Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 'auto Lights' Change Behavior - Add Daytime Running Light

washakie

Hello,

I have a 2008 Rav4 and it has automatic headlights. The vehicle was purchased in Italy. The auto lights work well, but the problem is, I have moved from Italy and now I am required to used daytime running lights. If i just turn the lights on manually, all the dash elements and SatNav screen go into 'night mode'. This is not ideal.

Does anyone know how I can change the auto lights behavior so that there are daytime running lights on?

Thanks!

Hei og velkommen til forumet :)

Tricky one this, considering that the majority of the members on this forum live in the UK or US, and does not have the need for DRLs...

I did this on my imported 2004 Corolla recently, and did this by bypassing the headlight switch by using relays and a diode... works fine, and the dimming of my sat nav is no longer an issue. Don't know about the automatic headlight nonsense you're talking about.

There might be other members here that have wiring diagrams for the 3rd generation rav, and that might spot the difference between the DRL and non-DRL editions.

The dash lights dimmer switch has a click position on my 09 Rav that will fully illuminate the dash lights even with the lights switched on. Helps if you are driving in fog with your lights on and want to see the dash ;o) It does the same on both my Rav and my Previa although I don't have auto switch on lights. Worth a look anyway and perhaps this is your easiest solution.

Hello,

I have a 2008 Rav4 and it has automatic headlights. The vehicle was purchased in Italy. The auto lights work well, but the problem is, I have moved from Italy and now I am required to used daytime running lights. If i just turn the lights on manually, all the dash elements and SatNav screen go into 'night mode'. This is not ideal.

Does anyone know how I can change the auto lights behavior so that there are daytime running lights on?

Thanks!

You have to push the DISPLAY button to activate as below.

My sat nav booklet page 164 " to display the screen in the day mode even with the headlight switch on, touch "Day Mode" on the adjustment screen for brightness and contrast control" at top of screen

it continues to say that this setting will be memorized in the system until changed

Hope this might help

Guy

Guy

Guy, I don't think he's talking about satnav display, he wants his headlights on during the day I believe.

I'm not required to but I like DRLs so am watching this with interest.

Had a good look through the info I've got. Yep, DRL supposed to be an option:

drl.jpg

However, so far I've not found much more about it (but that's not saying it isn't there). About the only wiring option change I've found relates to bypassing the panel relay for DRL:

DRLwire.jpg

Haven't found anything about a DRL relay.

It's possible I suppose the rest is just an option programmed into the body controller ECU, but it is not listed as one in the info I have. I know some manufacturers will do similar things like that. I know of one that had options for emergency vehicle use in there. Of course, the inevitable happened - an incorrectly programmed body controller - and there was at least one chap driving around with alternate flashing headlamps until they fixed the ECU. nice!

Have you tried asking your local dealer? If anybody knows about these things, I would think it would be dealers in Nordic countries.

The dash lights dimmer switch has a click position on my 09 Rav that will fully illuminate the dash lights even with the lights switched on.

Hey thanks for that. I'd never tried pushing the wheel beyond the end stop. I suppose I should RTFM more. It is in there, but pushed down a corner of a page and I hadn't spotted it. Yes, useful in daytime wet weather driving.

I believe within a few years all new vehicles in EU will be running around with it. Well, It was certainly being proposed.

Hei og velkommen til forumet :)

Spooky, I think understood all of that, without using a translator or phrase book. :thumbsup:

In which case, just how are you going to get the eels out of your hovercraft? :rolleyes: :D

(In the unlikely event you didn't get the last reference, this odd but classic bit of British "comedy" might explain it).

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Guy, I don't think he's talking about satnav display, he wants his headlights on during the day I believe.

Hi Dippy,

He mentioned that the satnav went into night display, as it does when the lights are on - the details I gave should fix that part of the problem.

Guy

I believe within a few years all new vehicles in EU will be running around with it. Well, It was certainly being proposed.

I'm looking foreward to that! I've lived in Belgium for a year, and was always confused whether or not a car was parked or coming towards me... The DRL's really make cars more visible, even in sunlight!

In which case, just how are you going to get the eels out of your hovercraft? :rolleyes: :D

ROFL!

To continue the off topic with some relevance...

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!