Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highest Mileage Per Tank Achieved - On The Beep - Petrol Only

Bigmo

I have not had mine longer enough to do a proper fuel usage test yet, but my wife's hdi picasso does well over 50mpg in the summer but struggles to get 50mpg in the winter months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigmo

• AygoYugo

• AYGOgummy

• Angryhatter

Bleep finally came today at 358 miles. Filled up at 366.7 miles, so average economy (urban) worked out at 46.2 MPG. Whilst this is a bit off the quoted figure, it's not bad given the current weather conditions plus the fact everyone's been stuck in crawling traffic - which isn't great for mpg. I'll be aiming for the big 400 next time instead! (I probably would have got closer to 390 had I let it run completely dry, but decided not to risk it :P) It's an improvement on last time too, where I filled up at 325 miles! :D

It's not always a good idea to let the fuel tank get too low. :nono:

Tank sediment can be sucked into the fuel system. :unsure:

Petrol could also be in short supply if fuel tankers can't beat the snow. :o

Yeah that's why I decided to fill up a few miles after the bleep came. Particularly in this weather, I didn't want to be stranded anywhere in the snow with low fuel!

• 2 weeks later...

286 Miles is my best i have got out of a tank im getting about 256 now which is about 30mpg which costs me £33 every 2 months

Just got back from a long weekend. Pulled up at home with 344 miles on the trip still on 5th bar. Bars ran down at 79, 160, 221, and 300 for the 4th. Filled up before the weekend with 194 miles on the trip, only got 17.5 litres in -50 mpg mainly 8 mile urban traffic to work. I,m happy with that. Hoping to better that when I fill up later this week.

Steve

Good advice LakeUK.

I have been trying to improve my MPG for a while. I shall add what I haven't been doing from that list to the stuff i already do.

Started using Fuelly now as well.

Only 3 fills but I seem to get a consistent 55 MPG despite various driving conditions, interesting.

28124.png

Only getting 340 miles to the beep on mine. This is urban driving. Getting about 87 miles on the first bar from full.

Another disappointing fuel up with a return of just 41.7 UK miles per gallon :( :angry:

although I have had to leave the engine running on a few occasions whilst

the heater de-frosts the windscreen.

My fuel consumption figures are very accurate, measuring from brim full

to brim full. Milage for the tank was 309 UK miles. I don't like running the

tank so low - it sucks in sediment - so I'll start to fill up when the trip meter

gets to 250 miles in future. B)

Just gone to the beep. 388 miles.

Can't seem to get less than 50mpg no matter how I drive.

Steve

I dream of 50 mpg ! :rolleyes:

...but my Blue is only used for work and shops, loads of stop / start driving

and she's never done more than a five mile run.

I'm just gutted that she's gone from a high of 48.6 mpg to 41.7 mpg with

identical driving - except for the freezing weather.

Roll on Summer ! :thumbsup:

Still struggling to get to 50MPG. Hoping to see some improvement in the summer as I only get 290/300 miles average before the beep at the moment and its a little disappointing.

Hi, when I picked up my Aygo the dealer filled it right up and today the beep sounded and only the last bar is showing. I've done 282 miles to the beep, but as I don't know how much fuel is left when the beep sounds I can't work out my mpg. It's all town driving so does it sound reasonable for a brand new car?

Are you sure the dealer filled it up properly?

Dus to the digital gauge a bar can be visible within a range of roughly 5 to 6 liters,

so 6 bars could be a full tank, but it can also be just 30 liters or less...

Working out your MPG need to be done by the numbers

on the pump as the beep can vary about 2 to 3 liters too...

Fill it up properly (I allwas fill up to the brim of the filler neck),

reset the tripmeter, drive, then fill up again to the same level.

That's the only proper and reliable way to calculate MPG.

.....as I don't know how much fuel is left when the beep sounds, I can't work out my mpg.

That's wrong - and I agree with Jan van...

You can only get an accurate consumption rate after you have filled the fuel tank

brim full for the second time. (brim full like when you can actually see the fuel

level resting in the neck of the fuel tank)

Fill up first, zero the trip meter and run the car for 250 - 300 miles.

Fuel up again to brim full, noting the number of litres and the trip milage.

Divide the litres by 4.5454545 to get UK gallons.

Don't rely on those six segments on the fuel guage - they are far from

being equal segments. My first segment is worth about 100 miles but the

fifth segment can be no more than about 10 miles :angry:

I find this site handy for working my mpg. My Blue was on 320 miles to the first beep when new but now has gone up to around 350 . Going on first long run this weekend so shall see if it improves again.Visit My Website

I find this website useful for calculating MPG - www.fuel-economy.co.uk. Also, there's a brilliant App if anyone has an iPod Touch or iPhone, which can be downloaded from the iTunes App store. Brilliant for working out MPG, and it's called 'Road Trip Lite'. In terms of my economy/mileage, I've just gone PAST the 400 mile mark, and I STILL haven't had the beep yet! So I've already beaten my personal best, I'm looking forward to seeing how much further it goes! Also, Jan, how much further do you drive once you've heard the beep? :D

I usually don't hear the beep; I pass a cheap gas station every mondaynight

after my weekly visit to the cinema, so I usually fill up then, just to be sure.

Today I DID cut it kind of close: the beep sounded at 604,5km, then the last bar

went into second gear at 626,9km. This was on my way to the gas station coming

from the cinema yet again. I finally filled up at 633,9km and brimmed it up with

36,14liters. According to my ScanGauge I had 7,4km range left, but the ScanGauge

doesnt take me filling up to the brim into account, so I probably had about 20km left :D

My economy this tank was 5,7l/100km, which is 17,54km/l or 49,55MPG (imperial),

not bad, considering I had more urban driving than usual and the cold wheather...

Did 250 miles at the weekend mainly motorway driving .Filled up before going and on return home. Had used just over 20 litres of fuel which works out as 56 mpg. Very pleased as I did virtually 70 mph all the way .Was very pleased with the aygo's performance and lack of noise at motorway speeds and would not think twice of doing another long journey in it.

Well... I managed to beat my 400 mile goal! Filled up at 422.9 miles (beeped at 404), equating to 53 MPG, my personal best and I'm very impressed with that - most driving was urban with just a few more longer runs than usual... this obviously helps economy, though I was doing 70 on the motorways! The RoadTrip Lite App is very useful if anyone has an iPod Touch or iPhone, as I've mentioned earlier. But yes, so far, my economy is improving every time, very impressed with Aygo :D

• 2 weeks later...
It's not always a good idea to let the fuel tank get too low. :nono:

Tank sediment can be sucked into the fuel system. :unsure:

Petrol could also be in short supply if fuel tankers can't beat the snow. :o

Tank sediment is much less of a problem with newer cars, mainly becuase they are new and the inside of the tank hasn't yet gone rusty and also becuase the tanks are generally now made of plastic and don't rust anyway!

Mine averages 54MPG, it went down to 47 recently but that was down to a faulty spark plug.

the inside of the tank hasn't yet gone rusty and also becuase the

tanks are generally now made of plastic and don't rust anyway!

Our tanks ARE made of plastic, but sediment isn't just rust,

all sorts of debris can get into your tank when refuelling...

the inside of the tank hasn't yet gone rusty and also becuase the

tanks are generally now made of plastic and don't rust anyway!

Our tanks ARE made of plastic, but sediment isn't just rust,

all sorts of debris can get into your tank when refuelling...

Like what?

And don't forget there's a fuel filter to take care of it anyway, running a tank to near empty just issn't the problem it used to be, cars used to have steel tanks and no fuel filter, I remember regularly cleaning rust residue from the float chambers of an old Triumph.......