Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Mr2 Tried To Kill Me

Bob Brown

I literally just span out into a big hedge row (very lucky) and hopefully theres no damage, but damn, it was raining so lightly and I should have known better :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

No damage meaning a new rear bumper minimum

Welcome to the world of owning an MR2!

Spun mine loads on round a bouts in the wet... some on here have come out much worse. I'm about to warn you that members will tell you to spend on decent rubber!

Yep, they can bite you in the bum if you don't anticipate road conditions and us a little too much right footage ;)

Glad it sounds like minimum damage although any damage to ones pride and joy isn't very nice :(

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Les

Old chestnut time:

What tyres do you have?.. front and rear?

What makes and sizes, all 4 tyres should be the same make and model, there should be bigger tyres on the rear.

Hope the car is ok and glad no-one was hurt.

What rubber is recommended? I'll find out whats on there now when it gets back from the garage. Just having it checked over and some grass removal....

What rubber is recommended? I'll find out whats on there now when it gets back from the garage. Just having it checked over and some grass removal....

I had a big moment yesterday morning going down a country lane that I use everyday, back came out on me at 55mph on a very shallow bend, took me totally by surprise but I was able to just steer back in and caught it. I was even picking out my landing spot, it was either under the car coming towards me, or the the hedge on the left!!.

I have new tyres front and rear, Pirelli P6000's, which are so good in the dry its untrue, but I think having done less than 100 miles they weren't scrubbed in totally.

Having had Bridgestone RE040's, they are pretty good too but in the dry I really rate the Pirelli, hopefully they will be a little more predictable in the wet once they have done a few more miles though.

I mirror what other people have said though, the MR2 Roadster is a great car, but you do have to treat it with respect and be on your guard as it will bite if you push it. :rolleyes:

Looks like I bent the cross member........ sounds expensive, going to have to speak to the garage.

but I think having done less than 100 miles they weren't scrubbed in totally.

New tyres are as lethal as old worn ones for the first few hundred miles. Do MR2’s have Potenza’s as standard same as my Yaris TS?

MR2's have Yokohama A043 as standard, I would recomend them or Toyo (which I currently have) or Goodyear GSD3's

Looks like I'm currently running the p6000s, not sure if thats good or not! Maybe I could do with a new set.

Are your tyres different sizes from front to rear?

NP Bob, you obviously have a pre 2003 car as it is the later models that came with the 16" rears.

The sizes you have are correct, but always make sure you have the same make and model of tyre on all 4 corners, also, if at all possible, try not to skimp on tyres... buy the best you can afford.

Hopoefully you can get the car repaired ok, remember to get the *GEOMETRIC settings checked and adjust.

*A geometric check will check 15 different angles on the car incl castor and camber, whereas as tracking/allignment will only check 2 angles, getting a geometric check will ensure the car is running straight and make sure nothing else is put of shape.

MR2's have Yokohama A043 as standard, I would recomend them or Toyo (which I currently have) or Goodyear GSD3's

Also come with Bridgestone Potenzas RE040 as standard as well.Mine did.

Very happy with mine.

• 3 weeks later...
NP Bob, you obviously have a pre 2003 car as it is the later models that came with the 16" rears.

The sizes you have are correct, but always make sure you have the same make and model of tyre on all 4 corners, also, if at all possible, try not to skimp on tyres... buy the best you can afford.

Hopoefully you can get the car repaired ok, remember to get the *GEOMETRIC settings checked and adjust.

*A geometric check will check 15 different angles on the car incl castor and camber, whereas as tracking/allignment will only check 2 angles, getting a geometric check will ensure the car is running straight and make sure nothing else is put of shape.

I'm not alone in spinning the MR2 then! Spun mine about 2 weeks after i had it! Never again!!!

The first time I spun mine was only by 90 degrees and in the snow, so I wasn't that suprised by it. However, the main event, was either.. 90 degrees or 270. I don't really know which way I went. The path through the grass made it look like a simple (yet fast) slide.... But there was a lot of grass in my tyre beads on the opposite side that didn't really make much sense and I can't remember exactly myself.

I was coming off a roundabout in the wet just this weekend at about 30mph and for the first time ever I felt understeer! Then oversteer! and ended up in a 4 way drift for a moment, I think if I'd paniced I would have spun it infront of a Boxter - again, not cool.

Update on my repairs, the bumper support has been replaced, removing the bumper is an absolute doddle, did it myself as it would have cost an arm and a leg otherwise. Now for the bumper Shell.

• 2 weeks later...

Spun mine a week or so ago and just received an estimate for €8000 to repair it as I hit a sign post smack in the middle of the car. I was coming off a roundabout at about 20-25mph and suddenly noticed the backend was going out. I tried to straighten it only to end on the grass facing the right way but with a sign under the car.

The police told me that there's a heating oil depot just off the roundabout so there are often crashes there after it rains as the lorries leave oil on the road.

Anyone know where I can cheap parts. I live in Belgium but could come to the UK if the price is goo enough.

Cheers,

Matt.

post-72069-1245695090_thumb.jpg

Spun mine a week or so ago and just received an estimate for €8000 to repair it as I hit a sign post smack in the middle of the car. I was coming off a roundabout at about 20-25mph and suddenly noticed the backend was going out. I tried to straighten it only to end on the grass facing the right way but with a sign under the car.

The police told me that there's a heating oil depot just off the roundabout so there are often crashes there after it rains as the lorries leave oil on the road.

Anyone know where I can cheap parts. I live in Belgium but could come to the UK if the price is goo enough.

Cheers,

Matt.

OUCH!!!

Not good Matt :(

Can't help with parts but I hope you get sorted soon :yes:

Spun mine a week or so ago and just received an estimate for €8000 to repair it

What a shame, lovely looking car as well, that doesn’t look healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

F-me thats bad. I found used parts on www.partsgateway.co.uk that were ok, they search through breakers and what not to find what your after

• 5 weeks later...

Well, after a bit of negotiation to get the price down I got a local independent garage to do the work. They've just finished but I won't get to try it for a few days as I'm working abroad for a few more days.

The Mrs sent some photos and it seems like they've done a good job.

I'm looking forward to driving it again, as you can imagine :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links