Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

Thanks, I didn't paint it though, it was my mate Adey who also does the spraying for ADEMEISTER. He has done some gorgeous show cars in his time and he is doing this for me and also as a promo car. :D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I now have the engine back in and bolted up. I have started to put everything back into it's place and I should have it sorted and ready for first start in another 5 hours of solid labour. But that will have to wait.

There were a few bumps and scratches on the paint, but nothing that can't be touched up later on. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

The plan has changed slightly as to the order in which things get completed on the car.

This summer I will most likely be paying to have the welding done and dusted, whilst getting the engine hooked back up and running personally. I will struggle to find sufficient funds for the completion of all exterior work such as the wheels. Everything else however will be finished including the respray. I think that wheels will have to wait a while which is just as well because I haven't quite made up my mind as to which wheels I want.

The welding will be paid for as my birthday present (hopefully) and then the windscreen and coilovers will be purchased after I do a lot of begging and keeping my nose planted firmly in the backside of my mum. :D

An additional note, my new headlamps should be here in a few months too! :yahoo:

Wish me luck....

whoo hoo. coming on nicely.

just a though. try trawling the breakers for the 1/4 panels from a 1.3 GL you can get them to cut them off and either replace you entire 1/4 or use for repair patches. the 1.3 GL dosnt seem to rust as bad as the GTi for some reason.

dont we just know. dosnt help when our cheapskate government uses salt on the roads either!!

Its a massive pain in the ***** that Ive never had to deal with before coming from south africa but

most of the work done so far on my car has been in the battle against rust! :angry:

Just think domogti's message is funny next to his profile pic! :lol::lol:

whoo hoo. coming on nicely.

just a though. try trawling the breakers for the 1/4 panels from a 1.3 GL you can get them to cut them off and either replace you entire 1/4 or use for repair patches. the 1.3 GL dosnt seem to rust as bad as the GTi for some reason.

:lol: :lol: yeh thanks mate.

I don't know if you remember, but I used to have a 1.3 GL for spares, but as soon as I scrapped it, you told me about how they don't rust.... <_< :ffs: :lol:

I have to say that the weather here is just terrible for cars, but what shocks me even more is that companies didn't go to greater measure to protect them, but I guess that's how they make money. Twenty years on and they're still making money out of me! :lol2:

P.S. I will soon be making a post regarding a change to my bonnet... ;)

I have just received word that I will be taking delivery of my headlamps during the last week of March/First week of June.

Still awaiting news regarding my bonnet, but am very excited about the headlamps. I have been waiting a year to get this sorted... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am going out soon to get indicator bulbs for the side-repeaters and the front indicators.

Can anyone tell me exactly which bulbs I need please? They need to be orange because the lenses themselves are clear. ;)

Thanks

Just went to the Fast Show at Santa Pod today. It was a very nice introduction to the modding season and I managed to get my hands on some fibreglass exhaust-manifold heat wrap. I got 10 meters for £18, although the 6 cable ties cost £8 which was a bit of a rip to be honest.

Secret mods are slowly getting arranged and completed... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that the headlamps will be delivered in two weeks time which is a bit annoying but was expected. I have booked off two days during the Easter holidays to get the engine started up.

Now that I can see the light at the end of this tunnel I just want to get there even faster! :lol:

Just went to the Fast Show at Santa Pod today. It was a very nice introduction to the modding season and I managed to get my hands on some fibreglass exhaust-manifold heat wrap. I got 10 meters for £18, although the 6 cable ties cost £8 which was a bit of a rip to be honest.

Secret mods are slowly getting arranged and completed... :D

you should have got this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300401162665&rvr_id=&mfe=sidebar

abit cheaper

ps hurry up and get the engine started :Jumpy:

Yesterday was a good day. There were 100 small tasks to be completed and I have done 90 of them.

I got up at the crack of the sparrows fart and loaded up the T-Sport with all the necessary parts:

LVYLoadedUp2.jpg

Got the radiator ready to fit but never got round to it... :lol:

FluffyRadiator.jpg

Things I did:

• All Vacuum Hoses
  • All Electrical Connections (Apart from 2 that I need help with)
  • Fixed a Snapped Connector
  • Fitted Speedo Cable
  • Fitted Gear-Linkages + Brackets
  • Fitted Near Side Engine Mount Cover-Plate
  • Fitted Air-Filter + MAF Sensor
  • Heat-Wrapped Exhaust manifold
  • Re-fitted Exhaust Manifold
  • Fitted PAS hoses
  • Fitted Washer Fluid Tank
  • Fitted Fuse Boxes
  • Clipped on all Wiring Lumes
  • Fitted Windscreen wiper Grill with new shiny screws
  • Fitted Clutch Line
  • Fitted Radiator Fan
  • Hooked up Oil Radiator to Sump and Block
  • Fitted Horns
  • Fitted Bonnet Release Catch + Cable
  • Fitted Accelerator Cable
  • Fitted Other Sensors to I.M.

I have to say that it was incredibly unsatisfying because they were all tiny tasks that required an awful lot of time faffing around.

Now all I have to do is;

• Fit Drive Shafts
  • Finish Heat-Wrapping
  • Fit OBD Port and Sensors to bulk-head
  • Fit Down=Pipe
  • Fill the Gearbox with oil
  • Fill Engine with oil
  • Fill Coolant System
  • Refill Brake and Clutch Systems

I do have a couple of small problems however. There is a small sub-loom that runs over the intake manifold and down towards the Alternator. Off this loom there is a ring connector that gets bolted onto the top of the Alternator, a large round-plug that plugs into the back of the Alternator, Earth connector to the block and another blue connector that doesn't seem to go anywhere. There are no other connections around or under the manifold or anywhere else for that matter. Where does it go? Is it just a dummy?

I have a similar problem nearby. On the same loom as the injectors, there is a small black connector that again, doesn't seem to go anywhere. Is this another dummy?

Here is how she looked when I was finished:

FluffyGettingRebuilt3.jpg

Lots of good work thumbsup.gif,

but isn't it a bit open plan biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Sorry, what do you mean? :lol:

As another note, the headlamps should be delivered tomorrow, typically when I am not in to receive the delivery... I may have to shift revision operations to receive the delivery. hhhmm a day waiting in, getting up at 8 and then not getting the delivery until 6. Awesome.

Alrite Kp, Im busy taking the head off my engine to get it ported-polished and replace the head-gasket

so you are doing the only bit im not looking forward too and thats getting all the little connections on in the right place! :wacko:

Trying to remember where the wires go, theres a connection under the inlet manifold which you can see between the two

middle pipes, theres a connection ontop of the water pump, also theres one on the bottom of the coil pack that you will

be mounting under the strut brace, also look on the left hand side of the inlet manifold possibly on the back of the housing I seem to remember disconnecting something there!

Hope that helps, the car is looking great so far and cant wait to see it put back together! :thumbsup:

Alrite Kp, Im busy taking the head off my engine to get it ported-polished and replace the head-gasket

so you are doing the only bit im not looking forward too and thats getting all the little connections on in the right place! :wacko:

Trying to remember where the wires go, theres a connection under the inlet manifold which you can see between the two

middle pipes, theres a connection ontop of the water pump, also theres one on the bottom of the coil pack that you will

be mounting under the strut brace, also look on the left hand side of the inlet manifold possibly on the back of the housing I seem to remember disconnecting something there!

Hope that helps, the car is looking great so far and cant wait to see it put back together! :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Yeh the black connector will go onto the HT pack although that still leaves the little blue connector. There is nothing on my water pump though. :huh:

Thanks a lot mate. I think I have a spare camshaft oil seal if you need one, although you will still have to buy the other because I only ordered one extra. :)

If you need any other help with the head gasket then look for my post about it earlier in the thread. ;) You sound like you know your stuff anyways. :D

Good luck!

can you post a piccy?

been awhile since ive seen a 4A in a rolla but it might occur to me where it goes.

i know there is a blue connector to the TVIS system VSV but not 100% if this is the one you have

can you post a piccy?

been awhile since ive seen a 4A in a rolla but it might occur to me where it goes.

i know there is a blue connector to the TVIS system VSV but not 100% if this is the one you have

I have pictures of the rear of the block:

Enginerebuild2010015.jpg

Enginerebuild2010016.jpg

Enginerebuild2010014.jpg

Enginerebuild2010013.jpg

The one on the back of the alternator is plugged in and so is the one that bridges to the pump, and the one that goes on top of the alternator. The blue one doesn't seem to go on the TVIS valve. There is a brown clip that goes on the side of the manifold above the alternator though. But thats also plugged in. :yes:

EDIT-: I SEE IT, I SEE IT! :yahoo::lol:

Sorted. :D But damn you for making me look stupid again Lee. :angry: :P

Take more photos of what!? I couldnt have taken photos of more engine parts. There's no more engine to take apart! :P

I don't waste time with photos, its time that can be spent starting her up. ;)

I will post a video of start up which will hopefully be on tuesday... :naughty:

forget the pic i want to see a video of it running :rolleyes: