Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Double Din Fitment

Scottish_SR

Hi all,

1st post from me, I stumbled accross this little community whilst googling for instructions on how to remove the factory installed stereo on my 1999 (V reg) Corolla, a car which I was lucky enough to be given recently. Its a brilliant little car and I am loving it after having to drive an old Nova for the past 3 months :D.

After finding the posts on these forums very useful (particularly the post on this thread by ae111sr) and helped me out alot so I thought that I would contribute something back taking pictures of the various stages as I was doing it and posting them up on here so that they might be helpful to someone else embarking on the same task.  Hopefull the images will compliment the excellent instructions posted by ae111sr. Sorry about ressurecting an old post but  thought it was better than starting a new topic about the same thing.

(Pics are of my 1999 V Corolla)

So heres the central column of the dashboard where the stereo pod sits

Use a flat bladed screw driver to prise the lower part of the air vent panel out

The panel should pop out like so...

The panel can be completely detached by unclipping the hazard warning cable

The panel completely removed...

The stereo pod is attached by these two bolts. Rremove them using a 10mm socket wrench.

After the bolts are removed, the pod can be lifted off.

Detatch the stereo cable from the rear of the stereo

The stereo is attached to the pod by 2 screws/bolts on either side.

Hope someone finds this post useful.

BTW these pictures are hosted on the webspace provided for me by my ISP so I can't gurantee they will be around for ever. Perhaps the forum mods can upload the pictures to someplace more permanent if they are deemed useful.

Cya.

Phelan.

Exactly the right thing to do mate and welcome to TOC

I've added a link to this thread in the one I originally created - all text.

Can anyone following this thread tell me if this is the right way to get to the bulbs which illuminate the heater controls? Do I simply follow the instructions above for removing the centre console to replace these bulbs? An would you know what type of bulb it is? Thanks a lot

hi im new just want to put a new head unit in my y reg corolla i was just wandering do i need ant fasure adaptors to put a head unit in as ive seen from one pic it looks like there is one fitted behind or will the pod take it as is??? cheers

• 2 years later...

You will need an adapter for any new head unit.. The headunit comes with an adapter from the headunit to the adapter that you need to buy just look for a Corolla to - (headunit) adapter about £6-8 when I bought one in Jan 08 this will be adequate and work fine :)

• 3 months later...

Hello Everybody,

I don't know where to ask this so I try it here. My buddy has got a '06 Corolla HB 1.4 D4D. He is upgrading the audio system and since I'm the one who could speak some english (we're from Hungary) I got to look for things. Back to the story: ha has bought a Clarion MAX688RBT headunit. All we know that this HU could be compatible with the OEM Steering Wheel audio controls. Could somebody tell me what do we need get to make the whole thing work? (I would appreciate if you know dealers/shops as well)

Best regards and Toyota be with You FOREVER!!!

• 2 months later...

i found this thread SOOOOOOO EASY!!! the replacement was smooth sailing! thanks mate. got new sony one in. looking better and sounds great from the old toyota chastise crap

LOL

thanks

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

1st post from me, I stumbled accross this little community whilst googling for instructions on how to remove the factory installed stereo on my 1999 (V reg) Corolla, a car which I was lucky enough to be given recently. Its a brilliant little car and I am loving it after having to drive an old Nova for the past 3 months :D.

After finding the posts on these forums very useful (particularly the post on this thread by ae111sr) and helped me out alot so I thought that I would contribute something back taking pictures of the various stages as I was doing it and posting them up on here so that they might be helpful to someone else embarking on the same task. Hopefull the images will compliment the excellent instructions posted by ae111sr. Sorry about ressurecting an old post but thought it was better than starting a new topic about the same thing.

Use a flat bladed screw driver to prise the lower part of the air vent panel out

The stereo pod is attached by these two bolts. Rremove them using a 10mm socket wrench.

BTW these pictures are hosted on the webspace provided for me by my ISP so I can't gurantee they will be around for ever. Perhaps the forum mods can upload the pictures to someplace more permanent if they are deemed useful.

Cya.

Phelan.

This post is very useful and exactly what I was looking for when I stumbled across this forum so thanks a bunch mate.

I was going to fit a stereo to the bottom above the ashtray and was hoping to find a stereo that was compatible with the pod at the top. Its the standard pod LCD with the fuel consumption and OD displayed.

I could still go this route but would rather fit the stereo into the pod like yours is. My problem is that I cant find anywhere online that sells the fascia for the pod. I have found plenty for the bottom area above the ashtray but then the Pod on the dash has lots of buttons that do nothing and I would rather have the stereo up there.

Has anyone fitted a stereo up there from standard like I intend to and if so where did you get the fascia?

Its prob a good job its quiet at work tonight cause I have wasted half my shift raking through websites haha.

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

After finding the posts on these forums very useful (particularly the post on this thread by ae111sr) and helped me out alot so I thought that I would contribute something back taking pictures of the various stages as I was doing it and posting them up on here so that they might be helpful to someone else embarking on the same task. Hopefull the images will compliment the excellent instructions posted by ae111sr. Sorry about ressurecting an old post but thought it was better than starting a new topic about the same thing.

Cya.

Phelan.

Hello Thanks for that, I will find it useful. What fascia adaptor did you use if one at all. I have seen ones but at a cost of £25. If any one knows of any cheaper ones and where to get them please let me know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links