Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Highest Mileage Per Tank Achieved - On The Beep - Petrol Only

Bigmo

Tank sediment is much less of a problem with newer cars, mainly becuase they are new and the inside of the tank hasn't yet gone rusty and also becuase the tanks are generally now made of plastic and don't rust anyway!

Years ago, I remember seeing some bright orange sludge oozing out of a

scrapped fuel tank that we up-ended. I don't know about modern tanks so

I'd rather not take the risk and I'll fuel up every 250 miles. That's also handy

if there's another fuel shortage.

I wonder what the tanks at our petrol stations are like..... :unsure:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigmo

• AygoYugo

• AYGOgummy

• Angryhatter

Tank sediment is much less of a problem with newer cars, mainly becuase they are new and the inside of the tank hasn't yet gone rusty and also becuase the tanks are generally now made of plastic and don't rust anyway!

Years ago, I remember seeing some bright orange sludge oozing out of a

scrapped fuel tank that we up-ended. I don't know about modern tanks so

I'd rather not take the risk and I'll fuel up every 250 miles. That's also handy

if there's another fuel shortage.

I wonder what the tanks at our petrol stations are like..... :unsure:

I have seen inside an old fuel storage tank when they removed one from an old petrol station by my home.

It wasn't pretty. The fact the place had been out of use for a few years prob didn't help, but the bottom of it was thick with rusty petrol sludge. Similar to the inside of an old metal tank in an older car.

Modern cars have either a full plastic tank, or plastic lined tanks, so sediment is a very unlike issue to encounter. The only way to get bad sediment would be if it leaks in through the filler cap or a hole in the tank.

all sorts of debris can get into your tank when refuelling...
Like what?

Sand, small leaves, about anything that can get airborn and is small enough to fit through the filler neck...

I've seen the fuel-pistol dropped on the ground on more than one occasion, picking up dirt from the ground that way too...

And don't forget there's a fuel filter to take care of it anyway

Our cars have two actually: one at the pickup inside the tank in front of the

fuel pump and one iside a hose that connects the hard fuel line to the injector rail.

So I agree with you that it's not that big of a deal to run the car near empty,

I actually run it untill the beep (or even the fast blink) a couple of times a year :D

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I managed over 400 miles on a tank today... not quite the 425 of last month, but I'm still pleased. At last, I'm regularly achieving over 50 MPG!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

A slight improvement with 45 mpg and I put this down to improved weather conditions.

Started refuelling after about 250 miles on the trip meter rather than running around with

a near empty tank.

I'm determined to get the magic 50 mpg - one day !

My Aygo seems to go from 2 bars to flashing in the space of about 10 miles at around the 300 mile point.

My Aygo seems to go from 2 bars to flashing in the space of about 10 miles at around the 300 mile point.

I agree.

The fuel tank bars are definately not equally spaced.

I agree.

The fuel tank bars are definately not equally spaced.

It is an odd one though as I can loose the second bar and get the beep in about 10/15 miles one tank, but have it last 30/40 miles the next.

And I don't notice a substantial change in driving style.

Just the usual commute to work.

It is an odd one though as I can loose the second bar and get the beep

in about 10/15 miles one tank, but have it last 30/40 miles the next.

That's why I zero the trip whenever I refuel and go for more petrol

after 250 - 300 miles.

I once had my second bar still lit after 200 miles, then the rest of the

bars just disappeared in next to no time.

I Zero off each time I fill up so I can get an accurate measure of distance for my MPG.

^^ Yeah I set mine back to zero as well, meaning more accurate/easier-to-get MPG reading. I also agree that the bars definitely don't have the same spacing - my worst bar is normally second from the top. Normally get around 190 from the top bar.

It is an odd one though as I can loose the second bar and get the beep

in about 10/15 miles one tank, but have it last 30/40 miles the next.

That's why I zero the trip whenever I refuel and go for more petrol

after 250 - 300 miles.

I once had my second bar still lit after 200 miles, then the rest of the

bars just disappeared in next to no time.

My problem is that I use the car so rarely(4600 miles in 18 months) that I often forget to even look at the odometer. This has meant a fill up of over 32lt on a number of occasions, which is cutting it a little too close.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to get up to 468.5miles the other week, that was with the fuel staying steady at the top of the top and driving like a granny...

• 3 months later...

Yep yep .. new record for me !! 496 miles before 'beep beep' ... :drunk:

Wow thats's about 100 miles more than I ever manage, well done. I've had an average 55 mpg measured over 10,000 miles though, so still quite happy :toast:

• 4 weeks later...

Yep yep .. new record for me !! 496 miles before 'beep beep' ... :drunk:

Well in my 200kg heavier Yaris I can get this

mpg.jpg

Which shows that the Aygo is overgeared and needs the diesel engine. I'm sure it could do 80mpg then in standard driving.

As a note, the most I got out of my 67bhp Aygo in 25000 miles was 61mpg. After 2000 miles in my Superchipped Yaris with 112bhp my best is 73mpg over 300 miles. And it's a lot faster.

Stick my engine in the Aygo and you would have a cracking car. Range would be about 650 miles.

Andy

^ I also made this point in my Aygo review. The economic engine is counter-productive because it has so little torque that attempting to tackle a hill requires high revs and therefore hammers the fuel consumption, I get less miles from my Aygo than from the 1.3 Yaris I previously had.

On another thread essextoura is asking whether he can do 436 miles on a tankful in his aygo... I've put an answer on there for him but looks from this thread that he should do it easily!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links