Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread

KPARRIS-JONES

Ohh so nice!!

It came out better then I had thought..

If in time you start to dislike those black rims, you could

paint the innerwheelspace white like the car and

keep the black surface as it is, ive seen it couple of times

and it brings the car alive, like its coming up from the ground :thumbsup:

Like the one in left

3031_01.jpg

Just a point out..

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• dawesy

• PaulinhoT

• AE_92

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn that car looks angry! It's all excellent mate well done :)

2 things though, I'm not sure on those after Market indicators... Maybe smoke the originals?

Also is it just me or does the bonnet not quite shut flush? Just the gap around the headlights looks abit skew..?

All looks mint though, a credit to you... And your bank manager!

Haha thank you guys! :D

Sonur - Thanks mate, I am very happy with them and will definitely look into your idea if I want to change it a little! :yes:

Benm - Again, thank you very much for your comment! Yeh she looks pretty mean which is what I wanted :drool: Yes you are right, the bonnet is a skew - she has only just come out of the garage since her full respray and a lot of the old clips broke and had to be thrown upon the strip down. Because of this, the Bonnet has no slam-panel bung on the Off-Side which makes it sag too far left. I will be ordering in a new bung from Toyota soon :) She has a long way to go though, I have to fit up the rear window trims, the spoiler needs fitting properly (clips broke) the side-skirts need fitting (clips :rolleyes: ) and so do the rear mud-flaps. Everything else fits pretty beautifully :D :lol:

Cheers,

KP

Make sure you wear your sunglasses as this is some blinding paint-work! :D B)

d393f514.jpg

3c58b43d.jpg

a73b664c.jpg

692145c6.jpg

1ecb2a4b.jpg

e04da40c.jpg

407899e6.jpg

512a605d.jpg

d7785893.jpg

5cf0cb70.jpg

191dc261.jpg

KP

Looks lovely!

Don't envy you putting it all back together again - would be interesting to hear how many hours/days/months it takes :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. It has taken hundreds of hours to get here, but since the respray she has taken about 20 hours of my time. Now the interior is going back in! :D

I've now finally got the Clutch back in service! :D :lol:

Took about 20 minutes to clear the air out with a mate of mine, he did the pedal work and I got the fluid in my face. :lol:

Still, one step closer and all that.

Pretty soon I'll have all my parts from Toyota and other GTi's that people are breaking and she'll be ready for Japfest! I reckon we are looking at 2-3 weeks until she is in an MOT passable state, but we shall have to see... :eek:

KP

Keep up the good work mate - you've finally convinced me that white GTI's are cool with your motor! :thumbsup:

haha cheers mate! :D

I'm glad I could make you see sense! :P ;)

They're gorgeous cars IMO, not long to go now, just ordered my parts up and I'm ready to fit them as soon as they arrive!

KP

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken advantage of this truly stunning weather today, and had a long afternoon tanking away at all the small things that had to be done on the GTi. The real motivation to do this came from my delivery of all the Side-Skirt Bolts and Clips! :D

I have no real progress to report however, because it has been hours of painstaking tedium and irritation of doing all the small crappy and fiddly things around the interior.

First off, I went and levelled my Bonnet with the new Slam-Panel Stopper - which was a whole £3.50 I might add! :eek: Check mai levelz!!!

868d603c.jpg

51e27873.jpg

I then went around and popped in all the Grommets for the Side-Skirts:

1f9e6ea6.jpg

I also took the time to painfully fit my other Gas-Strut, and yet I know the bolts are miss-matched, but they will do until I get my own in anodized black ;)

85961a2d.jpg

Next up was fitting the bits of the Interior that I could with the parts I had, which let me tell you really isn't enough, you wouldn't believe how few clips there are holding it all in there... :eek::lol:

Boot Scuff-Plate and Liners (O/S Side of the Liner isn't secured yet):

857bc2fd.jpg

THE DAMAGE!

857bc2fd.jpg

bab777dd.jpg

Ignoring the huge splits, I went to fit the rest of the N/S Interior:

4c88a37c.jpg

1508afc1.jpg

17a4b884.jpg

fae3d719.jpg

When I first removed the Interior, I had the intention of keeping it stripped to have it as a Track-Car, and so the insert that went into the quarter trim was snapped off.... bad decision on my part because now I am going to have to put something else the myself, but I have a few ideas :D (Check the last picture to see what I'm on about)

After that I wanted a change of scene so I tried to secure the O/S Skirt, but it is having issues with clipping in at the rear - Because my arches have been rolled, there is nowhere to secure the rear of the skirt properly, it doesn't want to go into the clips and so I will have to see if bolting it underneath with help at all. Either way, both sides will need some work and persuading.

New Clips:

7205aff4.jpg

b0ee4f41.jpg

d04eb33c.jpg

a16389e2.jpg

Here's what I'm on about:

f589376a.jpg

Frustrated with partial success, I thought I'd carry on with the Interior. I fitted the underside of the dash, a little bit to the left of the dash, bolted the front seats properly and just tinkered with everything really.

It's all a bit shoddy in the way of clips and screws... all mix and match but it looks ok and is secure enough :lol: I guess you win or you learn. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

KP

More updates! :D

Had my Windscreen Seal delivered today and it is a very very tight fit, but I think I can make it work. :thumbsup:

I also decided to fit up the rear Number-Plate Lights, but the garage didn't paint them up so I decided to paint them the same Satin Black as my wheels and front grill.

3d2e83b0.jpg

8e003bce.jpg

I fitted them up with some chrome screws to make myself feel better about everything else lol.

I then decided to crack on with the rest of the Interior:

0acd1700.jpg

2220d4e0.jpg

I had found loads of fast clips from old bits from mine and other cars so I could fit it all up quite nicely! :D

Another small task with a big result was fitting the O/S Window Trims, which was a PITA with only a few cobbled clips and I had to cut the upper Seal a little to fit, it isn't pretty but will do for now.

Not much, but I really need an extra pair of hands with a lot of this stuff now, not only to speed it up but also just generally be helpful lol.

But it is really starting to neaten up in the back there so I am happy, this weekend I will see what I can do about getting her moving under her own power. :D

KP

Looking good KP :thumbsup:

Was a bit worried though that you had resprayed the car pink at one point :eek:

LMAO! I'm guessing that was the picture of fitting up the Skirts? :P :lol:

Thanks mate, she's gonna be a looker I think :D

KP

LMAO! I'm guessing that was the picture of fitting up the Skirts? :P :lol:

Yup :yahoo:

She is already a looker mate, I nearly bought one of these years ago in white but ended up with a Festa 1.8RS, must admit more than a few years on and the rolla GTI is still tugging at my heart, I tell you (I know you know) you really do have something special there mate, well done :thumbsup:

haha thanks a lot :D :thumbsup:

They seem to be a pretty infectious car among those who have spent any time with them. I can't wait to drive it, it's been too long waiting, and way too expensive :lol:

I'll keep everyone updated, tomorrow should bring some more news and interesting things :D

KP

It's looking really smart now - how long do you think until it will be MOT-worthy?

I trust the last date for completion is Japfest? I'm seriously thinking about coming along, and would like to see what a really pucker GTi looks like ;->

looks amazing pal.. so shiny lol

haha thank you mate, yeh it was really hurting my eyes today when staring at it in direct sun, but it is too beautiful :lol:

It's looking really smart now - how long do you think until it will be MOT-worthy?

I trust the last date for completion is Japfest? I'm seriously thinking about coming along, and would like to see what a really pucker GTi looks like ;->

Thanks mate :) I am hoping that she is in the MOT station in two weeks time, so we can give her shake-down runs to get her worthy for making the trek up to Japfest :thumbsup:

I'm leading the AE92OC there for our (and my GTi's) first show so I would hope she is done by then!! :lol: You really should come a long dude, there will be about 5 other GTi's there, one with a GXE Body-Kit conversion, one with a full respray in white, two other pristine black GTi's and a GL Executive Saloon with a crazy vinyl wrap.

You really won't regret it ;)

Now for business - I have an interior! :lol:

Went out after a hefty brunch with my dad to get the seats in, which was a pretty meaty task in itself seeing as all of the brackets were bent or needed bending to get them to fit once again.. :lol: However we cam out on top in the end and she is almost finished in there! :thumbsup:

603ee90c.jpg

22096619.jpg

1a7bbf3a.jpg

I fitted the TRD and MOMO Pads too:

b4a5509b.jpg

bbe7f87e.jpg

It's absolutely filthy in there, so I'm not saying it's finished - plus I am waiting for a couple more Trim-Pieces - but she is almost there.

Not happy with MOMO and their quality though...

181e17d9.jpg

Still, I went and fitted up my scuff-guards with my chrome screws again :D

8b06dc62.jpg

And they are going to be painted satin black, I've now decided on that as the contrasting colour with red as an accent should I want to add some colour.

I also have the parcel shelf fitted, so we are pretty well there seeing as everything is now stuffed in the boot, leaving it all nice and clear in the actual cabin making it finally look and work as a real car :lol: Well chuffed.

We also went and fitted the Drive-Shafts Nuts up and torqued them down to a hefty 186 Nm :D :shock:

It was another day of tinkering and male banter, and we are both extremely happy with the way the day went and the results.

Tomorrow I will solder up the wiring for the Side-Repeaters and crimp them in, so hopefully with will be one step close to the MOT and I will also try and nick the remaining clips from the Tailgate's cutting up the black one but keeping dawesy's in tact. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

KP

Oh dear.. I need to drop out the Gearbox with dawesy this Thursday, clutch just isn't working. I am sure I put the Drive-Plate in the wrong way round. :unsure:

KP

Thats a bugger mate, hope its easy enough to do :thumbsup:

Yeh tell me about it. Well when I was given the news I panicked, decided the world was over and then discussed torching the car and claiming insurance. Having realised I didn't have a policy I calmed down and realised it wouldn't be too bad :lol:

I'm told that with dawesy's help we can have it done within a matter of hours. A pain but very doable. I shall not be beaten...

KP

There are masses to report for today. As always however, I need to start with a huge thank you to Mr. Dawes, who has just rocketed this that much closer to the finish line! :thumbsup:

First off, we arrived with the thought of removing the Gearbox, but before we started dawesy went and adjusted the Clutch Pedal by undoing the nut for the push-rod. He slid the rod a long a little and tightened it back up and we set back to putting everything back necessary to get her moving...

After a little swearing and fiddling around she was ready, and I can now report back and say: SHE FREAKIN' MOVES!!! :lol: :excited:

We whacked everything back and then got to work with the timing which was way out as we thought. And of course we remembered to bring the Timing-Light.... :banghead: But as she was running, the Water-Pump went caput once again, pissing all the coolant all over the floor. Not good. But at least we didn't have to drop the box!

The stroke of luck came when I realised I had ordered a full Gasket Set for the Water-Pump a while back, and that I had a much newer spare pump from the Blue-Top - this was getting replaced anyway. Having got back, dawey spent the next hours under the car swapping the pump out. Legend :thumbsup:

Feeling rather useless I went and fitted the rear window Trim, one step closer to the car being water-tight. :D That was a little bit of a dag as the Trim was way past its prime but it went in properly in the end. I also went and got the Gearbox Oil filled up, an interesting task when the Plug is tighter than a cats arse.

Looking a bit grim:

404f7212.jpg

Still, he cracked on with that and I just walked around looking stupid, but it was for the best.

It turns out that the leak was due to the Water-Pump being held on by only 1 bolt. :shock: Now I can't honestly believe that somone could be such a blundering idiot as to do something like this. I won't name names, but I will give you his initials.... KP :oops:

So, new pump in place with all new gaskets and O-Rings - and all of the bolts... we started her up to find some interesting bubbling from the spark-plug area. Lee popped off the cover and there was oil/water nicely sizzling up around the place. Nice. By the looks of things, it is a core plug for the Head which needs removing and reasealing, something that no one has ever had to do before with this... :lol: Trust me eh?

Having topper her up with water, Lee cracked on with the timing to find she'd run nicely with a slight misfire - yet to find the proper cause - and then die out. Despite this our own guru managed to get her near enough there with the timing, dim light and dirty timing marks were the downfall.

Before packing and leaving though, he took her for a little drive with me as the passenger... OMG we only drove round the block but my god it was awesome to have her going once more!! :D :thumbsup:

That's about it for today, I'm still going to crack on with it though, a lot to get through but nowhere near as much thanks to dawesy! :thumbsup:

KP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links