Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Worth Waiting For The New Rav-4 ?

kc104

I would like to start by saying, thank you for replying to my earlier posts so quickly, I am glad that I have found a friendly bunch of guys and girls on this forum.

Ok down to business. We are in he process of buying a new Rav 4. The 2000 scrapped thing has just come in, but in relation to the deal we got we are only 250 pounds worse off - Here is the deal

17400 for new rav4 xt'r auto

750 for my old car

While through the scheme it would be 1000 for my car from the government, the other 1000 is from the dealer and they may say they have already discounted 3,000 from the list price. (20,700)

Question is, should we wait for the new model that comes out in the summer (is that right) Will they pump up the list price to maybe 22000 then give 1000 off so it becomes the same !

In the current climate i can not imagine to many people taking out this scrap page scheme and the new car being a Rav -4.

If we could get the new one for 20700, they give us 1000 off (forced to) then an addition 1000 off for the deal that would mean 3000 off in total (1000 from governemt) meaning price would be 17,700 so call it 18,000.

compared to 16650 (17400 - 750) meaning an extra 1300 - 1500.

Which Probably would be worth it. What are your thoughts on these matters

I'm going to throw in another suggestion.

Why not find a dealer with an ex-demo that suits your spec? I know my local garage have 2 current RAVs on demo which are going for very good money with only 6k on the clock. You will save yourself a whole load of cash for a low mileage car.

As for the facelift, from what i have seen it will be a subtle facelift, i think it will have slightly different wheel arches, slightly different light surround design, maybe different detail on the bonnet lines and grill and possibly have wing mirror indicators. It will also come with the new 150bhp 2.2 diesel engine (not sure about the petrol). Minor changes i think.

It might be another 2 months before they are available and less room for a discount.

Have a look for the new RAV thread on here, it might shead more on what might be different.

I would like to start by saying, thank you for replying to my earlier posts so quickly, I am glad that I have found a friendly bunch of guys and girls on this forum.

Ok down to business. We are in he process of buying a new Rav 4. The 2000 scrapped thing has just come in, but in relation to the deal we got we are only 250 pounds worse off - Here is the deal

17400 for new rav4 xt'r auto

750 for my old car

While through the scheme it would be 1000 for my car from the government, the other 1000 is from the dealer and they may say they have already discounted 3,000 from the list price. (20,700)

Question is, should we wait for the new model that comes out in the summer (is that right) Will they pump up the list price to maybe 22000 then give 1000 off so it becomes the same !

In the current climate i can not imagine to many people taking out this scrap page scheme and the new car being a Rav -4.

If we could get the new one for 20700, they give us 1000 off (forced to) then an addition 1000 off for the deal that would mean 3000 off in total (1000 from governemt) meaning price would be 17,700 so call it 18,000.

compared to 16650 (17400 - 750) meaning an extra 1300 - 1500.

Which Probably would be worth it. What are your thoughts on these matters

No idea if the facelift RAV will actually materialise in UK this year or what the price will be but, if you get a dealer to quote a price without telling them you intend to scrap your old car, and then subsequently tell them you have decided to take advantage of the scheme after all, I think they would have to deduct the extra allowance from their original quote.

Another thought - you were enquiring about side steps in another thread. The steps for the facelift RAV are of a different style to the current ones - more like BMW X series with rubber studs rather than strips and a more snug fit to the sill. Facelift_side_steps.pdf

Have a look for the new RAV thread on here, it might shead more on what might be different.

I am not sure where to find that thread. Would you be so kind as to supply a hyperlink to it!

Remember that it is Auto I am buying so the new auto diesel, that might be worth it !

From what they are saying in the motoring press, it will be better to take the £2000 scrapage fee now before dealers get wise to it and load the prices by the £2000 amount....

I would look for a newish dealer demo model.. As these have the best kit tally and offer better price/discount...

I am not sure where to find that thread. Would you be so kind as to supply a hyperlink to it!

Remember that it is Auto I am buying so the new auto diesel, that might be worth it !

This is a French site but has some pictures that give you an idea of the styling differences:

LINK

Even if you can't read French, a lot of the technical stuff is reasonably clear too.

If it's auto diesel you may have to wait because in the recently facelifted verso the auto diesel is coming "later".

The scrappage amount is actually £1000, although the government make it APPEAR they are giving £2000, the extra £1000 is going to come from the dealer/manufacturer anyway, so you couldnt add it to the list price to knock off at the bottom, you wouldnt be able to inflate your prices by 2K, nobody would buy anything that way

Kingo :thumbsup:

No idea if the facelift RAV will actually materialise in UK this year or what the price will be but, if you get a dealer to quote a price without telling them you intend to scrap your old car, and then subsequently tell them you have decided to take advantage of the scheme after all, I think they would have to deduct the extra allowance from their original quote.

You cant sign up for one price and then expect the same deal by taking the scrappage option, you would be in breach of contract and could end up losing your deposit for such. As mentioned above, the government are not giving 2K as a grant, only 1K

You cant sign up for one price and then expect the same deal by taking the scrappage option, you would be in breach of contract and could end up losing your deposit for such. As mentioned above, the government are not giving 2K as a grant, only 1K

So dealers will be loading the price to take account of scrappage then...................................?

So dealers will be loading the price to take account of scrappage then...................................?

You cant make a new car 2K dearer, how could you do that, you wouldnt sell any new cars if that was the case

You cant make a new car 2K dearer, how could you do that, you wouldnt sell any new cars if that was the case

Quite true but there must be a bottom line price without the scrappage deal and another, less 2K with the deal. Surely dealers will simply raise the bottom line price?

Quite true but there must be a bottom line price without the scrappage deal and another, less 2K with the deal. Surely dealers will simply raise the bottom line price?

Well the scheme hasnt even been launched yet so lets just see how it pans out, typical Government though, tell you its one thing and its actually something else (1K not 2K) or at least their contribution is

The number of cars in the UK vehicle parc over 10 years old to the end of 2008 is 9,528,582 and the number of light commercial vehicles is 993,731, according to figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) so the numbers are considerable, it's just how many of those will move from a ten year old vehicle to a brand new one?

You can REGISTER YOUR INTEREST in the scheme by leaving your details via our website, we will then contact you when the scheme is launched

The way I understand it you can approach any dealer with any existing deal and it will remain. If you have a car to "scrap" that will come off the bottom line and is a seperate issue.

For me the question is do you buy a £250 car from the local rag and then go and get an additional £1750 discount after costs? Will there be anything to say you can't do it as it still mops up demics?

You need to have owned the car for at least 1 year i believe. The scheme comes in middle of May I think, and yes the government screwed us because they are forcing the dealer to chip in 1000 so i am sure they will begin to play with their prices.

Anyone got an idea on what the list price for the new rav-4's is going to be ! Im in conflict over to wait for the new model of get the older one. They are

reviewing my deal and may offer an extra 1000 off bringing the price to

15,750, which i don't think can be beaten on a car that's list price of 20,700, but then what do i know.

Also - tell me if this is true guys,

The salesman ( who is one of those pushy types) is telling me they have to buy the rav 4 from Toyota before the end of Apr. (meaning they are a franchise right!)

So of course is using this to try and force us to buy the car now. Could this be true or is it yet another lie.

I don't think it can come from the dealer because in many cases there isn't £1000 in it for them. I'm sure it must come from the manufacturer and the SMMT who have the industry to maintain/recover.

Unless there is some real benefit in the scheme it will go nowhere. If there was any doubt I would go and negotiate a deal based on no scrapper then pull it out of the hat as a last minute decision but I really don't think it is the case.

I don't think it can come from the dealer because in many cases there isn't £1000 in it for them. I'm sure it must come from the manufacturer and the SMMT who have the industry to maintain/recover.

Unless there is some real benefit in the scheme it will go nowhere. If there was any doubt I would go and negotiate a deal based on no scrapper then pull it out of the hat as a last minute decision but I really don't think it is the case.

Well the fine detail of the scheme is not on the table yet, BUT you will have to have owned the car for at least 12 months and it must be taxed and MOT'd. The other 1K can only come from either the motor trade (dealer) or the manufacturer, yet another Government smoke screen?

EDIT: KC104, sounds like your dealer may be buying an EX Toyota management car, they only have so many days to secure a purchase and is sold on to the next person if they dont buy it. No prices on facelift model yet, BUT if any other new model is anything to go by, you will get a far better deal on the OLD model. Like anything else in life, the new version always commands a higher price, its called supply and demand and in this climate, you can be sure Toyota (or anybody else for that matter) will not be over producing these cars

Well the fine detail of the scheme is not on the table yet, BUT you will have to have owned the car for at least 12 months and it must be taxed and MOT'd. The other 1K can only come from either the motor trade (dealer) or the manufacturer, yet another Government smoke screen?

And it all depends on individuals being in a position to lay out a deposit and/or being able to gain/support finance in the first place.

Why getting a new car and putting yourself into more debt because the govt will give you £1000 for your old car... which is running, working, no problems... ;) ;) ;)

Prices for cars are too steep as it is nowaday... ***** I see a Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate, FORD wanted £20k for :eek::eek::lol::lol:

I have kept both of our cars now and not changed them... Wifes is now 4 years old and mine coming up for 7... both work fine...

Why getting a new car and putting yourself into more debt because the govt will give you £1000 for your old car... which is running, working, no problems... ;) ;) ;)

Prices for cars are too steep as it is nowaday... ***** I see a Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate, FORD wanted £20k for :eek::eek::lol::lol:

I have kept both of our cars now and not changed them... Wifes is now 4 years old and mine coming up for 7... both work fine...

It's the law of diminishing returns - it is only really worth changing a car when the total costs of ownership outweigh the cost of replacement.

And another scrappage factor to consider. The NEW car you buy will have to be built in Britain, so that's Auris and Avensis, you wont get the allowance on anything else ;)

EDIT: KC104, sounds like your dealer may be buying an EX Toyota management car, they only have so many days to secure a purchase and is sold on to the next person if they dont buy it. No prices on facelift model yet, BUT if any other new model is anything to go by, you will get a far better deal on the OLD model. Like anything else in life, the new version always commands a higher price, its called supply and demand and in this climate, you can be sure Toyota (or anybody else for that matter) will not be over producing these cars

I have also noticed that the "Free" 2k will only be available for a limited time and for a limeted amount of transactions!

Plus, who's money is the Government using, do you think? Yup.... ours! :angry:

I (We) will CONtribute towards someone who can buy a new car, that I (We) can't afford, without my (our) consent! :angry::angry:

I already pay for others to use the roads for free or very cheap! Road tax is meant to pay for maintainence of roads, yet low priced taxation cars STILL cause as much wear and tear as mine!

Cleaner cars should be progress in manufacture, not an excuse for robbing others. likewise, new car purchase should not cost others who cannot afford to buy!! I cannot beleive how quickly people want to jump on a bandwagon, just to save themselves some cash.. HAGGLE with the dealer if you really wanna save a bit of cash!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links