Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

haha thanks, the 4A-GE is beautiful at the top end, mines done the thick end of 81k now and it's still sweet. :D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha thanks, the 4A-GE is beautiful at the top end, mines done the thick end of 81k now and it's still sweet. :D

80's Toyota product particularly sports were a showcase of awesome quality engineering.

Now the quality of Toyota is comparable to Ford.............Toyota is now the mass produced Japanese motor vehicle and the quality and reliability I do believe proves this.

Such a shame.

Totally agreed unfortunately :(

Still, there will always be people such as myself and those on the AE92OC who are going to keep these going. This is going to be one brilliant GTi :D

I have her back home now!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo::toast:

I honestly can't get my head around the fact it's my car, it's just so gorgeous up close, I never once thought that she'd look quite this good. A shitter to the untrained eye, but to those who saw her way back in the beginning know what a transformation this really is. The bloke towing her home kept commenting on it! :lol:

I took about 47 pictures today, to see them all visit this link: AE92OC Thread

But here are the best ones so far:

db7e2e99.jpg

a281218f.jpg

71526dea.jpg

baed4044.jpg

7b27457d.jpg

8dd1a48a.jpg

38b24b91.jpg

9c7393e8.jpg

43fb410c.jpg

788f65a2.jpg

ee90d0f1.jpg

769adcaf.jpg

aa17e540.jpg

3ec5b432.jpg

b6c7637d.jpg

9bf28e45.jpg

29eaa947.jpg

Thanks for looking!

KP

almost looks factory fresh (needs more glass)

not my taste, id of smoothed the body more but i have to say it one of the best i have seen of that shape so far well done

Cheers mate, yeh I know, I need to order in the clips for literally everything on the body, and MR T want at least £300 for that. All in good time :thumbsup:

KP

not my taste, id of smoothed the body more but i have to say it one of the best i have seen of that shape so far well done

Thank you mate, it is certainly close to being the best :P :lol:

I'm not too sure what there isn't to like lol, nowt else I can do to smooth it. I had the Tailgate wiper and lock removed, and the side mouldings removed too. The windscreen has no outer seals as they were too chunky for my liking, hence why I'll be fitting a universal seal which wits much better inside the screen area.

I'm totally open to your suggestions though mate if you can see something that could be smoothed off that I haven't :thumbsup:

Anywho, I love it to bits and am so happy to have her back in such good nick! :D

KP

i think you should get some kind of splitter for its nose. wanna see them wheels on it already!

Yeah I have been looking at getting one, there are loads from other cars that fit beautifully. Only thing is they require bodging and I don't want it to have a very low nose lol, I'm having her dropped about 45mm on coilovers at some point.

Supra MKIII Splitters look pretty mint on them though, if I see something at a decent price I'll look into it. Do you reckon it should be body coloured or black? :)

Cheers,

KP

great car KP, sweet motor :thumbsup:

hope you enjoy many miles with it as its a classic hot hatch, black wheels will look awesome with the white paint :D

old is gold aha

Cheers mate, me too - I have a feeling that this will give me many years of enjoyment! :yes:

My styling choices are subtle yet they're going to have a big impact, nothing scene-leading, but definitely something worth looking at :D

Too right lol :)

Well you may be pleased to know that I did get off my ass eventually, and I have all but the Indicators fitted on the Front-End of the GTi! :D :D :D

So here are some pictures:

First offering up the N/S Lamp and Side-Light -

ca2fc337.jpg

3862147c.jpg

29d9a1bb.jpg

I had loads of issues with these lights and wings, they just weren't manufactured to a high enough quality so I had to do some cutting and carving :lol: The gap between the Lamp and Side-light was skewed and way too big, and the Side-Light wasn't pushing far enough back into the Wing.

So I got bored and started fitting up the O/S Lamp and Light-

64c2ad95.jpg

That went really quite well, so I was happy enough to go and try again with the N/S Lights. I had use my screwdriver to widen the hole on the bracket to the top of the Lamp, I also had to do the same with the hole for the Side-Lights which was manufactured so badly that there wasn't any proper hole in there from the start. :shock:

Still, I wouldn't be deterred, I went in and fitted up the S/S Nuts and bolts to the whole set up and eventually I was met with success!!

b82a1176.jpg

4ca9dd74.jpg

Then came the task of fitting the grill -

d4688d79.jpg

c594fe51.jpg

ea47593a.jpg

36e5bdac.jpg

I bloody love them! What do you guys think?

KP

WOW!!!! Ive been missing out alot :drool:

GOOD JOB Mister K.P - DR.Jones :toast:

A+ for grade a grate body painting, will look like one of hem Star Wars destroyers

Will be waching this thread closely :eek:

haha yeh mate it's been a while since you commented! :P :thumbsup:

Thank you, yes their work is truly amazing, they even went to the trouble of under-sealing the whole car, rolling the rear arches and then rubber sealing all four arches! :o Great stuff :yes:

I should be making some good progress soon, I am trying to think about what I will be doing on it tomorrow (weather permitting of course).

Thanks again mate,

KP

Thank you for your comments guys! :thumbsup:

Yeh you can see the horns and catch behind the grill when you kneel down a little, it looks fookin' top! :D :drool:

Today I pretty well rolled out of bed, stroked the Calibre Pro 7's and Toyo's and headed out to tinker a little more with the GTi. Because I am working alone it's taking ages to do little bits and pieces, but to be honest each little clip or rubber bung I fit brings the car one small step closer to completion. And you know what? I have enjoyed every bloody second of it! :D

Ok then, here are some pictures and explanations of what I did:

First thing I did was take a couple pictures of her in direct sun-light!

7593aa95.jpg

e7dd69ce.jpg

I then went around getting my panel gaps sorted, lining up the bumpers and wings together, making sure they had a mm perfect offset from each other

fd707215.jpg

adf2a91d.jpg

After fiddling with the Wings and securing them with some nicer bolts:

28e8b4ba.jpg

I then went and hooked in the Main-Lamps and Side-lights:

c3f51a15.jpg

881b84c0.jpg

4c963144.jpg

They look just great I think, although I will be replacing the bulbs with the Phillips clear/blue bulbs to freshen them up a bit, that nasty halogen colour is just wrong on such a clean car!

Next up was getting down and dirty with the seals around the car, I had a bash at the door seals but there just weren't enough clips, so I moved onto the N/S Rear Window and managed to fit the lower seal and trim, but the rear half of the trim has snapped and needs replacing. I'll just crack on with the other side tomorrow when I get a 5 minute slot. :)

I also fitted up the Rain Drain sits under the screen, look in the previous pictures to see it.

Last but certainly not least, I had a bash at getting the Tailgate set up and I put one of the gas struts in. Let me tell you now that this strut is stupidly strong which made it an epic struggle to get it in! :lol: But I got there alone and it was a welcome addition :D

bb9846ca.jpg

I am in love with this car once again! :D :lol:

KP

Cheers mate, too true, I have really loved being able to take my time for the past couple days. Bright sun and a cool shade to work in, was totally mint! :yes:

Tomorrow Mr. Dawes comes down to weld up the rear turrets and I'll keep at it with the fitting-up. Roll on the MOT :D

KP

Can't wait to see this one finished - will be as fresh as when it came out of the showroom!

Its looking mint! cant believe when I first joined it was a rust bucket and its nearly done! what if you painted the toyota lettering red on the grill?

haha yeh mate same here! :lol:

hhmmm I'll think about it mate, I quite like the silver with the white, especially because my side-repeaters have chrome on them. That said, it may look good with the red horns that sit behind the grill... :g:

You have me thinking now! :lol:

KP

Ha ha was just a thought, it will spice up the grill abit! make it look meaner and it matches your colour scheme!, what you got planned for the interior?

Cheers yeh I reckon you could be right. I'll play around with her once I have her on the road working reliably, I just gotta prioritise at the minute :)

The interior was the first thing to be kitted out actually. I just need to re fit it and clean it up, take a look in the earlier parts of my Thread and you will see the pictures :thumbsup:

This is gonna be a hoot when finished :D

KP

Evening all :)

Gotta say a huge thank you to dawesy for all his work - Welding rear turrets, fitting up the full front brake system, fitting the drive shafts and generally tinkering and fettling things on the car. Legend! :thumbsup:

I fitted up the wheels after work today, and I absolutely love 'em! :D

They are too small over all at the moment because she hasn't been lowered, but once I have the splash-guards in it will lesser the size of the arches and will really set off the whole look. The awesome news is that I may just have enough for some springs to drop her in time for Japfest, but I am actually happy with her as is. You may say they look silly, but I am happy :D

Here are a couple pictures, I will take some tomorrow in the brighter times of the day:

Black Diamonds at the front :drool:

31c59146.jpg

9f7b53c2.jpg

8cd90390.jpg

f841b854.jpg

I know the wheels have gotten lost under there, but they will do for Japfest, I'm hoping that everyone will be focussing on that lovely paint! :P

KP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links