Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Me Please Lol

Matt Martin

ok please help me! ive been a ford man for years and now ive gone a bought a surf as a daily runner and have a few questions...

1. its an import and hence jap writting everywhere, what does the red button at the top right corner of a the auto shifter do?

2. whats the ECT button do and what does it stand for?

3. how do you dismantle the dash area where the sterio is so i can rip the crappy MD player out and fit summut half decent lol

and where are the pit falls in owning a Hilux Surf lol

if its any help its a K plate, 4runner, 2.5 TD automatic, with the Badge SSR-X on the boot lid

Hello and welcome

1. The red button is there so you can move the auto selector without having the engine running.(if you use the button ,,make sure you're NOT on a slope otherwise you'll roll away.and use the handbrake.)

2. The ECT switch will allow the gearbox to change gear later in the rev range,(good for towing etc etc)

3.To change the stereo you will need to drop both sides of the lower dash, remove the trim around the heater controls as this will allow you access to the screws hidden behind it. with the lower dash's removed you'll see the four main cross headed 10mm bolts that retain the stereo. refit is the same but in reverse

The pitfalls of running a surf is you will need plenty of wedge to keep the fuel tank full. Other than that if you've got a good one you should have many years trouble free motoring.

One thing i would mention.......If you don't have any service history with the vehicle then give it a good service and get the cam belt changed. If it goes,then be prepared for a hefty bill.

Happy motoring

Cheers

Paul

cool thanks for that, i will attempt doing the sterio this weekend, the car just had a cam belt and a new MOT put on it the week i picked it up but am giving it a service myself this week

cheers for your help

Matt

Make sure you have genuine paperwork for the cambelt........i've bought several cars and been told the belt had been changed.........whipped the cover off and it was obvious it hadn't.......peugeot 306 XSI twin cam is a bit of a bugger to do but managed it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links