Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking 06 Yaris

glic

Hi all,

I've an 06 Yaris and since around the time of the recall which got them to check the steering column, theres a very strange creaking from the steering.

It happens rarely on the road but is very loud every so often when I swing the car around into a parking space.. basically when its moving forward and the wheel is turned 45 - 90 degrees.

Theres also a creaking from the back of the car too.

I'm getting sick of creaky noises from the car and I've only had it 6 months. The first was a rattling clutch plate that ended up with the whole clutch unit being replaced under warranty. The warranty is up soon though and I bought this to last me to 100k miles. 70k miles to go and with that creaking from the steering/suspension and the rear of the car, I'll go mad.

I would mention this to the dealer who carried out the recall and let them take a look, they should be able to put it right.

I would mention this to the dealer who carried out the recall and let them take a look, they should be able to put it right.

The car is back from the full service today. As I thought, the mechanic couldnt "recreate" the noise so its still there. He's checked out everything and he says it looks fine. Looks like I'll just have to wait and hope it gets to the point where it can be recognised, hopefully before the warranty is up.

Or you could allways turn the stereo up!! :lol:

No seriously, i know how annoying rattles and squeeks are. They used to drive me mad but most of them are just the car and i'm not gonna spend hundreds replacing everything.

But then you car's a lot newer than mine so i would imagine it driving you crazy!!

Usually the only way to fix these things is to lie under the thing and check everything yourself. ;)

Or you could allways turn the stereo up!! :lol:

No seriously, i know how annoying rattles and squeeks are. They used to drive me mad but most of them are just the car and i'm not gonna spend hundreds replacing everything.

But then you car's a lot newer than mine so i would imagine it driving you crazy!!

Usually the only way to fix these things is to lie under the thing and check everything yourself. ;)

I've narrowed it down now to when Im driving straight and then swinging left into a parking space, I turn the wheel 90 degrees left and the car turns.. when I restraighten the wheel the loud creak happens then.

slide the tilt and telescopic steering column and it will stop the creak, happened to mine and i found that the lubricant is squeezed out of the slide mechanism after use, sliding and tilting the steering re-lubricates the slide, hope this helps you

slide the tilt and telescopic steering column and it will stop the creak, happened to mine and i found that the lubricant is squeezed out of the slide mechanism after use, sliding and tilting the steering re-lubricates the slide, hope this helps you

Sorry I'm a complete car newbie. How would I go about this? Thanks a lot!

I have exactly the samevproblem on my '58 plate yaris SR. I will try the suggestion above about moving the column about, but its in for ist 1st service (10k) in 1500 miles time, so probably about early July time and i was going to mention it then.

Otherwise, no problems to report, It did the juddery start off a few times but not for the last 5k miles, and it seems to be freeing up nicely now and is getting better on fuel all the time.

Il report back on the steering column tomorrow when i have tried moving it about.

the loud creaking noise when turning the steering could possibly be the rubber strut tops weve been doing alot recently

My steering wheel on my 2008 TR started to creak last week. Tried the above and it seemed to work ! Will see how it goes for the next few weeks, thank you :rolleyes:

I think my problem is further down towards the wheel and suspension area. I adjusted the steering wheel to see if moving it around a bit stopped the creak but no joy there. So frustrating that I cant show the mechanic the noise because it happens most in city driving, i.e. parking spaces and tight roundabouts.

My steering wheel on my 2008 TR started to creak last week. Tried the above and it seemed to work ! Will see how it goes for the next few weeks, thank you :rolleyes:

Yep Worked for me too.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem to the above posters. I've noticed only in the last week that a creaking sound coming from what sounds like the rear drivers side wheel when I'm turning around a tight roundabout for example. I've no idea what I'm looking for, but when I got home I moved the rear of the car up and down, but no noise, so I assume it isn't suspension related.

Any suggestions to what I could look for would be appreciated. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but clear guidance would be great as I'm a novice at this sort of thing, basic car maintence is a doddle. Thanks in advance (if any of the suggestions above apply, I do apologise).

Edit : If it helps, my Yaris is a 2000 vvti

I also had this (see my thread

Oddly enough, the noise lasted only for about 4 days, then it magically disappeared all on its own.

I'm taking it back to Toyota in a few weeks for them to do the MOT that should have been done when I bought the car, and I'll get them to check things out at the same time as its under a year's warranty.

I did that and it made it much better but it was still groaning. My steering wheel is all the way down so I moved it slightly back towards me and then locked it in that position and it's now as quiet as a mouse. The strange thing is that the steering feels a bit smoother and nicer. I've had the wheel in the same position since I bought the car in March 2007 so that could explain it.

Thanks for that tip though, it was starting to drive me nuts. :thumbsup:

Gordie

• 3 months later...

My wife just bought a 56 Yaris, it has a similar problem. I can see how to titlt the column, but how do you slide it?