Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

No luck at all with the GTi. It kept hunting when I tried various combinations with the VSV.

I really need someone to post pictures of their system now! Please,

I can't think of anything else to do now... censored.gif

Get a mechanic :D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My summer now begins, my last exam had been sat and I know have roughly 5 weeks free to myself to work on the GTi.

It's booked in to have the rust destroyed :blowup: and I will work for three weeks free of charge to pay it off. Next encounter I will get the RadWeld sorted whether or not the engine hunts and I will also be getting a few other things fitted up:

*Front Callipers

*Front Discs

*Front Pads

*Swapping over the rear pads due to wrong fitting... :blush:

*Drive Shafts

After my exam results come through I may have got good enough grades to have a G Max Suspension kit delivered to my door, along with a bit of cash here and there from other people.

The goal is to have her ready by JAE, at least road legal if not pristine, and the suspension bush kit fitted up when I do the Spring Kit although I will probably only do the things that I don't have to remove.

Pretty soon.... :driving:

Watch this space, because there is a helluva lot coming it's way. ;)

cool.

all the best with the exam results but remember its not the end of the world.

i didnt do well at school and i have a good job and have learned a lot in life.

hope it makes it to JAE, be good to see your hard work in the metal :thumbsup:

I managed to spend a few hours on the GTi today to then find I need to spend another £100+ on a new radiator and fan-switch.

She kept hunting between 2000 and 2500 until I managed to get the coolant flowing properly, at which point she'd dip down and hunt between 800 and 1000. The idling adjusting screw is now in the right place to keep it at a steady idle which she can hold after a while of running.

Annoyingly, when the system manages to pressurise and reach the correct operating temperature, the radiator then leaks terribly not at the cap but from the seam between the top of the radiator and the vains. As the water leaves it hisses and I thought that it had overheated, despite my sender unit being in tact and connected up properly.

Dawesy then told me that the pressure increases the waters boiling point, so I then worked out that it was not overheating, but the water depressurised and then vapourised as it left the system, hissing.

So in essence, my radiator needs replacing and I need to buy a new fan switch, because the fan wouldn't kick in when the gauge went into red once.(I removed the fan from the switch so that it permenantly span).

A bit of a failure, and my quote for getting the rust sorted, minus the respray is going to give me little change from £2000.

Not good... :crybaby:

I did take a few videos, one of the engine, one of the exhaust and one of the exhaust when by the side of the car.

They were taken on a crappy camera and so are nothing special, but they do give a good idea of the bass the exhaust has! :D

What do you think? I absolutely love it! :yes::drool:

I managed to spend a few hours on the GTi today to then find I need to spend another £100+ on a new radiator and fan-switch.

She kept hunting between 2000 and 2500 until I managed to get the coolant flowing properly, at which point she'd dip down and hunt between 800 and 1000. The idling adjusting screw is now in the right place to keep it at a steady idle which she can hold after a while of running.

Annoyingly, when the system manages to pressurise and reach the correct operating temperature, the radiator then leaks terribly not at the cap but from the seam between the top of the radiator and the vains. As the water leaves it hisses and I thought that it had overheated, despite my sender unit being in tact and connected up properly.

Dawesy then told me that the pressure increases the waters boiling point, so I then worked out that it was not overheating, but the water depressurised and then vapourised as it left the system, hissing.

So in essence, my radiator needs replacing and I need to buy a new fan switch, because the fan wouldn't kick in when the gauge went into red once.(I removed the fan from the switch so that it permenantly span).

A bit of a failure, and my quote for getting the rust sorted, minus the respray is going to give me little change from £2000.

Not good... :cyrbaby:

:cyrbaby: Shall I say more :D

:cyrbaby: Shall I say more :D

Judging by the mood I am in right now because of the car today, I'd advise that you don't Raist. ;)

:cyrbaby: Shall I say more biggrin.gif

Judging by the mood I am in right now because of the car today, I'd advise that you don't Raist. wink.gif

I just played your video and it sounds sweet :D

Thanks buddy! I don't mean to be off with you, it's the whole world I am mad at right now. I have to spend another £100+ just on getting it working... :rolleyes: Thanks for taking the time mate. ;)

:)

Thanks buddy! I don't mean to be off with you, it's the whole world I am mad at right now. I have to spend another £100+ just on getting it working... rolleyes.gif Thanks for taking the time mate. wink.gif

smile.gif

What's a few quid in comparison with that great feeling of pride and satisfaction of a job well done thumbsup.gif

One last video, not a great one, I wanted to post the YouTube version instead of PB.

You must be exhausted with all these video's biggrin.gif

sounding good KP! sounds like youre revs are still hunting around though have you had anymore luck

with the TB tubes yet?

p1013280210.jpg

2399793_73_full.jpg

These are pics I have of other peoples cars but with the best view of the TB on the TVIS model!

Hope they help and if the pics work BIG thank you for teaching me how to do them! :thumbsup:

Hi mate!

Thanks a lot and no problem! ;)

Yeh the hunting isn't so terrible once it comes off choke, but it still needs sorting. Unfortunately both of those have different setups to me so they are no help.

But thanks a lot for trying! :D

I'm saving up for a new radiator and Fan Switch now so I'm stuck... :(

sounding sweet KP, engine sounds very well.

it is a lot of cah but it will be worth it in the long run.

i dont count how much i spend on the rolla anymore (it scares me) but the last rough tot up i did with various engine builds and changing certain mods puts it at about £28-30,000 :help::eek:

you have done some good work so far keep it up.

BTW is the price on the bodywork with you helping?

if you can try and help with prep work, masking etc. it can save a fair amount

Thanks a lot mate, it's great to hear that once in a while! :yes:

I just found that Toyota want £360 for a new radiator and a Fan Switch which is just taking the :censor:

The garage quoted me £100 for the radiator and I know the Switch is £70 ( :eek: ) so I'll go with that seeing as it is still a genuine part! :rolleyes:

hehe yeh I can understand that dude! You have done so much! :P

No, the price was without my help, but I am currently stripping down the bumpers and wings that I have to get them ready for paint. :D I'll be doing the things that I can, it's direct gloss so shouldn't be too much hassle to prep them, except for the bumpers which need a plastic primer..... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good day working towards getting the GTi finished, I thought I'd try my hand at bodywork again and it went really quite well! :yes:

I smoothed out a dink on the curve of one of my new doors, and it went really very well. I also decided to try my hand at finishing off the grill that I started making when I first bought the car.

The grill is now in primer and is drying off, I have tried my best and I think it is adequate. It's not amazing by any standard but it is worth putting on a car I reckon.

Here are some pictures:

Got the O/S door on the workbench and began filling;

DSC01281.jpg

Gave it 3 layers of filler-paste;

DSC01284.jpg

Finished filling and smoothing the door off;

DSC01285.jpg

I decided that it was time to revive and old mini-project and to properly finish it today, which was the creation of a new grill without the centre bar and badges;

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01286.jpg

I had to extend the inner corner edges so that it looked a bit neater, but I only had filler-paste to do this with which was tough but very doable;

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

While the paste for the extensions dried I offered up and began cutting the black mesh for the grill;

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

Put the Grill in Primer;

DSC01297.jpg

Then six coats of Silver/Gun-Metal Paint;

DSC01299.jpg

And lacquered it;

DSC01300.jpg

I am now waiting for the last thick coat of lacquer to dry, and then I will fit up the mesh, I'll post it up later tonight.

This grill isn't needed for me, it was actually just so I could sell it on to someone. It's not perfect but you will struggle to find any obvious flaws in it. The price is negotiable so PM me or send me an e-mail if you are interested. parris-jones@hotmail.co.uk

This has really gotten me back into doing body-work and has made me even more excited for JapShow tomorrow. :D

Thanks for looking,

KPJ

The lacquer has dried and is hardening, and the mesh is now fitted and trimmed;

DSC01302.jpg

Comments are welcome.

KPJ

Good work KP, taken ure time and with good results!

Must of been a really hot day to get it prepped, primered, painted and lacquered all at once, did u bake it?

Funny to see the door cos i have a black Gti drivers door with the bumpstrip removed in my room, had to have

a double take when i saw that pic! :lol:

nice work KP looks like some good work there.

i had my grill the same but had issues with cracking so gave it up. yours looks good though.

i might ask you for some help when i get round to the body work on my rolla

Cheers,

haha Gordy, yeh it was a very hot day. Annoyingly, there were a few scratches left in the plastic of the grill but they aren't at all noticeable unless you look very closely. :)

Lee, thanks mate - I'd be happy to help with the body-work at some point. Give me a call or whatever to arrange a date and I'll bring me filler paste. :P

Today I managed to pull out the crease in my O/S door which I was told would be a very very tough job, but it went really well I thought. Especially seeing as the crease was on the end of the door behind the handle.

I just used a clamp to pry it back and then filled the remaining dips/gaps that it left behind. I started with 60 grit, moved to 280 and filled it again, going back to 60, then to 280, 400, 800 and finally 1500.

Somehow I found it quite enjoyable, finally managing to make some visible progress on the GTi for the first time in ages.

I'l get a few snaps tomorrow, I was too busy working flat out on the Prelude Track-Build I am working on.

Here are some pictures of the creased door. It's right by the edge behind the handle where the previous owner had obviously hit it on a wall or something to bend it in. I had to pull it out using a clamp and then smooth it off eventually getting to 1500 grit paper again to make sure it blended in nicely.

When the sun was out I looked along the door so it would show up any imperfections and I can happily say that there were none.

It's great working in this weather because the paste dries so quickly.

IMG_1387.jpg

There should be some more work to do soon, I still need to finish grinding the rust off the GL bonnet and then smooth that off too.

KP

I'm officially in a rut with this project. So no changes there then.

To sum things up I need to pay off £110 to someone, then I need to spend £75 on a rad and then £70 on a radiator fan switch. :angry: Not cool....

If anyone has a spare fan-switch then it'd much appreciated if they could make themselves known! :yes:

Here is what I am looking for:

IMG_1036.jpg

The fan switch is the little white connector that sits on the pipe at the bottom centre of the photo.

Thanks,

KP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links