Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Hilux

RAWS

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie and never had a 4*4 before, allways wanted a Toyota Hilux, so I have bought an 04 plate single cab truck. I hate rust and want to sort out underneath as their is rust. I was thinking of sanding this down and painting with hammerite and treating the wheel arches with a bitumin type wax oyl from Halfords. What do you think? Looked into a proper job in excess of £400.00, a bit pricey as I am going to have a speedliner job in the back which is taking the extra cash!

Any advice appreciated!

RAWS

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie and never had a 4*4 before, allways wanted a Toyota Hilux, so I have bought an 04 plate single cab truck. I hate rust and want to sort out underneath as their is rust. I was thinking of sanding this down and painting with hammerite and treating the wheel arches with a bitumin type wax oyl from Halfords. What do you think? Looked into a proper job in excess of £400.00, a bit pricey as I am going to have a speedliner job in the back which is taking the extra cash!

Any advice appreciated!

RAWS

Should of mentioned it is a 2.5 D4D

Hammerite is pretty pants for rust proofing................you'd need to remove all of the rust and put a good coat of decent paint on it....not worth the hassle in my opinion....you'll be 90yrs old before the rust becomes a problem underneath.

• 4 weeks later...
Hammerite is pretty pants for rust proofing................you'd need to remove all of the rust and put a good coat of decent paint on it....not worth the hassle in my opinion....you'll be 90yrs old before the rust becomes a problem underneath.

Maybe in your neck of the woods cr! ;)

RAWS, in herefordshire you shouldn't have too much bother so long as you don't go running it into the sea for any reason. Otherwise I would still recommend renewing wax oyl every couple of years. I've only just bought a hilux, but my previous 4X4 took about 10litres every two/three years, applied by compressor hose gun, and that routine kept it pretty well. Rusty spots can be wire brushed and 'hammerited' or use rust eating primer. Neither of which is very good but better than nowt! Glass flake paint is the business, but too expensive to be worth considering.

Off roading in peat doesn't help much, as the chassis doesn't drain well. Winter salt is worse. Another handy hint is to rig up a hose attachment for washing underneath. I'll post details if you are interested. It's very low tech but helps a lot.

HTH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links