Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Heat Shield

funkyg

Was driving home last night, when I heard and felt something as if I'd run over something. Looked in my mirror and saw something in the road. Pulled up and picked it up and looked under the car and it looks like the a heat shield for the exhaust. I can see a metal bracket where it should have gone.

The car is a 2001 2.0 vvti.

It's not the big heat shield that goes over the manifold in the engine bay, it's the thin foot long one that goes on the underside after the down pipe just before the middle silencer.

Thinking about it now, I do recall scraping the underside a couple of weeks ago after driving slowly through a huge pot hole, which has probably dislodged it.

I'm going to check underneath for any obvious exhaust leaks at the weekend but I couldn't see any last night.

Can anyone think of any problems if I didn't put it back on? It's not like it went between the car and exhaust, from memory of last time I was under the car it just went on the outside of the exhaust.

Was driving home last night, when I heard and felt something as if I'd run over something. Looked in my mirror and saw something in the road. Pulled up and picked it up and looked under the car and it looks like the a heat shield for the exhaust. I can see a metal bracket where it should have gone.

The car is a 2001 2.0 vvti.

It's not the big heat shield that goes over the manifold in the engine bay, it's the thin foot long one that goes on the underside after the down pipe just before the middle silencer.

Thinking about it now, I do recall scraping the underside a couple of weeks ago after driving slowly through a huge pot hole, which has probably dislodged it.

I'm going to check underneath for any obvious exhaust leaks at the weekend but I couldn't see any last night.

Can anyone think of any problems if I didn't put it back on? It's not like it went between the car and exhaust, from memory of last time I was under the car it just went on the outside of the exhaust.

hello mate

firstly you'd locate the exact place where this piece from;

secondly you'd come on the inspection pit and look around in oorder to be focused on the spot.

after that you can think where this piece from and what to do.

as we did not see your car and moreover this piece to give you an advice.

in case this shield has some mounting holes -- this means you can easily just to have the bolts replaced, but in case this piece is from silencer (bottom part) then this one must be made of stainless steel and serves as additional bottom cover preventing corrossion of silencer itself.

have a look and adopt decision what to do. we are here to assist, if any

cheers/Igor

• 2 months later...

Did you get anywhere with this? Looked at mine and the front bracket is no longer supporting the shield but moving freely along the pipe. The support by the box should be fixed in two places but mine is only secured in one. Presumably this protects the bodywork from heat as it seems to fit better that way. Mine had swivelled on the pipe and was hanging towards the ground.

edit: didn't notice this was the Avensis forum when I searched on toc but it's the same engine!

• 9 years later...

my car is an avensis and mine gos over the exhaust just befor the back box it as fell down and is resting on the exhaust it sounds like a motor bike be hind me

some one let me know how to fix thanks

Hi Leonard. Have a look at this - https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/1871

I had to look through your other posts to know what car engine you have, but it doesn't matter in this case. The original posters car was a T22, yours is a T25. My car is a T27, but the shields are fitted the same way. Here is info on the shields - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/cdt250r-almeyw/3_273550_083_223W

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links