Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

Dont think it will rust after it has been polished correct me if i am wrong. but you could always use high temp lacquer?

My BBS's had polished dishes and i left them outside for about a week, did rain quite heavy. just ran some metal polish and lint free cloth and they looked brand new!

does look good. i hope you have the bonnet open at shows :P ;)

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol, it won't rust. I made sure that it had a good coating and the paint is a 600 degree paint so it'll be fine. The red paint only goes on parts that won't get too hot.

I will definitely be having the hood open at cruises and stuff, rare car with powerful engine will be a hit I hope!

I have started to paint the cam-covers gloss black now because the red that I had before just wasn't vivid enough. It isn't high-temperature but I think tat it ill be fine anyway. I should have pictures in a few days. ;)

looking good, i have to say you'd be better off getting the cambelt , water pump, maybe head gasket if your going to keep the car and it will save you alot in the long run, i cant wait to see this finished, good luck mate. :D

looking good, i have to say you'd be better off getting the cambelt , water pump, maybe head gasket if your going to keep the car and it will save you alot in the long run, i cant wait to see this finished, good luck mate. :D

Thanks for the comments,

I am replacing all the belts and I will be getting a TRD 0.8mm Head-Gasket so to raise the compression ratio. I won't be selling her. Too much time and effort has gone into her already! :P

I can't wait either, should be done next year, lets just hope that I can get the rear Suspension struts plated up nicely by the time I get to the respray... It looks doubtful because it's quite a big job.

I'll be getting loads of pics when the engine starts to go back together! :D

Topman!!! :clap::cheers::chinese:

Thanks mate. :D

I'll be ordering the new rims soon, I'm getting really excited about the progress that will be made during the next 7/8 months!

worth putting on your shopping list is the full superflex bush kit.

if your going that way dont buy the front arm rear bush as i have a spare set from when i fitted the anti-lift kit, also got the front ARB bushes too.

let us know. they do make a big diference to handling.

with the rear setup though its worth leaving the bushes in the rear hub carrier as they are the spherical type, unless theyre worn.

looking good though

Thanks mate,

O.k. thanks mate I'll keep that in mind for when I do go for some suspension bushes. I never thought that they made all that much difference.

How are they to fit? I am just worried about all the faffing. I'm guessing that I will have to take a whole day to fit everything? :)

Cheers

You should have brought my super flex bush kit I had :P sold it for dirt cheap :( makes a BIG difference to handling :yes:

You should have brought my super flex bush kit I had :P sold it for dirt cheap :( makes a BIG difference to handling :yes:

Yeh I realise that now but I didn't have the money at the time and I didn't think that they did all that much to the handling! :( :lol:

But come to think about it, it has the suspension originally designed for a 1.3 commuters car.... :unsure::lol:

How much do you want Dawesy?

And which of these should I buy? SuperFlex

In my ordinary spirit of changing my ideas at the last minute, I've decided to go and spend £1000 on suspension instead of rims because I haven't found any rims that really catch my eye. :yes:

I will be getting some BC Racing coilovers and a full SuperFlex Bush-Kit. It will cost me £1k and I should have them after christmas depending when my dad manages to sell the house. :)

If anyone has had any experience of BC Coilies please tell me what they are like and what the ideal damper settings are with them for slightly harder than fast road use. B)

Thanks for any advice,

KP

Alrite KP, first off im a big fan of ure thread and its often one of the only things i check when i manage to get on here!

My car has been off the road since march :crybaby: when i had to get a fair bit of work done on the exhaust and a bit of welding, i then lost my job and got clamped! so funds were low for a while but now she is due to make an appearance in a months time! :yahoo:

Anyway ive been looking at coilovers too and u can find ksports on eBay under 'toyota ae92 coilovers' in the international sellers section for £600 from america plus £110 for shipping! Take a look and let me know wot u think.

Alrite KP, first off im a big fan of ure thread and its often one of the only things i check when i manage to get on here!

My car has been off the road since march :crybaby: when i had to get a fair bit of work done on the exhaust and a bit of welding, i then lost my job and got clamped! so funds were low for a while but now she is due to make an appearance in a months time! :yahoo:

Anyway ive been looking at coilovers too and u can find ksports on ebay under 'toyota ae92 coilovers' in the international sellers section for £600 from america plus £110 for shipping! Take a look and let me know wot u think.

Thanks a lot mate! :)

Well, they look good to me, but as a member previously commented K-sport don't have the best build quality. I have had no personal experience of this so that isn't my personal opinion but beware. Also, be prepared to wait for a bloody age to get it shipped. It will have to make it through customs and stuff which can prove difficult sometimes. :angry:

Get some pictures of your GTi posted because I love to see them! It's a shame about your job and getting clamped though mate.

I'm going for BC's as you know, so I'll let you know how they are, providing I get mine before you. :yes:

Keep commenting as it's always good to see people take the time to look at your work. :)

O.k. there's a bit of a spanner in the works.

I will still be getting the coilovers and SuperFlex's but I wont be able to get them until after christmas, i.e. january or febuary next year. The main problem with this is that I was going to fit the brakes at the same time, because if I fit them now, then I'll just be taking them off again to fit the coilovers. :(

30% of my service parts have been reserved now as a christmas pressy from my dads gf. NGK's Oil filter and Fuel filter. :D

Looks like I may have to postpone the engine for a few weeks after christmas because I highly doubt that I'll get all of the parts I need to get the car running. :(

Looks like progress will slow down for a while, just need to get new doors so that I can respray them! :)

Alrite KP, I think im gonna join you on going for the BC's!

build qaulity is a big factor and ure right about the extra pain in the ***** from shipping!

Will get sum pics up soon of the car, its been kept at a mates house which is a bit far away to get to without a car so i havent

even seen her for 8 months! :(

Good news is that i should be getting her back sooner than hoped, Fri is the plan but then another 2-3 weeks before

road legal though cos im not sure how often she got started so i whant to do a pretty comprehensive service and get

welding done under neath! Then Mot, tax and such! Trying not to think about the costs though! :shutit:

build qaulity is a big factor and ure right about the extra pain in the ***** from shipping!

Will get sum pics up soon of the car, its been kept at a mates house which is a bit far away to get to without a car so i havent

Good news is that i should be getting her back sooner than hoped, Fri is the plan but then another 2-3 weeks before

road legal though cos im not sure how often she got started so i whant to do a pretty comprehensive service and get

welding done under neath! Then Mot, tax and such! Trying not to think about the costs though! :shutit:

Good choice mate,

What welding you having to do underneath!? I'm having the cut out the rear struts and weld new ones in which is such an *****! :lol:

I hope she isn't in such a bad state. :yes: ;)

hello guys...new to this site and my first posting....had my gti restored last year with new rear inner and outer wheel sections welded in...all bushes replaced with super-flex poly bushes...new sports struts all round with lowered springs...new calipers discs and green steff pads...full respray.....took me a long time to get her back to looking decent...but its worth it in the end

post-49258-1258311406_thumb.jpg

post-49258-1258311424_thumb.jpg

post-49258-1258311441_thumb.jpg

hello guys...new to this site and my first posting....had my gti restored last year with new rear inner and outer wheel sections welded in...all bushes replaced with super-flex poly bushes...new sports struts all round with lowered springs...new calipers discs and green steff pads...full respray.....took me a long time to get her back to looking decent...but its worth it in the end

Nice car mate, I hope that mine turns out to be worth it too! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice mate,

What welding you having to do underneath!? I'm having the cut out the rear struts and weld new ones in which is such an *****! :lol:

I hope she isn't in such a bad state. :yes: ;)

Alrite KP, havent been on the net much as i need a new power supply for my laptop!

The welding i need to get done is underneath the car just before the rear wheel on both sides, other than that the only poblems are cosmetic! I got my car back now and everything is a lot sweeeter than i thought it would be (mechanically that is!). :D

The car got attacked on one side by a thorn bush wih berries on it so its covered in a strange juice an some extra scratches which dont go with the look im aiming for :angry:

ive always had to replace my rear wheel arch and drivers door but now my pretty mint front wheel arches both need replacing with a 1inch hole appearing in one of them!! :o

So the plans are to get the welding done, fit new scorpion exhaust system, lowering springs and temp fixing of rust then saving fo respray, coilovers and 4 new panels when the weather gets a bit better!

Will get pics up as soon as my laptop is back on and maybe start a new thread! :D

Argh, its going to be irritating to sort it all out, but I bet it will be worth it! :D

There is a link in this thread to a website that I bought my panels and arches from, have a look and you should find it. ;)

It's good to hear that it's mechanically sound too, I just want to get all the gaskets and stuff then I'll be ready...

I'll keep a look out for your thread. :yes:

A small piece of good news, but it is good news none the less. :)

I can get my competition clutch fitted for free by my friend who is a mechanic where I did work experience. All I have to do is get my engine to him and on the bench and he'll fit it and the bearing!

Another job that I don't have to worry about, I didn't want to do it because it's spring loaded and if I break it, that's £500 wasted. I want to have the experience behind the job on this one.

I'd give this advice to anyone not experienced with tough clutched like these. :yes:

TBH fitting a clutch isnt that hard. centre the drive plate (can be done by eye really or use of a centering tool. then progressivly tighten the bolts to the specified torque working round the cover. release bearing will just push on no special tools needed.

keep up the good work. going well so far.

I fitted my clutch in myself all i used was a clutch alignment tool pretty simple but if you got someone to do it for you than that all good :D

Oh no...

I was going to re-fit the flywheel so that the clutch can be sorted on tuesday, but then as I was putting the bell-housing cover plate back on, I sheered on of the little bolts that hold it on!

Luckily, I managed to get the thread out so there is not need for tapping, but it's still irritating.

So, here's a word of warning:

Those little bolts that hold the Bell-Housing cover plate on are small (10mm) and are not meant to be really tight. Use a small socket wrench and don't go mental with power.

Now, I don't think that they are vital, so I think I can get away with just the one remaining bolt, because as far as I can see they just hold the plate there until you get the gearbox bolted on.

And another note for Flywheel fitting: You will need a thread locking compound for the Flywheel bolts.

Thread Locking Compound: bearingboys.co.uk