Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Double Din Fitment

Scottish_SR

I have a W (00) Corolla SR (facelift model) and was wondering if this double DIN head unit would fit into the dash of my car. Any other Corolla owners know if it will or not?

Help appreciated

Cheers

post-19-1075201737.jpg

should be a small bracket on each side of the unit .. this will then slot into the dash hole and position&fix the headunit correctly ..

Cheers. Do you know if anyone makes a "blanking plate" for the pod that my head unit currently sits in?

Cheers, looks cool. But as always, will have to wait until the summer until im making some money cos im a poor wee student! lol

Ross

Ive just been fiddling around with the "pod" bit and am a bit stuck (scared incase I break anything).

Can I get the actual stereo out of the pod?

The first thing you need to do is remove the air vent panel under the "pod". Do this by pointing each vent towards the roof to give you something to grip. Then gripping a vent in each hand pull the whole thing outwards from the dash. There is a clip on each side of the top of the panel which you will need to depress (try a thin screwdriver for this) to allow it to be completely removed. Don't forget that there is some wiring going to the back of the hazard warning light switch so don't yank it out in case you damage something. If you remove the wiring connector from the back of the switch you can put the panel to one side before you continue. Take a look inside the dash and on each side under the "pod" you will find a stud head that you can remove using a 10mm socket and extension bar. With the pod brackets unbolted use the flat of your hand and give the top of the front of the "pod" a sharp push in an upward direction. The front of the "pod should lift away from the dash top. There are two clips on the bottom of the "pod" which should now be disengaged and this will allow you to pull the whole thing towards you to pull out the clips at the back. Disconnect the wiring connector and the aerial lead from the back of the head unit and you can now remove the screws holding the head unit to the brackets. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes the first time and the more you do it the more confident you will become and the quicker it can be done. Installation is the reverse of the above.

OK here's part two explaining how to remove the panel from the centre console.

Remove the three rotational heater controls by pulling towards you. Underneath there are two Philips head screws to remove. Also pull off towards you the plastic end piece of the air control lever and be ready to catch the small piece of transparent plastic that will fall out. This is the bit that lights up when the external lights are switched on.

Pull out the ash tray at the bottom of the console and use the upper part of the hole to give you a grip on the bottom of the panel. Pull the panel towards you and you should find that it starts to come away from the bottom. A steady continual pull will free the panel from the hidden clips that secure it in place. At the top the panel appears to be fitted under the surrounding trim. Place your fingers behind the console panel and gently ease the panel out from the trim above it. You will find it easier to do this if the air vent panel has been removed first – this allows the trim to flex more easily and makes getting the panel out a simpler job.

On the rear of the panel there are several wiring connectors in the back of the switches. Removing the connectors from the switches will allow you to put the panel to one side while you continue.

The lidded box is held in place with a bracket on each side and the each bracket is fixed to the car with two screws – one top and one bottom. Using a phillips screwdriver remove the screws and withdraw the box. The brackets are attached to the box with two more phillips screws – again mark the bracket so you know where the screws came from.

Hope this helps guys. It's a shame I didn't take any pics when I did mine. I have a go next weekend if the weather allows.

Thanks very much for your help. I knew how to do part 1, but wasnt sure of part 2. I will give it a shot later on 2moro and then finally can look into double DIN.

Cheers again.

Ross

• 4 weeks later...

New here. Good thread very useful stuff 'ae111sr'!

On Saturday I'm picking up my new Corolla (V reg 99 1.3i 16v le) [top speed 105 mph & twin cup holders don't you know :lol: ]

Anyway it's gonna be my pride & joy. I have an Alpine 7876RB headunit that I'd like to install. The description above makes it sound relatively easy but I'm nervous about messing with my emaculate motor on day 1 (I have zero experience of this sort of thing).

Q's-

Will it be obvious how to connect my Alpine to the wires that I'll find? Will I need any special adaptors?

Is the pod really simple to remove? I don't wanna break owt!

Will I be able to get it back together without any rattles afterwards (this is very important to me)

Should I just pay 'a man' to do it? Likely cost?

Will my headunit/car electrics short/explode when I let my 10 thumbs attempt this job?

Sorry to sound like such a fool, I'm probably being paranoid but I've had a blue car with a red bumper for a year and I want to look after this one!

Thanks in advance stereo fitting guru's :thumbsup:

Honestly redboy, its really easy. I was worried at first but after the first time I did it I really wondered why I was worrying at all! Just follow the steps ae111sr has put down and you wont go wrong.

Mine is annoying though cos ive got all the fuel consumption stuff and that and my stereo is actually built into the pod. :(

Just means that I have to get a spare from somewhere before I can start sorting out it all.

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

1999 V 1.3i 16v Corolla SE

Thanx Scottish SR! - I am now confident about trying the pod thing (when I've got a headunit to put in my old car so I can get my Alpine out of that!)

However, I have another problem - got my car at the weekend and it's sound - EXCEPT - the sound quality from the factory fit is awful, I hadn't figured that Toyota would have decided not to put any Speakers in the rear!!! :angry:

Have you changed /added rear Speakers (anyone?) There seems to be no screws on the back panels either side of the parcel shelf where the speaker housings are - Do they just pull off? Is it easy? will it break? and do you think the wires will already be present or am I gonna have to sort them out too? Also does anyone know if the front Speakers will handle the 60w output from my Alpine?

I'd really appreciate any help on this - I need some decent quality audio as it's putting me off my new car but I'm nervous about damaging a mint motor. Scottish SR / anyone please help me out!

The speakers need to go in the standard place as I want to keep the car as original as possible and the robbing :censor: 's round here would soon have it away with anything visible! Do the housings take 6x9"s?

Sorry for all the questions peeps, any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Redboy :thumbsup:

1999 V 1.3i 16v Corolla SE

I had a look into changing the back Speakers, decided against 6 x 9 's.

Was just going to change originals for higher power output.

However, after taking off the panels at side of parcel shelf (will take some photos soon to show you how) I couldnt work out how to remove the originals.

ae111sr showed me a parts diagram for the rear area of the car and it looks like you might need to take the rear seats out and everything to access the Speakers. I will have a go at this sometime soon when I feel brave enough!

The front Speakers aren't quite as bad (still need a bit of courage though) I will try them again soon.

I think my driver side speaker is knackered anyway :-(

Ross

Thanks Ross, photos would be great :thumbsup: .

Sorry to hear removing rear Speakers is a pain for you mate - as mine has never had any Speakers in the rear should I be able just to drop some in after taking the panels off (when you tell me how ;) )?

Do you know what size your originals are? I'd like to have a bash this weekend all being well! So need to get them purchased! Did you decide against 6x9's cos they will be tricky to fit?

Hopefully I can leave well alone with the front Speakers - you think they'll be ok with Alpine headunit? They seem a tad weedy!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out :thumbsup:

Cheers

Paul

Sorry for replying to my own thread!

:help: Still need guidance on removing rear panels where Speakers go (either side of parcel shelf) on 97-00 Corolla!

Please help Ross? or anyone? - Looks like they might just pull off but don't want to risk it without advice.

Thanks

Paul

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long to reply paul, been really busy at university.

Dont know if this will help or not, but its the same point at which i am at at the moment.

View after you have taken out your parcelshelf

STEP 1 - Use a screwdriver and prise the panel at the first indentation

STEP 2 - Move the screwdriver further up the panel seam, popping out the connections along the way.

Last part to pop out

View after panel is off

All ive tried so far! Not had much time to do anything else.

Its easy to put back on, just line it all up and push down

Hope this helps, will try a bit further later on, keep in touch.

ross

Busy, at university? Drinking no doubt! :D

Anyway thanks for the pictures Ross, if I'd noticed the little cut out for the screw driver I'd have popped that trim off ages ago! Sorry for being thick :rolleyes:

I had no Speakers in mine but the wires were present so I've popped some in now, and the sounds a lot better! :thumbsup:

Apparantly my Alpine headunit requires a power cable running direct from the Battery so now I've gotta mess around getting through the bulkhead! Hopefully I'll be able to figure that out and then I can finally put my beloved CD player in its rightful place.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

L8r

Paul

Yeah its easy if you see that bit. No problem anyway. Ive not tried getting through the bulkhead yet because ive still got my crappy LCD in the pod at the mo.

I wish it was all drinking at uni like!!!!! Ive not been out for a proper good night out since last September!!!!!!

But finish on Friday, then working for a few weeks.

Anyway, no probs

Speak later

ross

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

1st post from me, I stumbled accross this little community whilst googling for instructions on how to remove the factory installed stereo on my 1999 (V reg) Corolla, a car which I was lucky enough to be given recently. Its a brilliant little car and I am loving it after having to drive an old Nova for the past 3 months :D.

After finding the posts on these forums very useful (particularly the post on this thread by ae111sr) and helped me out alot so I thought that I would contribute something back taking pictures of the various stages as I was doing it and posting them up on here so that they might be helpful to someone else embarking on the same task. Hopefull the images will compliment the excellent instructions posted by ae111sr. Sorry about ressurecting an old post but thought it was better than starting a new topic about the same thing.

(Pics are of my 1999 V Corolla)

So heres the central column of the dashboard where the stereo pod sits

Use a flat bladed screw driver to prise the lower part of the air vent panel out

The panel should pop out like so...

The panel can be completely detached by unclipping the hazard warning cable

The panel completely removed...

The stereo pod is attached by these two bolts. Rremove them using a 10mm socket wrench.

After the bolts are removed, the pod can be lifted off.

Detatch the stereo cable from the rear of the stereo

The stereo is attached to the pod by 2 screws/bolts on either side.

Hope someone finds this post useful.

BTW these pictures are hosted on the webspace provided for me by my ISP so I can't gurantee they will be around for ever. Perhaps the forum mods can upload the pictures to someplace more permanent if they are deemed useful.

Cya.

Phelan.

Hi all,

1st post from me, I stumbled accross this little community whilst googling for instructions on how to remove the factory installed stereo on my 1999 (V reg) Corolla, a car which I was lucky enough to be given recently. Its a brilliant little car and I am loving it after having to drive an old Nova for the past 3 months :D.

After finding the posts on these forums very useful (particularly the post on this thread by ae111sr) and helped me out alot so I thought that I would contribute something back taking pictures of the various stages as I was doing it and posting them up on here so that they might be helpful to someone else embarking on the same task.  Hopefull the images will compliment the excellent instructions posted by ae111sr. Sorry about ressurecting an old post but  thought it was better than starting a new topic about the same thing.

(Pics are of my 1999 V Corolla)

So heres the central column of the dashboard where the stereo pod sits

Use a flat bladed screw driver to prise the lower part of the air vent panel out

The panel should pop out like so...

The panel can be completely detached by unclipping the hazard warning cable

The panel completely removed...

The stereo pod is attached by these two bolts. Rremove them using a 10mm socket wrench.

After the bolts are removed, the pod can be lifted off.

Detatch the stereo cable from the rear of the stereo

The stereo is attached to the pod by 2 screws/bolts on either side.

Hope someone finds this post useful.

BTW these pictures are hosted on the webspace provided for me by my ISP so I can't gurantee they will be around for ever. Perhaps the forum mods can upload the pictures to someplace more permanent if they are deemed useful.

Cya.

Phelan.

Exactly the right thing to do mate and welcome to TOC

I've added a link to this thread in the one I originally created - all text.

Edited by ae111sr

Thanks for the welcome :)

My next task is to add some rear Speakers. My car only came with front Speakers and their quality isn't that great. I've dismantled the rear plastic cover for the Speakers and found the speaker mount blanking plate which I've takn off. theres a space there for a 13cm speaker (I believe) but I cannot find any wires to wire up the speakers. Does anyone know if the wires are there but tucked away somewhere or will I have to add wiring for rear speakers myself?

Thanks.

Phelan.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread and thanks Phelan for the detailed pics - it's exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Jon.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
OK here's part two explaining how to remove the panel from the centre console.

Remove the three rotational heater controls by pulling towards you.  Underneath there are two Philips head screws to remove.  Also pull off towards you the plastic end piece of the air control lever and be ready to catch the small piece of transparent plastic that will fall out.  This is the bit that lights up when the external lights are switched on.

Pull out the ash tray at the bottom of the console and use the upper part of the hole to give you a grip on the bottom of the panel.  Pull the panel towards you and you should find that it  starts to come away from the bottom.  A steady continual pull will free the panel from the hidden clips that secure it in place.  At the top the panel appears to be fitted under the surrounding trim.  Place your fingers behind the console panel and gently ease the panel out from the trim above it.  You will find it easier to do this if the air vent panel has been removed first – this allows the trim to flex more easily and makes getting the panel out a  simpler job.

On the rear of the panel there are several wiring connectors in the back of the switches.  Removing the connectors from the switches will allow you to put the panel to one side while you continue. 

The lidded box is held in place with a bracket on each side and the each bracket is fixed to the car with two screws – one top and one bottom.  Using a phillips screwdriver remove the screws and withdraw the box.  The brackets are attached to the box with two more phillips screws – again mark the bracket so you know where the screws came from.

Hope this helps guys.  It's a shame I didn't take any pics when I did mine.  I have a go next weekend if the weather allows.