Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is This Compartment In A '99 Camry Le?

SFAM

When I was looking at a '99 Camry LE (considering buying) yesterday, there was a small compartment in the headliner area, near the windshield (like where a map light might go on some cars). This compartment was about 4x7 inches and appeared to have a 1.5 inch little circular black mesh speaker grill in the center inside it, with a door that would close up over it with a button (with various sized extenders) as if you would use this compartment to hold some device and then press a button on the compartment cover to activate a device inside it. I've never seen such a thing and can't imagine what this little compartment is for! I'm new to Camrys and not familiar with some of their features. Any clues would be appreciated!

Also, how does the alarm system function on a '99 Camry LE? This car had a little red light on the dashboard, but I saw no other knobs or switches to manipulate, and the car lot guy only had the ignition key and didn't to know much about it. Do I need an alarm control button device to activate it. Just unfamiliar with Camrys! Thanks!

SFAM

Your asking on the wrong forums really, this is the UK site, and in the UK Camry's are extremely rare.

However, I believe the compartment you are referring to is used for storing glasses/sunglasses in.

As for the alarm, it functions off the key and central locking system, no other intervention is required.

Ah! In my haste, I failed to notice this is a UK site! Thank you for your information!

So THAT'S why there wasn't a separate Camry forum! It all seems so obvious now! :)

SFAM

When I was looking at a '99 Camry LE (considering buying) yesterday, there was a small compartment in the headliner area, near the windshield (like where a map light might go on some cars). This compartment was about 4x7 inches and appeared to have a 1.5 inch little circular black mesh speaker grill in the center inside it, with a door that would close up over it with a button (with various sized extenders) as if you would use this compartment to hold some device and then press a button on the compartment cover to activate a device inside it. I've never seen such a thing and can't imagine what this little compartment is for! I'm new to Camrys and not familiar with some of their features. Any clues would be appreciated!

Also, how does the alarm system function on a '99 Camry LE? This car had a little red light on the dashboard, but I saw no other knobs or switches to manipulate, and the car lot guy only had the ignition key and didn't to know much about it. Do I need an alarm control button device to activate it. Just unfamiliar with Camrys! Thanks!

SFAM

That's for your garage door opener. My Dodge Grand Caravan has one. You stick your garage remote in the compartment using velcro, then put the right length extender to press the button when you press the cover.

Thanks James! I had kinda come to that conclusion, because the little metal grill (which I assume lets the device signal exit the vehicle) at the top of the compartment would do a nasty job on any sunglasses, and the different length extensions would seem to facilitate various sizes of devices to operate. I did buy the car, BTW. I think I'll cover the inside of the compartment with felt or something and make it a sunglasses case afterall, since I don't have a garage door opener! Thanks again!

SFAM

Thanks James! I had kinda come to that conclusion, because the little metal grill (which I assume lets the device signal exit the vehicle) at the top of the compartment would do a nasty job on any sunglasses, and the different length extensions would seem to facilitate various sizes of devices to operate. I did buy the car, BTW. I think I'll cover the inside of the compartment with felt or something and make it a sunglasses case afterall, since I don't have a garage door opener! Thanks again!

SFAM

There ya go then, first difference between UK and US spec Camry's! Over here it's a felt lined sunglasses holder.