Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats My Pc Worth

Hou

Right guys,

Relised that i am only ever using my PC for a game every now and then, the rest of the time it gathers dust while I use my laptop so i thinking about selling it and getting a xbox 360 for gaming.

Problem is I am not sure its worth anything these days or not, bit out of touch.

Off the top of my head it has:

Case with PSU

AMD Athlon 64 3.2Ghz Processor (think thats correct will check)

3GB DDR Ram

256 MB PCI-E Nvidea Geforce 6600 LE Graphics Card

40GB Hdd and 80 Hdd (might just sell with a new one)

DVDRW

Wireless G Network Card

Keyboard and mouse

15" LCD Screen but might keep that for when I work at home and sell with 17" CRT

Any ideas?

Right guys,

Relised that i am only ever using my PC for a game every now and then, the rest of the time it gathers dust while I use my laptop so i thinking about selling it and getting a xbox 360 for gaming.

Problem is I am not sure its worth anything these days or not, bit out of touch.

Off the top of my head it has:

Case with PSU

3GB DDR Ram

40GB Hdd and 80 Hdd (might just sell with a new one)

DVDRW

Wireless G Network Card

Keyboard and mouse

15" LCD Screen but might keep that for when I work at home and sell with 17" CRT

Any ideas?

£ 20.00 - £ 50.00

Not a lot. As it stands, no more than £50/£60 on a good day. You may get more money by selling the parts separately at somewhere like the Computer Exchange.

Here

Old computers are only really worth anything to scamsters that think they can glean bank details from hard drives I'm afraid :(

Probably the best bet is sell it to someone barebones who is looking fo build a media PC, as they won' need mega power.

As suggested I think the value is less than £100 :(

Another big problem is as Karma highlighted.... security is very important so if you want to sell it then have the hard drives formatted and reloaded with the fewest of programmes. That way all info will be deleted.

Another big problem is as Karma highlighted.... security is very important so if you want to sell it then have the hard drives formatted and reloaded with the fewest of programmes. That way all info will be deleted.

I could recover old data from your reformatted hard drive ....... so the only secure way is to remove it from the PC and hit it very hard with a hammer .... i'm being serious here!

Or you can buy an external usb enclosure and fit your old drive in it to use as extra storage/backup for your laptop. Sell your old PC without a hard drive once you have shown the buyer it's working.

Regards Pete.

I could recover old data from your reformatted hard drive ....... so the only secure way is to remove it from the PC and hit it very hard with a hammer .... i'm being serious here!

Or you can buy an external usb enclosure and fit your old drive in it to use as extra storage/backup for your laptop. Sell your old PC without a hard drive once you have shown the buyer it's working.

Regards Pete.

Yep, only way to do it well is to physically destroy the drive, or whack it in an enclosure.

And I'd have to agree that you'd probably get most money for that selling it as parts.

And I'd have to agree that you'd probably get most money for that selling it as parts.

The only things worth any money (and it won’t be much) will be the memory and probably the graphics card, and possibly the network card.

Case and power unit are worth no more than £20, the DVD-RW depending on speed will be £5/£7, keyboard and mouse £5 if you are lucky and you can’t even give a 17” CRT away.

Unless you know what you are doing then keep your hard drives, reformatting won’t stop the techie from retrieving your data.

It may be best to keep it or give it to a family member/friend who doesn’t have a PC :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

Yep, only way to do it well is to physically destroy the drive, or whack it in an enclosure.

No need to destroy the hard drive, just run this on it: http://www.dban.org/

As for the PC, its worth no more than a bag of peanuts. Stick it in your local paper you might get someone to pay 50 for it....

You won't get that much selling the parts separately..... computer parts are fairly cheap and you can get some good deals at the moment and the spec isn't that great compared to what you can get nowadays.

I built Johnny 5 in September last year for around £250 (not including the monitor) (parts bought from a local pc company and ebuyer) and he was a really good spec at the time.

If I were you Hou I'd just donate it to a friend or family member - it's just not really worth selling....

You could donate it to Computers for Africa :thumbsup:

So they can scam us out of even more money!

By the way, yooz lot are well backward -

run the machine and fire some NOS intae it. Enough fur it tae melt then ye claim the insurance saying the box overheated from a fault somehow.....ye claim a few grand and settle fur £350.....or pit in yer shed an torch the shed. Vandals dae onythin noo-adays! That way ye dubil yer money an get a new shed. Simps as wur wee meerkat pal says! :lol: :lol:

Nah, got it wrong Bothy.

What you do is stick it on eBay like this ....

"Case with PSU

3GB DDR Ram

40GB HD

DVDRW

Wireless G Network Card

Keyboard and mouse"

and say

"Only light use doing my tax returns and on-line banking.

Not technical so buyer requested to reformat hard drive to remove all my personal details and passwords.

Will send anywhere including East Europe and Nigeria"

stick in an new HD loaded up with viruses and wait for the bids to flood in :lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links