Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport Clutch Problem And Question

rallyfan1986

Hi All,

I hope you can help me...

Ever since I bought my facelift Tsport the clutch has smelt like burning when reversing, and moving slowly when sat in traffic (not over revving when setting off). And also smells when going flat out up a hill.

It doesn't appear to be slipping.

The bit point on the clutch seems quite high and comes in very sharply.

Is this a sign that I need a new clutch? I use my car for work everyday, so i would rather change it now if it is on its way out, rather than wait for it to fail completely.

Many thanks

Probably would be best to get it changed now and go for a good upgrade or even a different brand clutch like exedy or aisin. The standard clutch is quite poor, you can grab an exedy standard oem replacement for around 80-90 quid.

This is a CTS characteristic its quite easy to make the clutch smell. Its not a very forgiving car, as Farhan says the std clutch isn't the best either. Chances are its on its way out, when we bought ours it needed a new clutch and it had only done 23k.

The slipping should come on gradually, however you do have other symptoms so its probably on its way out..

Cheers for the replies.

So looks like I will need to spend a bit of money on the clutch.

Is the exedy clutch the one to go for? I dont need any high performance clutches, as all my driving is on the road,I just need one thats reliable!

Where can I buy an exedy clutch from? I looked on fensport.co.uk, but they were asking ££££ for a clutch kit.

If its not slipping, is it not worth running it into the ground? although you will probably need to resurface the flywheel after you have lol or buy a new one like these lads do.

Strange that you have a burning smell going up hills, I only get it when ive over reved the engine on the bite point. Its almost like the clutch isnt fully disengaged, maybe it just needs an adjustment which is cheaper than a new clutch. But if its smelling all the time as you say, thats not good as its the friction material thats burning away.

Stick it in 6th whens stationary and slowly release the clutch, if it is slipping badly the car wont stall (apparently).

There are a few exedys i have the stage 1 which is more expensive and has very light pedal action. However you can get the standard replacement for like 80 quid from euro car parts. Its equivalent to standard but made well better!!

I got the TRD cover and disc to mate to my C-ONE flywheel, good combo, light but telling pedal and she has a much better response now thru the rev range......

I got the TRD cover and disc to mate to my C-ONE flywheel, good combo, light but telling pedal and she has a much better response now thru the rev range......

how much did that cost if you dont mind me asking?

isince i got my T SPort i replaced the Master Cylinder on the clutch, and also the clutch itself. Replaced with a Blueprint part costing about £90 for the kit...working very well still after many months no burning smell...

but as others may have said, you can feel it getting a bit rougher after some heavy hardcore temperature intensive shifting!

I read the blueprint clutches were a good one to go for.

I think im going to leave it until it begins to slip, then look into getting a decent fly wheel fitted at the same time - seems to be the most cost effective way of doing things.

I would still like to know why I get the burning smell when reversing, setting off and flooring it up hills! Ah well, I can just open the window and let the smell out!

Cheers for your help and advice!

i had that problem when my clutch was all messed up along with my flywheel! i has a bend in it from spirited driving and when i used to give it welly i could smell a burning clutch type of smell. And no i didnt keep my foot down on the clutch haha lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links