Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

or i might be getting confused with my skyline........................... I think iam going to shut up now lol :lol:

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh I think that you are confused lol, I have removed the two nuts and the bolt when I removed the drive shafts, so that's no biggy. Ok so it shouldn't be too bad, just a straight unbolt job. :D

Thanks mate. Should get to it tomorrow and maybe on my birthday. :yes:

Managed to get some more snaps of the rust in good light... and it's not good. :lol: Should be getting all of this sorted out later this year:

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

NSRearCornerRustBack.jpg

NSRearCornerRust.jpg

NSTurretRust.jpg

Got my radiator delivered today, great quality for £75 including delivery. Plus it is a sweet deep gloss black which will suite the engine bay to the ground! :yahoo:

I'm storing this one in my room to avoid damage. :D

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Should get to fit it soon and get the engine working properly.

Got my radiator delivered today, great quality for £75 including delivery. Plus it is a sweet deep gloss black which will suite the engine bay to the ground! :yahoo:

I'm storing this one in my room to avoid damage. :D

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Should get to fit it soon and get the engine working properly.

you should have got a Aluminium one, look good still :thumbsup:

I don't have the cash for that mate. :no:

But I may do it when I build the next engine, but that is years off. :)

I don't have the cash for that mate. :no:

But I may do it when I build the next engine, but that is years off. :)

so you going to leave this engine in for the time being ?

No not at all, this engine I will get working well by the end of summer, but I will not be putting any money into it other than to keep it running. I will also strip down the Blue Top this summer however I wont be getting a parts flow for a while. So the money is still going to the GTi until it is finished. ;) The Blue Top takes a back seat in the way of buying parts but I will strip it down, if you know what I mean. :)

I'm off to the garage tomorrow to fit the Fan-Switch, Radiator and try to get it running again although I am not too comfortable running the engine with a blocked heater matrix. I cannot afford to burst that too.

Looks like I may be in business soon with the White Top providing all this goes to plan.

best of luck, heater matrix explosions are messy.

Things were going really well today, the radiator was fitted up and working within 15 minutes after having a nice chat with Lee (congrats on your news mate! ;) ) until I had another fiddle with the idle adjusting screw and my water pump failed. I saw water pouring out of the bottom of the timing cover onto the floor and before I knew it most of the system was on the floor. :censor:

I am getting sick of this, but luckily I can nab the pump off the Blue Top if this one is properly knackered and its not just the gasket. I am just dreading the faff involved and now the timing belt is wet I will have to replace that too.... :crybaby:

Here are some snaps though, and a video, its not great but that's all you're gonna get! :P

Draining;

IMG_1229.jpg

Out with the Old;

IMG_1232.jpg

Old vs New;

IMG_1233.jpg

Fan Fitted Up;

IMG_1234.jpg

Fitted;

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

And this is what a GTi looks like after the Water-Pump packs up :censor: ;

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Here is the video, not great but that's all I could do today, I am busy elsewhere:

• 3 weeks later...

Due to my good exam results my dad has agreed to purchase the Gmax Suspension kit £355 for me. Should be a good step to getting her on the road again!

I have made another list of things I need to do to get her moving:

1. CV Snap-Rings

2. Water Pump Gasket and O-Rings

3. Clutch Slave Cylinder

4. PAS Fluid

5. Clutch/Brake Fluid

6. Front Brake Pads

I am sure there is something else to go on that list but I'll be damned if I can remember what! :lol:

Still cba to do anything on her right now, sick of it breaking every time I spend another £100 and then mess with the IAS....

KP

excellent news, that list is relatively short and managable

• 2 weeks later...

Just expensive though! :lol:

I'll get the suspension all fitted up this winter with the Bushes if I can. I'll have to leave the engine for a bit....

Really should get my ass in gear but.... I really can't be bothered to break something else worth £100.

I have a bit of a dilemma and your input would be much appreciated!

Recently I have had a massive spout of CBA with the Corolla, mainly because for every hour I spend working on her, I need to spend another £100 on parts. I'm getting pretty sick of this however I may be nearer the end of the tunnel when it comes to the unreliable 4A-GE, the only unreliable in the universe....

Basically, I can spend £150 now on getting the last dull bit like snap rings, fluids, gaskets etc and get the engine working without destroying itself. OR I can wait until xmas and get that suspension kit for £350.

The sensible one is spend the £150 and wait for the suspension, you don't need it right now. But then again I really want something decent lol.

I can't spend £350 now, but I do have £150 now.

What do you think is best?

I have a bit of a dilemma and your input would be much appreciated!

Recently I have had a massive spout of CBA with the Corolla, mainly because for every hour I spend working on her, I need to spend another £100 on parts. I'm getting pretty sick of this however I may be nearer the end of the tunnel when it comes to the unreliable 4A-GE, the only unreliable in the universe....

Basically, I can spend £150 now on getting the last dull bit like snap rings, fluids, gaskets etc and get the engine working without destroying itself. OR I can wait until xmas and get that suspension kit for £350.

The sensible one is spend the £150 and wait for the suspension, you don't need it right now. But then again I really want something decent lol.

I can't spend £350 now, but I do have £150 now.

What do you think is best?

there's no point getting suspension if the car don't work :P

Yep. I'm decided.

I'll spend the cash on getting it to work.... again. :lol:

Slave Cylinder - £35

Water Pump Gaskets and CV Snap Rings - £17

Front Pads - £46

Now to get fluids...

yep, i agree, no point in nice suspension of a car that doesn't move.

Right, ordered everything with £50 left over for "insurance" :lol:

Makes me feel sad when I see her now... can't help but think I've fooked things up a bit.... :( Still love it to bits, I just wish it'd work! :lol:

You win or you learn I guess.

Spent a quick hour on the GTi and I have some good news.

I filled the coolant back up, re-jigged the vacuum system and the MAP sensor and fired her back up. The idle was high due to the timing yet steady, so I seemed to pretty well have that pinned! :yahoo:

Also, the Water Pump appears to be ok as well, it didn't leak or anything so my theory is that the bleed valve went when I overfilled it. So fingers crossed, it's all good!

I removed the TA-to-Chassis Link Bush and did so within 15 minutes, just goes to show that when you do it once it's so much easier the next time round. :D

It's in perfect MOT passable condition by the looks of it, so I'll send it off to the TOC member I removed it for and I hope they now pass. :thumbsup:

Had time to refit the Polybush to replace it and I am struggling to line up the bolt holes with the Ashley in the way..... but I can do it with a few more hours of bashing and shouting.

KP

Salve Cylinder and the Black Diamond Predators have been delivered, now I am just waiting on the engine parts to get her running smoothly. :D

Also a small explosion of work has been had on the Prelude, and the H22A motor is mostly disconnected and ready to come out. Should be a fun conversion. :lol:

Hello kp haven't seen you on Corolla club for a while sounds like your making a bit of progress with the gti then I went to the breakers the other day and picked up a bonnet for mine saved me spending the £200 getting the old one respayed was £35 well spent because the new bonnet is in better condition than the old one I also managed to get the exhaust done as well so that's not moving around and knocking. I've also done a headlight and sidelight bulb upgrade Ive changed the headlight bulbs to blue xenons which were about £6 on eBay and blue led sidelight bulbs which were about £3 on eBay

Ross

Hiya mate!

Yeh I haven't been updating my GTi thread over there seeing as there was nowt major to report. Should get her back to me this weekend :D

Glad that you got everything sorted mate, must be a real relief to find a bonnet in such good condition! :P

The lights I have would really suit your GTi mate, there is a link to something like hybridkzn.au in the first couple of pages in this thread. Take a look as it would really set it off. ;)

KP

Hiya mate!

Yeh I haven't been updating my GTi thread over there seeing as there was nowt major to report. Should get her back to me this weekend :D

Glad that you got everything sorted mate, must be a real relief to find a bonnet in such good condition! :P

The lights I have would really suit your GTi mate, there is a link to something like hybridkzn.au in the first couple of pages in this thread. Take a look as it would really set it off. ;)

KP

Yeh will have a look mate cheers I only upgraded the bulbs because I'm going to Suffolk to work and it's about 110m away from home and I will be driving in the dark some times so I thought if I change the bulbs at least I've got decent lights to see where I'm going  ive driven up there a couple of times in the gti and im really impressed with it because i only use £25 in fuel for a 220m round trip  weather that's good compared to other gti's I don't no but compared to my 1.25 fiesta I had thats really good. I'm really glad to find that bonnet and it didn't even have stone chips init so that was a right result it could do with a mop over with some cutting compound or something like that because it's got some fade marks init but I've managed to tcut most of it out  the bloke who i got it from is advitised on eBay as metal recycling limited and he has other gti bit on there to mate il get some pics uploaded of the new bonnet to show you at some point

• 2 weeks later...

Another black Gti in Suffolk!? I will have to keep my eyes peeled! Where about in suffolk are you working?

KP would you mind sending me a few pics of the Ashley exhaust on your car? I am planning to have the whole car throughly examined in the next couple of weeks to see if any extensive work is required, this will also involve getting the grotty exhaust that's currently on the car replaced!

Before I take my baby down to family friends garage I don suppose you are aware of any Gti enthusiasts local to Suffolk who might be willing to take a look over my car for a few £££'s?

Unfortunately work has been put on pause for a month due to a nice pricey insurance renewal on my impreza!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links