Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloy Problems

Vloothuis

Has anyone else had problems with there alloys?

I got the standard ones with the my 52 plate Celica and they are all starting to blister. I went back to Mr T and they are all being replaced under the warrenty. Even the smallest mark was enough. Has anyone else had this as they belive that this is the first case. Doubt that very much. But I must hand it to MR T. Excellant service and no hassle. Well done.

It hasnt happened on my 96 Paseo but both my mums new Rav 4 and my dads x reg MR2 have suffered from that!!!

They got told that it was a fault that has come up more than once with the new alloys. Are yours the dimond cut ones or the 15" or 17" 5 spokes??

My alloys are the standard 16" 5 spoke (I think) I wonder if this is just with toyota or with other cars also, I have also heard that its due to the brake dust?.

Yep, im affraid its a common thing. Ive got the Yaris T-Sport and they're starting to flake.

Im gonna have to get mine back to Toyota to have them replaced.

Dont be surprised if it happens to your new set!! :o

Lee

Celica wheels have been modified though now with 3 times the paint coating & also painted on the rear of the spokes aswell making them alot better but not 100%

• 4 weeks later...

Had mine refurbished today on my RAV & after speaking with the guy doing the job, he says most of his work is at Lexus & Merc dealerships.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a RAV4 nearly 12 months old and I have done 7500 miles. I noticed that my the front alloys had started pitting. The others appear to be ok.

I went to my local Toyota dealer in Leeds and they examined the alloys and said that the will order 2 new ones after much pondering..

Yesterday I had them fitted and I asked about the warranty on the new ones. I was told that if they had problems within 12 months then I need to go back to them. This meant that I would loose out on 1 years warranty out of my 3 years.

Is this right?

I asked about the other alloys as I was concerned about the quality of those as i did not want problems just after my warranty expires especially is there is a 'known problem' that they will not admit to.

The dealer did not want to know and was not helpful. I mentioned that I had heard about problems Toyota alloys and he said this was news to him and they have only had problem on one in the past. He seemed very dismissive and wanted to get me out of the place fast.

Has any of you had similar problems? Should I have insisted on having the FULL set replaced? Are the replacement the same quality or have they treated them better...and how will I know this?

Sorry about so many questions but I will appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

Vino

No I would say if you have a three year warranty, that is what you've got, if the engine failed after a year and they put in another would that not have the continuous warranty? Tell em straight now, it will be being checked until the three years are up and if ya not happy get em swapped out, what I would do is make sure they rotate them so all four get replaced. :yes:

:huh: HI

Reading all the articles about alloy wheels has prompted me to join the ranks of other Toyota owners who have been having the same problem as myself.

My Previa is coming upto its third birthday on April 27th and I have had a new set of alloys each year from Mr T under warranty. I am having the car serviced on the 21st of this month and again the wheels will be under discussion. I will still have a week of warranty left so no excuse for them not being replaced.

I only use Toyota cleaning products on the wheels so what's the problem?

I have noticed that on Toyotas that have smooth alloys they don't have any problems (friend has a Avensis no probs there) but mine are slightly rough in the design so brake dust etc gets caught up.

I will keep you informed of the next round of the "Alloy debate"

Regards.

ELVEY

i have a mate with an x-reg celica. he has had 4 sets of alloys and is on his 5th now all under warranty. according to the dealer there is a big problem with the alloys on the celica. they just blister

I have a 2002 Corolla T-sport which I believe shares the same wheels as some of the Celica's.

I'm new to all of this, does anyone have a picture of what a blistered Alloy actually looks like?

Joely,

Look closely at the wheels, they should all be smooth with no bumps at all, (Or scratches) if you have bumps they can look small and slighty cracked like when you paint a wall and the paint starts to come off. The smallest blister is enough to have that wheel replaced.

On the subject of wheels I had all four replaced under W an a week later I had a slow puncture that Mr T should of spotted the first time i was in. Turns out when they changed the tyre they damaged the wheel when moving the weight in the wheel. I can believe what they said. You can not get the weight off without damageing the wheel, you always have to scratch it...... Well anytime I need new tyres now I am sure that Mr T will be paying for new wheels everytime... Anybody heard of this...

• 2 weeks later...

You would be surprised on what cars i have changed wheels under warranty for.

Lexus IS200's are the worst

as long as you hadven't kerbed them, they are covered under warranty

anyone wanna see a list of what cars suffer from pitting alloys?

AutoGlym sell an alloy wheel protector product. This suggests to me that ALL alloys suffer in some way, not just Toyota ones. Getting them changed under warranty seems like a real bonus.

Maybe the problem goes back further. Did Model T Ford wheels suffer from woodworm? :rolleyes:

Rich

:thumbsup: this is my first visit to the forum and a very helpful one. i had a friend who had discolouration on his alloys on a rav4=precursor to pitting?and he casually mentioned it to the mechanic when it had its first service.when he picked it up he had 4 new updated alloys free.i have just bought a rav4 tx3 and i will be checking to see if they are the "smooth type" first thing in the morning.

This suggests to me that ALL alloys suffer in some way, not just Toyota ones.

hi

i seen a honda CTR with the same problems maybe it is....

iam on my 3rd set too..

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah i just had all 4 replaced under warranty on my 2001 MR2.

The new ones are supposed to have more protection though so hopefully it won't come back!

Great service by toyota though, just took the car in the dealer and they had a look, ordered 4 new ones and a week later i have 4 brand new alloys.

Great service!

Hi I've just had my second service and asked them to look at the alloys on my Yaris T-Sport as they look terrible. he said that they would probably come up OK with a good clean but they'll replace them (all four - none kerbed) I thought this was great as I was expecting an argument to get them replaced although they certainly wouldn't come up with a good clean as the alloys are bubbling ang aroung the hub is all cruddy and flacking !! But Well done Hills Of Woodford for replacing them all with no problem. and they were very nice as well.

Kaz

Being the nice guy that I am I was washing the In-laws cars as i was doing mine.

On my father in-laws Mazda 6 estate. The same problem on the alloys. He has had the car from brand new for less then a year and has done only 4,000 miles. He is now going back to get this changed also. Looks either like all alloys do it, in which case car companies must lose soo much money when people change them all the time, or only the cheap ones do it (Not trying to offend).

Anybody who has spent big bucks on there alloys had this problem??

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a little problem where it has started to blister on one of mine but i have put some aftermarket ones on now , but i got told a year or so ago that it is due to the acidity of our roads it reacts with the laquer and eats it away .i guess salt in winter and stuff doesnt go down to well.

• 1 month later...

alloys that blister/corrode quicker tend to be the ones that the Manufacturer supplies as original equipement when new.

Back in the 1980's the Corolla GTi, MR2 and Celica all suffered from this. The 1989 Corolla GTi I bought used from a Toyota Dealer in 1993 (and which I still have) had corroded alloys that had to be refubished before resale. These then 're-corroded' in about 2 years so an aftermarket set was chosen.

What I chose was TSW 'Stealth' purchased in 1996 and these are still on the car today and show no signs of blistering at all! They have been in use all year round!

Needless to say when the time came to change the wheels on my later Toyota GS it was TSW again.

I WORK 4 TOYOTA AND ALL WE SEEM 2 BE DOING AT THE MOMENT IS alloys UNDER WARRANTY DAY AFTER DAY EVEN IF ITS A VERY SMALL BUBBLE THEY WILL DO IT

ITS THE DEAL THEY HAVE WITH TOYOTA

SO PPL CHECK YOUR WHEELS LOL

• 3 months later...

I'm afraid they only replace the wheels (or recondition as was my case back in '93). If they replaced the tyres with new ones for free as well then that would be wonderful... a free new set of tyres every 2 or so years, we can but dream.

Having said that I did have a new full set of tyres replaced for free on an MGB GT of mine due to the fact after 18 months of motoring the first new set I had started to 'perish'. I went back to the Tyre centre I had them from (not expecting much hope) and straight away one of the more senior fitters stated sraight away the tyres were at fault, he got straight on the phone and after the phone call replaced them (including new valves and balancing) for free with no quibble. There was even cracks between the tread when we looked after they were off...and the make of the tyre ...Yokohama! I've never had problems with this manufacturer before or after. Despite this I run Yokohama on my cars today and are well pleased. Good for grip and quietness

• 2 months later...

I've got a Nov 2004 Corolla T3 Auto Hatchback which started to pit at 1000 miles. It now has 5000 miles and the pitting is awful. I'm going to sell the car at 10K (not because of the pitting) and will get Toyota to change them under warranty just before I sell it. LOL.

Having said that. I think it's pretty crap of Toyota to supply alloys of such sub standard Quality on brand new cars. If Toyota knows this is an issue, perhaps that should replace them as standard on every service.