Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Help With Knocking Noise

ally2yana

hi,

Need some help i a lost now,I have a knocking noise on the near side front area,? suspension or ???

My car is an E12 53 reg on TTE lowering springs and have only done 22500 miles ,highway miles and this knocking noise

just came on ,now I am using it as everyday car and is a pain,worried now.

I went to my local Quick Fit and these guys think the near side front shock absorber is knocked (really it has only done

22500 miles and highway miles hardly used at all) and happily quoted me 346 pounds to fit 2 front shocks and shock tops,

would have been more expensive it I did not say insist that my springs are TTE aftermarket lowering springs,so I said

thanks I will give a call.

Then not convinced I went to another shop Croxdale Fast Fit and coulnt see anything wrong with suspension or shocks I

insist the noise is there and the lad went with me a test drive and heard the the knocking noise without looking at it again,

told his manager it is the suspension drop link and will cost 59 pounds.

My dillema is which shop should I go for ,I am afraid if Croxdale fit the drop link and is not broken the noise will be there

and will not go over again,but I am more afraid or not entirely convince the my shocks will be knocked after just 22500

highway miles as what these Quick fit lads were suggesting.

I need some advice on these pls.

Thanks

Does the sound come when you are pulling off only? or is it constant whilst driving. determine when the sound comes eg whilst braking, while pulling away or while driving along at constant speed.

Does the sound come when you are pulling off only? or is it constant whilst driving. determine when the sound comes eg whilst braking, while pulling away or while driving along at constant speed.

hi

the noise only comes on any bumps,pot holes or any unevenness on road surface,there is no noise on braking,pulling off

or even on hard cornering.

thanks

Probably be better to give the cheaper option a go first someoneshould be able to help i had a knocking noise coming from pulling away thought it was my suspension turned out to be a loose nut inside my tyre that kept making a metal on metal sound.

Loose exhaust hanger maybe? Other than that prob anti roll bar bushes although with that mileage i wouldn't think so

Probably be better to give the cheaper option a go first someoneshould be able to help i had a knocking noise coming from pulling away thought it was my suspension turned out to be a loose nut inside my tyre that kept making a metal on metal sound.

Hi

thanks.

the thing is If a went for the cheap option and the noise is not mended I would have just wasted 59 pounds because the lad

did not confirm on inspection that the drop link is broken..

on the other hand I do not mind replacing the shock absorber if it is definitely broken,I just could not believe that is gave way so early

is there any way I can check myself if the shock is knocked,my car is lowered and on 17 Superleggerras with

low profile tyres and ride is a bit harsh already normally there is not much play on the front suspension

thanks

hi Kc

funny you mentioned loose exhaust hanger,the Croxdale guy did tighten a loose nut on the front exhaust and then he gave the keys and try if the noise is gone if didnt that is when he went for ride with me and heard the knocking noise..

its best to try the cheap option first, i had a knocking noise coming from my car and i took it to a few garages and they assumed it was the drive shaft........a week later my car died on me an it would no longer go into gear and the prblem was that my gearbox seized up! which then cost me £500..... i wasted £80 for nothing but it was a gamble!

as for kwik fit they are a load of S***T they are a bunch of thieveing idiots! (in my area ONLY)

go for cheapest option first but also go to a few independant garages! :)

yer dont go to kwik fit or hi-q mate, at the end of the day they're just tyre fitters and will try and take people for a ride if they think that you dont know sh*t about your car, as other people have said try another, private but reputable garage (have an ask around your mates)

it could still be the shocker, at the end of the day lowering on standard shocks isn't ideal as you are putting more stress on the seals of the shocker than what is normal so hitting any sizeable bump or pothole could rupture the seal, although not likely on newer cars as they will have higher operating pressures but is still possible

basically what everyone else has said is sound advice, check drop links, bump stops, top mounts (may have knackered a bearing), exhaust hangers etc etc

good luck mate

hi,it will probarbly be the drop links,get a pair yourself from a motor factors and fit them yourself,dead easy job and will only cost about 30£,you would be surprised at how many we fit at our workshop.

hi

thanks for all the advise,will definitely bring my car to a few more garages...

just notice today ,the knocking noise can only be heard after rolling over a speed hump, I mean when you ran over a

speed hump the noise will not come on the approach but definitely after I get over the humps does it mean anything?y

hi tccom ,are drop links easy to fit ,do I need to replace them as a pair,anyone has a link for drop link suitable for corolla

tried to search on web but no luck..

hi

just notice today ,the knocking noise can only be heard after rolling over a speed hump, I mean when you ran over a

speed hump the noise will not come on the approach but definitely after I get over the humps does it mean anything?y

hi tccom ,are drop links easy to fit ,do I need to replace them as a pair,anyone has a link for drop link suitable for corolla

if its only on one side just fit one.easy to fit one nut on each end,but you have to hold the stud on the inside with a open ended spanner.

hi

if its only on one side just fit one.easy to fit one nut on each end,but you have to hold the stud on the inside with a open ended spanner.

The drop links are a likely culprit, and a piece of cake to fit thats where i would start, if your struggling take some pics na dsend um to me and ill highlight what ya need to do.

A note on tyre depots for all:

This is my personal experience...

A few years ago I was in need of a job urgently and reluctantly started for a tyre depot(you no the sort) in a local town, whilst I was trying to get something better. The first week I was there they got me looking at a young womans brake system, she came in for a checkup as it was new car shed recently bought. I couldn't find anything wrong, all the discs and pads were nearly new and the fluid was clean and the brakes very effective and the manager told me to tell her that the car was unsafe and that we should replace all the discs and pads - quote £300 ish!!! I refused and resigned the following day after a similar incident with an elederly gentleman and his suspension, I couldnt bring myself to lie to people, but I think this shows the mentality of some of these places and shows why you should go to a reputable local garage instead of a tyre depot.

Sorry to highjack this thread with a winge but people in that sort of position who lie are **&*&*

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links