Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed By Prospective Purchaser Please

davidrc

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Rav4 and am looking at a 2006 2.2 xt3, with about 30k on the clock.

Are there any common problems I should be looking for? Is the DMF still a potential problem or did that only apply to earlier cars (I will be towing a caravan with it).

It will have it's 3 year service when sold, are there any expensive service requirements in the next 2 or 3 years 20/30k miles ( I bought my present car at similar age and mileage and was faced with big service costs at year 4).

All advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Rav4 and am looking at a 2006 2.2 xt3, with about 30k on the clock.

Are there any common problems I should be looking for? Is the DMF still a potential problem or did that only apply to earlier cars (I will be towing a caravan with it).

It will have it's 3 year service when sold, are there any expensive service requirements in the next 2 or 3 years 20/30k miles ( I bought my present car at similar age and mileage and was faced with big service costs at year 4).

Hi David, welcome to the club! :)

There are no known issues with the DMF on the current shape Rav 4 (you'll hear us describe the current shape as "4.3" as it's the 3rd generation) and there are many people who tow with the car you are buying on here.

There have been some issues with the EGR valve blocking, but there is an ECU upgrade which should help with this problem and it should be done during the 30k service (might be worth checking!).

Some of us (including me) have had replacement parts in the steering shaft to remove a noticeable 'click' in the steering at low speed. It's not a safety issue, but if you do notice something get it done under warranty.

Finally, if you have any wind noise from around the wing mirrors/front door windows then you need the modified plastic covers for the underneath of the wing mirrors. These do make a difference to cabin noise! :)

I'd expect a 40k service to be around the £250 mark (depending on where you live/who you use) as there aren't too many differences between the 20k and 40k services. For reference, a 30k service is around the £150 mark.

Hope that's a help :D

Hi,

Hi David, welcome to the club! :)

There are no known issues with the DMF on the current shape Rav 4 (you'll hear us describe the current shape as "4.3" as it's the 3rd generation) and there are many people who tow with the car you are buying on here.

There have been some issues with the EGR valve blocking, but there is an ECU upgrade which should help with this problem and it should be done during the 30k service (might be worth checking!).

Some of us (including me) have had replacement parts in the steering shaft to remove a noticeable 'click' in the steering at low speed. It's not a safety issue, but if you do notice something get it done under warranty.

Finally, if you have any wind noise from around the wing mirrors/front door windows then you need the modified plastic covers for the underneath of the wing mirrors. These do make a difference to cabin noise! :)

I'd expect a 40k service to be around the £250 mark (depending on where you live/who you use) as there aren't too many differences between the 20k and 40k services. For reference, a 30k service is around the £150 mark.

Hope that's a help :D

For your interest I tow a Bailey Pageant Provence Sries 7 with my Rav. The Rav is a very capable tower, but is a 6 gear car which produces 33 m.p.h. per 1000 revs in 6th gear. Consequently the oportunities for driving in top gear with a medium sized caravan opn the back are limited. Fuel consumption does drop from around 48 m.p.g. to around the 30 mark whilst towing; nevertheless I am very happy with the Rav.

Can't find any pictures of a RAV tower.......

T84ZN595.jpg

but this is a tower of Smart's! :lol::lol:

T84ZN595.jpg

:D

T84ZN595.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: maybe its his ivory tower he's referring to.

Hi. I traded down/up (take your pick) to my 4.3 T180 from a Land-cruiser. Having had "trucks" for many years, it was a revelation how civilized a soft-roader was. You'll find it so nice to drive and the rebel in you will enjoy taunting the other "softeys" to follow you in the twisty bits. My 4.3 does have a few stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet, had the steering "knock" ( fixed) , EGR gremlin (to be fixed tomorrow) and had the dodgy floor-mat mounting recall, but I still love it. Try some of the competition, I did, and then try (buy) the RAV...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links