Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ive Killed It......

Mint_sauce

Naval Jelly, i think your on the wrong forum old boy :lol: ;)

Naval Jelly was one of the best "rust removers/converters" available....................I used it on many of my early rust buckets.

It even helped stop my old FIAT 126 from falling apart for a while ;) :lol:

Naval Jelly, i think your on the wrong forum old boy :lol: ;)

Ah, the Youth of today :( They never heard of the good old remedies, now banned, which worked a treat :lol:

Another one was to put a Spider web over a wound to help it heal :thumbsup: True :yes:

But, Naval Jelly was the Bees knees. Probably called that because it was used on Navy Ships to cure rust permanently. There may have been fumes from the chemical reaction which are now considered dangerous :death: but as you can see, both Steve & I survived extensive use of it (on our cars :lol:)

It still exists !

NaI(s) + H3PO4(l) → NaH2PO4(s) + HI(g)

[edit] Rust removal

Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer." As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes). After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted, it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however.

If you Google it, there are places still selling it :thumbsup:

http://www.americantechnology.co.uk

Sure if the engines f**ked you have nothing to lose, loads of reviews saying it works, not sure myself

interesting........

and i think this is appropriate for above :offtopic: :P

Nevertheless, as you said "Interesting" :laughing:

Sure if the engines f**ked you have nothing to lose, loads of reviews saying it works, not sure myself

interesting........

this is true,

so can you use that stuff on anything???

interesting........

this is true,

so can you use that stuff on anything

So it says on the tin :thumbsup:

interesting........

this is true,

so can you use that stuff on anything

So it says on the tin :thumbsup:

ahh rite kwl kwl, mite buy some of that for wen i buy a pickup :)

the t sport has a 'burn oil issue'. something toyota forgot to mention. its because of the burn oil issue on the vvtli they didnt extend the warrenty like they did with the plain vvti. jus remember too check it regular

the t sport has a 'burn oil issue'. something toyota forgot to mention. its because of the burn oil issue on the vvtli they didnt extend the warrenty like they did with the plain vvti. jus remember too check it regular

Mine doesn't ... :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Service reminder sticker on my windscreen said to have her serviced in May 09 or @ 139000 miles, whichever came 1st. Asked in the Garage I have used for years about this instruction & they told me she'd be ok as I still have 7,000 miles to go :thumbsup:

I went to my local Motor Factors & asked about STP. They knew of it , but wasn't in stock. They gave me Wynns which they say does the same job. It is a trusted name, so I purchased, & put it in. Seems ok so far. I do a lot of short runs & the engine has relatively high mileage, so I reckoned it is a good idea.

:offtopic: Brought the G/F's car ( not Toyota :( ) to the same Garage for a pre NCT check & they told me that an engine mounting was gone, but to put it in for the test anyway, in case something else turned up. The testers missed/ignored it & passed the car :rolleyes:

Neither of us are flush, so aren't doing anything about it. Is there any problem likely to occur driving it like this ? Does it put added stress on the other mountings ? We were quoted Euro200 approx to have it fixed- parts, labour & VAT>

well, i was driving down the road to pick my friends ps3 up from his house, and drove back again,

on the way back, i herd a very weird noise.....

so got back lifted the bonnet up, to check and see if everything was ok....

all seemed fine

left the engine running, so just blipped the throttle slightly, and it suddenly sounded like a diesel for all of 2 secsond, then it went back to normal.

i suddenly thought to check the oil, as it could be sounding like that due to the lack of oil...

so check it....

nothing....

not even registering on the dipstick..

so i put what i had left in the engine (about a pint) and left it to all drain o the bottom of the engine.

just checked it, and still nothing, im not moving it till i have some more oil in it, dont worry about that...

its weird as i checked the oil a month back and there was the right level....

where has it all gone.

my thoughts are that the head gasket has gone... as there is a slight bit of oil around the exhaust manifold, but im not sure.....

there isnt any oil in the top of the rad, so its not getting into there...

and there isnt exactly what id say to be a serious amount of oil down the back of the engine.....

:(

exactly the same here mate!! ive had to SORN mine as i need new bottom end shells as lack of oil!! i also checked mine only 3 weeks before but i did drive it quite hard! :(

i need a new clutch aswell so i thot i wud put it off the road and do the work my self aswell as extras!!! :D

its bad news wen sum1 in 'the trade' kills there car lol av had pelters!!!

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ I know the feelinf, I've killed 2 e10 4e-fe's so far...rebuilding the one corolla with the best parts now, and the other just got a replacement engine...

one died from piston rings (1995 car with 308,000 odd miles!!!)

other from oil cap flying off haha, so big-ends also ;)

that one was only 175,000 odd miles

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links