Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Big End A Comes A Knocking........

boabytsportin

ah well as the topic at the top says the big ends are away and now i need t no weather or not t get it repaired (55000) on the clock..or a second hand engine because also i need a new clutch and maybe that would come with the recon?? anyway al take ur slaggings..ur helpful comments and the ones tellin me i dont deserve a car...im ashamed :(

55k? omg!! thats terrible they only lasted that long, guessing its not under warranty or nothing?

id say getting it reapired would just be as expensive as sourcing a new engine and dropping it in, recon engines on eBay, cant memba how much though!

you could flip this bad situation round into a good one, project car!! if it was me and i had the money i would strip the engine right back, do necessary repairs then build it back up with preformance parts, wouldnt be cheap but result would be well worth the investment!!

ouch dude thats gotta hurt! how did it happen!!

miss shift? u sure the bottom ends gone? have you carried out a compression test. Make sure its not something like a blown clutch or bent flywheel! Bent flywheel will make your car feel as tho its miss firing at idle and struggling.

But if you know its bottom end then well id say have a reconditioned engine put it, they are about 1500-1800 supplied and fitted.

List all the symptons of whats happening and ill walk you through the most possible senario!

If your clutch has gone the bottom end might not be damaged!

Like my other post said it may be your flywheel making your engine feel likes it missing.

List all the symptons of whats happening and ill walk you through the most possible senario!

Like my other post said it may be your flywheel making your engine feel likes it missing.

well a had the mechanic in work to look at it and he says its the big ends :( so al trust him.....it knocks on start up and when over 2500 rpm...almost like an old 1.3 duratec engine..u no the ones lol....its all my own fault not checkin the oil!!!! i forgot these damn things burn it!!!!!!!!!!i was also thinking of a transplant..any ideas?? how does a mr2 turbo sound..prob couldnt be done tho...priced best engine for 1300quid..not good cos i also need a clutch...can fit everything but not tht.....i sound mad lol

well a had the mechanic in work to look at it and he says its the big ends :( so al trust him.....it knocks on start up and when over 2500 rpm...almost like an old 1.3 duratec engine..u no the ones lol....its all my own fault not checkin the oil!!!! i forgot these damn things burn it!!!!!!!!!!i was also thinking of a transplant..any ideas?? how does a mr2 turbo sound..prob couldnt be done tho...priced best engine for 1300quid..not good cos i also need a clutch...can fit everything but not tht.....i sound mad lol

ouch sorry to hear that! how long did you leave the oil before last checking if you dont mind me asking ?

thats bad...nothing of what i though it would be. Oil starvation is fatal for this engine. Look at 2zz-ge on wikipedia oil pump/oil is known as the achillies heel of this engine ;)

how does a mr2 turbo sound..prob couldnt be done tho...

Fensport dropped a Celica GT4 engine in..... ;)

Yea but.. That was bloody expensive with all the custom mountings needed and the help of a 4WD Chasis from Japan! :lol:

You only need an uprated chassis if you're tuning the hell out of it up to 650bhp!!! :lol:

Depends on your budget. Since its screwed, you could get it rebuilt with low compression pistons and turbo it if you wanted to keep it for a while. :D

I'm embarrassed to say but the same thing happened to me with the 1zz on my mr2. I thought its not worth selling it as it was as I'd get nothing so I would have to keep it if I paid to get it sorted. Since I knew I would be keeping it for a while I wanted more performance so its like a new car, so I didnt mind splashing out the extra since I was paying out anyway. Luckily I found a Corolla Compressor engine/gearbox combo on eBay and turned from owner to enthusiast. It will never happen again and I check the oil with my tires weekly. Dont feel too bad. You've learned your lesson and wont do it again!

I check the oil with my tires weekly.

You check the oil with your tires?? :huh:

Surely using the dipstick would be easier?

:lol:

lol norfolk !

star 69 u have a 2zz supercharged powered mr2 roadster ? tell us more...........

thats bad...nothing of what i though it would be. Oil starvation is fatal for this engine. Look at 2zz-ge on wikipedia oil pump/oil is known as the achillies heel of this engine

the oil pump thing only relates to over-revs where the pump blows up.

all engines die on oil starvation. its just that if you hit 8.4k rpm with no oil your really going to know about it very quickly.

but for instance i came from an Sr20 background, which are renown strong/overbuild na engines, they had exactly the same thing if you let it run dry...

i wouldnt want to let a 1.8 turbo or a 2.0 vag turbo run dry either...

basically i wouldnty let any engine run dry, let alone hit lift/boost when doing so!

Theres always one :D

star 69 u have a 2zz supercharged powered mr2 roadster ? tell us more...........

thats the reason I hang in the corolla section, other than the amusing banter :lol: .. Its the only mr2 in existence that has a TTE supercharged 2zz. Other than the engine (which Rogue fitted with a little persuation to clear the supercharger), gearbox and PowerFC its been lowered and braced. Looks totally standard yet embarrasses the hell out of 'sports cars'. 0-60 in less than 5 (due to the weight advantage) and my mate with a boxster s no longer calls me a hairdresser. Bonus! Few bits to come though. Just raided the piggybank and am hoping for 280-300hp VERY soon. I'll post when I do as the mods would apply to you guys too ;)

Oil starvation is fatal for this engine. Look at 2zz-ge on wikipedia oil pump/oil is known as the achillies heel of this engine

I heard this too. A lot of people upgrade to the moroso oil pan as high G's when cornering fast starves the engine, BUT making sure the oil doesnt run empty in the sump is a different kettle of fish!

Theres always one :D

thats the reason I hang in the corolla section, other than the amusing banter :lol: .. Its the only mr2 in existence that has a TTE supercharged 2zz. Other than the engine (which Rogue fitted with a little persuation to clear the supercharger), gearbox and PowerFC its been lowered and braced. Looks totally standard yet embarrasses the hell out of 'sports cars'. 0-60 in less than 5 (due to the weight advantage) and my mate with a boxster s no longer calls me a hairdresser. Bonus! Few bits to come though. Just raided the piggybank and am hoping for 280-300hp VERY soon. I'll post when I do as the mods would apply to you guys too ;)

Oil starvation is fatal for this engine. Look at 2zz-ge on wikipedia oil pump/oil is known as the achillies heel of this engine

I heard this too. A lot of people upgrade to the moroso oil pan as high G's when cornering fast starves the engine, BUT making sure the oil doesnt run empty in the sump is a different kettle of fish!

Its good to have members as such who are making the 2zz-ge look like a real machine keep at it!!

I want to see that mr2 go, they have very good handling from stock anyway you much love all that power.

• 2 weeks later...

ouch sorry to hear that! how long did you leave the oil before last checking if you dont mind me asking ?

honestly??? cant remember..im ashamed!!! must have been a few weeks :(

thinking of a nice loan..car has only done 45k and decided to keep it a while!!! might aswell splash the cash..any ideas welcome! cheers

thinking of a nice loan..car has only done 45k and decided to keep it a while!!! might aswell splash the cash..any ideas welcome! cheers

no warranty claim i take it!??