Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Rattle From Engine

Alex-malta

Hello there.

I'm getting a strange rattle from the engine whilst i'm lifting the clutch and the car starts to move. The rattle disappears as I push on the accellerator. No rattle when the car is idling. Any ideas what could it be?

Hello there.

I'm getting a strange rattle from the engine whilst i'm lifting the clutch and the car starts to move. The rattle disappears as I push on the accellerator. No rattle when the car is idling. Any ideas what could it be?

Possible first signs of DMF failure?

I might have the same thing. Mine occurs mainly when the engine's warm. I hear it pulling away in first, and then much clearer when I press the clutch pedal to shift into second. It sounds as if something metal's been dropped and is bouncing. The problem for me is that - this being my first and only non-petrol - I could easily be persuaded it's just the sound of a diesel. The car sounds fine idling, and in general cruising, accelerating.

Was hoping DMF wouldn't be an issue... 2006 car with just 20,000 on the clock.

Perhaps I should get the dealership to check it out before the 3 years is up. Can they tell by examining the car, rather than simply driving and listening?

Cheers, B

Yes they should be able to do. Please keep us informed on this as it would be our first recorded 4.3 DMF failure.

I doubt that it is and sicerely hope it is just a normal noise but do please keep us informed.

Will do. (Incidentally, would I win any kind of a prize?)

It might take a while, though. You've reassured me enough to put it off a couple of weeks or so.

The problem is not knowing what are normal diesel noises. I'm not overly sensitive to engine noise (I also drive a 73 Beetle), but just never owned an oil-burner before. I'm certain, though, that this noise is more noticeable at the end of long journeys, when the engine's hot. It's as if - on pushing the clutch, before changing up to second, or coasting to a halt - someone's dropping a big metal ball and it's bouncing on the floor (it gets quicker).

I'll let you know what happens.

B

Hmmm, I don't care for the sound of that. I think it might be prudent to go sooner rather than later. Has it got worse or always the same?

The gearbox can make some funny noises but without hearing it I could be giving you bad advice by not getting it in to the dealer. Better safe than sorry.

Fingers crossed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links