Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sound Proofing Diy Style

mjrose

I have recently completed a full soundproofing of the internal floorpan of my 2009 3dr citroen C1 (OK so it's not aygo, but this seems to be be the most popular forum!).

To keep cost's down and following the recommendation of someone on here i think, (adlimon??) i decided to use bitumen 'flashing tape', rather than bespoke deadening materials (dynamat).

Flashing tape is a sticky back bitumen tape which besides being waterproof (it's design use) it is also a good deadening material.

I did the job job in two stages:

Stage 1: Apply to; wheel well area and underfloor boot, up to and including the top of rear strut nuts (tape easily pealed off if access needed), Under the rear seats (seat removal necessary), rear floor and sills (carpet lifted), and a double layer on the inside of the rear wheel arches (rear lower trim panel removed).

Stage 2: Apply to; underneath the front seats (seats removed and carpet lifted), a double layer to the front foot wells and inside of the front arches, front sills and beneath the centre console.

The result of this is that road noise (tyre roar) is significantly reduced; not suddenly like being in a mercedes, but no need to have the stereo so loud at cruising speeds (and you therefore don't get deafened by it when you slow down!), and generally much more pleasent. The loudest noise now seems to be wind noise around the A pillars!

Funny thing is, is that sound proofing the rear of the car made more difference than the front!

I only remembered to take one pic just before i finished:

post-74240-1239893883_thumb.jpg

Total material used:

2 no 10m X 300mm rolls and half of 1 no 5m X 150mm roll of flashing tape

About £60

And it took me about 4-5hrs in total

Mike

Nice job :)

Remember to check that there's nothing limiting your foot pedals.

Have a look at this link for where toyota have added sound proofing in the A pillar. The A pillar easily clips on and off

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95168

Again. Nice job. I also noticed a big difference when I did the boot and spare wheel well

Remember to check that there's nothing limiting your foot pedals.

Have a look at this link for where toyota have added sound proofing in the A pillar.

Foot pedals were fine, although i may hay reduced the accelerator extension by a millimeter or two!

I noticed my C1 had the asphalt sheets as shown in the link, so I assume it will also have the felt. Maybe it needs more felt :rolleyes:

I have recently completed a full soundproofing of the internal floorpan of my 2009 3dr citroen C1

About £60 And it took me about 4-5hrs in total

£1.50 and 30 seconds :lol::thumbsup:

earplugs_Full.jpg

I have recently completed a full soundproofing of the internal floorpan of my 2009 3dr citroen C1

earplugs_Full.jpg

Very dry :D :lol: B)

earplugs_Full.jpg

You was robbed, get mine F.O.C. from reps.

Nice idea on the use of the that material for sound deadoning, might stop leaks too, ho ho.

Rather than the A pillars for windnoise I get most coming from the rear windows in my 5 door, presumably because they are those cheap snap too ones.

Regards

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links