticed those ones on eBay, so I'm still thinking about what to do.

I think rallybunny is right, you have to replace the whole assembly if the actual joint is knackered (like mine). However if its just the rubber boot that has perished then you can getaway with just replacing it and repacking the joint with grease to stop the bearings rattling, which is what happened to my old saxo.

Thanks for the comments guys. It does indeed seem that the outer joints are only available complete with new drive shaft. I'm gonna do a bit more research, but it looks like it might have to wait until funds allow. I've got a new clutch waiting to go in and I was hoping to get both jobs done at the same time since you have to drop the drive shafts out to do the clutch. Funny how things are never that straight forward isn't it?! :lol:

You can get:

Inboard joints on their own

Outboard joints come with the shaft (less the inboard joint)

Full shaft including BOTH CV joints

There are different shafts for various years, and French/Jap specs are different shafts

If anybody wants a price for any combination of the above PM ME YOUR CHASSIS NUMBER, I cant sort out correct parts without the VIN number on these

Kingo :thumbsup:

the cv joint is easily replaceable but always buy the book kit as that normmally gets worn down so best to get new boot kit to pack it with new grease. i had to change one of mine last year its a really easy job but yes part was more expensive from toyota but than again it is a important part of car so why replace it with a part of poorer quality?

i think i paid around £130 for a cv joint and boot kit

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links