Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Messages: Check Engine System, Check 4x4 System, Check Vsc System

nest

In a beautyful sunny day, while driving, it poped this messages on my screen, one after the other; I said, of course "WTF!?!?", and stoped the car, with engine running. I looked in the user's manual, to find some answers. I found what every message ment, but I didn't find what's the meaning when all these messages come one after another. Stopped the engine, started again. Same story. I called the dealer, he said theat I should disconect the Battery, than connect it again. I did, and the messages waren't there anymore...for about 200 km. Again, did the same with the Battery, and now all looks great, but for how long? The only thing that seemed strange - after the reconnection of the Battery, when I pushed the Start-Stop button, for a very short period there was a sound just like when the engine is choked. Did anyone had the same problem?

That happend after the 30000km scheduled check-up and oil and filters change, if it matters.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• Davrav

• Michael85

• nest

Hi Nest

Yes it is starting to pop up - Sywy was the first to get it and a mate of mine called the other day with the same thing on his 4.3 which ran out of warranty in March!

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;hl=EGR+valve

It is down to a clogged/sticking EGR valve and records the fault "P0400".

The good news is that Toyota have extended the warranty on this fault to 5 years or 100k miles on parts and labour and the new valve is modified. You need to make your dealer aware so that he can do some digging - they may not be so aware in Romania.

There was one other similar report which was put down to an ABS sensor but given your explanation about the engine noise I suspect the EGR valve.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry874015

Regards

hello,

i have a Toyota rav4 dcat 2006 model.the panel displays messages like check engine,check 4x4 system,check Vsc system.occasionally the engine smokes at only 60000km.these days i have problems starting the car and recently it wont start can anyone help me>?

hello,

i have a Toyota rav4 dcat 2006 model.the panel displays messages like check engine,check 4x4 system,check Vsc system.occasionally the engine smokes at only 60000km.these days i have problems starting the car and recently it wont start can anyone help me>?

Welcome to the club.

See above - you need to contact your dealer and you may need to tell them that Toyota have extended the warranty.

Thanks, Anchorman! Man, I think we all have a lot to learn from you!

So, I understand that it has to do with the type of fuel used? For the moment, all looks great. What are the chances for that valve to clean by itself? Or should I replace it now? Is there any risk if I don't replace it? In the summer I'll make a trip to Greece and I really don't want this to happen while I'm on the road! :)

Hi Nest

Try to get it done now. The new valve is designed to stop this clogging/sticking and I found out today that it is also fitted with a modified inlet manifold. If you wait until it is out of warranty it could be extremely expensive. Your car will have stored the code and it only takes a trip to the dealer.

Get it done at their expense not yours.

I don't know if it is to do with the fuel or the duty. Mine gets high grade fuel but possibly the worst type of duty (short trips) so I just hope mine goes within the warranty period.

The message poped up again. I went to the dealer, checked up the car's computer. "It's from the deposits on the EGR pipes". Got them cleaned, let's hope they will not get messy again. Causes? As Anchorman said, either from the fuel, either from the driving style.

I asked them if they know something about a new valve. They said that the new engine D-4D with 150 hp comes with an electro-valve, wich cleans itself by vibration. The valve on the current RAV was a mechanical one (so, you have to "vibrate" it by yourself :) ).

So, for now, all looks great. I will not keep the rev's under 2000, and let's hope the messages won't pop up again. At least, not very soon.

Anchorgod (as I like to call you :):):) ), you said something about Toyota being aware of this problem. Do you know where I can find something official about that? Ok, they extended the warranty, but for what? Will they replace the valve with a new one, with the same characteristics? Or replace the EGR sensor?... Is there a possibility of replacing the valve with an electro-valve?

Yes Nest a new valve.

Don't let your dealer leave your car like that as it will do it again with time. Ask him to look into the special warranty that applies to this part. It consists of a new design EGR valve combined with a new inlet manifold. Nest you should make them talk to Toyota because this modification is free but it will cost you a fortune if the warranty expires (5 years or 100k miles).

If anyone has a TSB can they show it to us? I am having trouble logging in to the Toyota publications website but if I sort it I will look for a bulletin.

Thanks! I'll keep you informed about the evolution of this case.

I found something here, thanks to shcm: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...st&p=879705

What I can understand is that they reprogram the ECU this way: modify ECU logic to prevent EGR valve from monitoring below 0 grade C, and change detection logic, so that sticking does not trigger DTC unless failure of valve has occured (timing of sticking detection increased). Still, the warranty is 3 years or 60.000 miles/100.000 km. Should this reprogramming be sufficient? It will, for me, if I don't see the dashboard display lights again!:)

Just done the dis-connect Battery thing and the code is not showing - yet. I've been complaining of a rough miss-fire on start up for ages.. especially after it had been raining.. I described it to "Toyota" in Southampton, as if it had "wet spark plug leads" (in a diesel!) All is now revealed..

There seems to be a debate through the forum about the benefit / loss after the ECU reprogramming.. If the EGR valve is changed does the ECU need doing, or is it belt n braces from Toyota?

If the EGR valve is changed does the ECU need doing, or is it belt n braces from Toyota?

Yes, the ECU update will help with over fueling and therefore stop the EGR becoming blocked again (at least that's what the service person told me when I had it done on Thursday!)

It is strange but RRG lady at Macc insisted that the ECU re-map was absulutely not related. It surely is and she needs to know when to stay quiet rather than try to be an expert! I guess the clog factor will be a combination of the type of fuel used, the duty and to some extent driving style and I would guess that duncerwoman's is ideal for clearing the flue!

I took this photo of my mate's modded engine showing the new EGR valve with the red arrow (part No 25620 - 26091) and the green arrow showing the new inlet manifold and I have circled the part No. The original part was 25620 - 26090;

arrows.jpg

I have also attached a pdf showing the manifold as it is a bit hard to tell what is what!

Inlet_manifold.pdf

I guess the clog factor will be a combination of the type of fuel used, the duty and to some extent driving style and I would guess that duncerwoman's is ideal for clearing the flue!

We're quite lucky that where we live are mainly 60mph 'A' roads, plus the A34 is used every day by wife when she goes to work (and she doesn't hang about on that :rolleyes: )

Maybe I could hire Mrs Duncerduncs out to other owners... :lol:

I guess the clog factor will be a combination of the type of fuel used, the duty and to some extent driving style and I would guess that duncerwoman's is ideal for clearing the flue!

We're quite lucky that where we live are mainly 60mph 'A' roads, plus the A34 is used every day by wife when she goes to work (and she doesn't hang about on that :rolleyes: )

Maybe I could hire Mrs Duncerduncs out to other owners... :lol:

There's a name for that kind of service :rolleyes:

I must be wasting my cash on Shell V power diesesel.. I rag the R's out of my T180 and the lamps have still come on at 24K....

I must be wasting my cash on Shell V power diesesel.. I rag the R's out of my T180 and the lamps have still come on at 24K....

Have you had it from new?

In a beautyful sunny day, while driving, it popt this messages on my screen, one after the other; I said, of course "WTF!?!?", and stoped the car, with engine running. I looked in the user's manual, to find some answers. I found what every message ment, but I didn't find what's the meaning when all these messages come one after another. Stopped the engine, started again. Same story. I called the dealer, he said theat I should disconect the battery, than connect it again. I did, and the messages waren't there anymore...for about 200 km. Again, did the same with the battery, and now all looks great, but for how long? The only thing that seemed strange - after the reconnection of the battery, when I pushed the Start-Stop button, for a very short period there was a sound just like when the engine is choked. Did anyone had the same problem?

That happend after the 30000km scheduled check-up and oil and filters change, if it matters.

Hello I had the exact same problem with the same messages. Originally filled the RAV up with BP Ultimate Diesel and everything was good for about 130 mile then the same messages flashed up. It was diagnosed as deposits in the C.A.T pipe causing a blockage. I got the C.A.T changed under warranty as there was a mod. I believe the mod was bigger bore pipe.

In a beautyful sunny day, while driving, it popt this messages on my screen, one after the other; I said, of course "WTF!?!?", and stoped the car, with engine running. I looked in the user's manual, to find some answers. I found what every message ment, but I didn't find what's the meaning when all these messages come one after another. Stopped the engine, started again. Same story. I called the dealer, he said theat I should disconect the battery, than connect it again. I did, and the messages waren't there anymore...for about 200 km. Again, did the same with the battery, and now all looks great, but for how long? The only thing that seemed strange - after the reconnection of the battery, when I pushed the Start-Stop button, for a very short period there was a sound just like when the engine is choked. Did anyone had the same problem?

Hello I had the exact same problem with the same messages. Originally filled the RAV up with BP Ultimate Diesel and everything was good for about 130 mile then the same messages flashed up. It was diagnosed as deposits in the C.A.T pipe causing a blockage. I got the C.A.T changed under warranty as there was a mod. I believe the mod was bigger bore pipe.

Possibly related. The exhaust and the EGR are all connected.

Yes brand new.. now got 24K on it. Milage consumption is down to 33ish now... almost cheaper to use my other car.. but not so comfy or silent!

Yes brand new.. now got 24K on it. Milage consumption is down to 33ish now... almost cheaper to use my other car.. but not so comfy or silent!

That's interesting. So now we know that even run exclusively on high grade diesel and driven in a "spirited" way there is still potential for a problem.

I would definitely insist on the full EGR and manifold combo under warranty as failure outside warranty seems highly likely.

If you phone Customer Relations at TGB on 01737 363633 they will give you a case reference that you can give to your dealer.

That's interesting. So now we know that even run exclusively on high grade diesel and driven in a "spirited" way there is still potential for a problem.

I would definitely insist on the full EGR and manifold combo under warranty as failure outside warranty seems highly likely.

If you phone Customer Relations at TGB on 01737 363633 they will give you a case reference that you can give to your dealer.

Dropped into WKB Chichester this morning. Tried to read the code>>> but no code was stored after I had re-booted the ECU by disconnecting the Battery for 10secs GRRRRRR. They tell me that they have to record the code to start the claim.. I showed the service bloke a bit of video I shot on my phone of the codes but they still have a procedure..... I'll try TGB on Tuesday.. cheers for the info..

• 1 month later...

Engine warning lights of doom on way home tonight just under 16k miles. I don't drive like Miss Daisy see what garage says in the morning. I leave the Battery connected as i am due to go away early friday morning towing a caravan. If it is the egr valve will this have a serious impact?. Power does feel like it has dropped off a bit.

Don't disconnect the Battery or erase the code (see previous post) an don't worry - the EGR is warranted for 5 years/100k.

Diagnosis - EGR valve and a fuel pump with an internal leak. Parts being fitted tomorrow. The mechanic asked if my ECU had been upgraded but it wasn't at last service as Service Dept. said my vehicle was unaffected. Mechanic believes modified EGR should already be fitted and will see what deposits have been left in manifold. Dependent on amount of deposit he may have to notify Toyota Technical?. Still at least it will be fixed tomorrow and i can't fault the dealer for response.