Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

So Tell Me All About The 1.0 Yaris.

Uncle Bob

Well my daughter has started driving lessons and although I've told her there is no guarantee of a car if she passes, i will be treating her :) .

As i have Toyota running through my veins, its going to have to be a Yaris, the crash test back when it was first launched, run circles around all the competition, so i fell its still a safe car today.

My budget is for a 1.0 T2 or T3 around the 2004 facelift with the teardrop headlamps , I'm hoping you guys can give me a long list of plus points for buy this model, although i can handle some negative comments as well :) .... thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Arr one last question, if i was looking at the Semi-automatic is it a smooth or jerky gear change ?.

Don't get an auto box, very uncool for someone young in my opinion. I have no experience with the Phase 2 model, but the Phase 1 that I have is pretty good, no complaints what-so-ever: Exceptional fuel economy (if im careful with the right foot i'll easy get 55MPG in the town), Insurance group 2 means that it shouldn't be too much for a young girl to insure, although being a guy mines is silly expensive :lol:. Its no racing car, but its fairly nippy for a 1.0l, and correct me if im wrong but I think its the most powerful standard one litre unit around! :) Great first car, and its well established so theres a large online community devoted to it and plenty support if you get in trouble! :P

I'd skip the lower spec trim's though personally, go for a SR if you can, they look pretty sweet! Although you're best talking to Raeman about that level of trim.

Hope that helps, and good luck! ;)

Don't get an auto box, very uncool for someone young in my opinion. I have no experience with the Phase 2 model, but the Phase 1 that I have is pretty good, no complaints what-so-ever: Exceptional fuel economy (if im careful with the right foot i'll easy get 55MPG in the town), Insurance group 2 means that it shouldn't be too much for a young girl to insure, although being a guy mines is silly expensive :lol:. Its no racing car, but its fairly nippy for a 1.0l, and correct me if im wrong but I think its the most powerful standard one litre unit around! :) Great first car, and its well established so theres a large online community devoted to it and plenty support if you get in trouble! :P

I'd skip the lower spec trim's though personally, go for a SR if you can, they look pretty sweet! Although you're best talking to Raeman about that level of trim.

Hope that helps, and good luck! ;)

Many thanks for your input, all sounds positive, although i believe the SR is only a 1.3 :( , so best i stick with 1.0 :)

...although i believe the SR is only a 1.3 :( , so best i stick with 1.0 :)

Whoops! :oops:

Yeh, in that case then go for a T Spirit if you can spare a little extra dosh - you'll appreciate the higher level of spec and it comes with a fully colour coded exterior (as far as I know) which does make a difference to its image, plus alloy wheels! ;) Also forgot to mention very good residual values - for the money of mine I could have probably got a much newer ford or citroen, but the Yaris is a little different, obvious choice for me! :D

Hope it all goes well and I wish your daughter good luck with her test! :)

Hi Uncle Bob....

I really rate the Yaris, it's a brilliant little thing, easy to park, easy to drive, easy on the wallet and sings nicely when that little vvt-i unit spins up. :D

The rear bench can be slid forward for more boot space and it can easy accomodate 4 large adults in comfort. I have no problems with head & leg room in mine and i'm 6ft2".

Also there's the absence of the cam belt, the Yaris uses chains like the Micra's which i think all cars should have personally. ;)

Cheap on tax, ins and servicing can be done yourself when needs. They are quite simple to work on for basic servicing things (oil, plugs ect..)

All in all a damn good small car, have a good look around a grab a guddun!! ;)

Good luck :thumbsup:

I have a 1 litre, and learnt to drive in it. Awesome car :) had it for 2 years now and still no complaints... apart from lack of poowwwaaaazzz!! It is a really easy and simple car to learn to drive in, did my first test in instructors car (ford fucus) and failed miserably! then second test i chose to do in my car, and passed with flying colours! Tidy looking car, reliable as <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> (WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS!!! DONT GET ME STARTED ON THIS SWEAR FILTER... GOT BANNED FOR IT LAST TIME!!!..Y.CUK ftw hahahahahaa). As said boot space can be adjusted by moving back seats forwards, and then flipping them up. The model i have is a 1 litre GS and it does the job just fine. oh and ...daughter? learning to drive.. must be around 17/18... Number plz!!! ;) haha

I have a 1 litre, and learnt to drive in it. Awesome car :) had it for 2 years now and still no complaints... apart from lack of poowwwaaaazzz!! It is a really easy and simple car to learn to drive in, did my first test in instructors car (ford fucus) and failed miserably! then second test i chose to do in my car, and passed with flying colours! Tidy looking car, reliable as <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> (WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS!!! DONT GET ME STARTED ON THIS SWEAR FILTER... GOT BANNED FOR IT LAST TIME!!!..Y.CUK ftw hahahahahaa). As said boot space can be adjusted by moving back seats forwards, and then flipping them up. The model i have is a 1 litre GS and it does the job just fine. oh and ...daughter? learning to drive.. must be around 17/18... Number plz!!! ;) haha

lol @rhys!!

Very nice first car, basic spec is quite basic though!

PS Raeman the VVTI unit is for fuel economy and doesnt effect performance what so ever! ;)

Well my daughter has started driving lessons and although I've told her there is no guarantee of a car if she passes, i will be treating her :) .

As i have Toyota running through my veins, its going to have to be a Yaris, the crash test back when it was first launched, run circles around all the competition, so i fell its still a safe car today.

My budget is for a 1.0 T2 or T3 around the 2004 facelift with the teardrop headlamps , I'm hoping you guys can give me a long list of plus points for buy this model, although i can handle some negative comments as well :) .... thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Arr one last question, if i was looking at the Semi-automatic is it a smooth or jerky gear change ?.

Hello Bob,

Next weeks Auto Express (published 03 June) has a feature about buying a used Yaris in it. http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...c=92592&hl=

They photographed my Yaris earlier this year in the studio at Beaulieu Motor Museum for the article and I have been waiting patiently for its publication.

You wont miss it coz it was very bright and shiney for the photoshoot. B)

My previous blue T3 Yaris was Semi-Auto (MMT) and I never had any problems with it ............smooth as silk..................but some on here have found otherwise with the MMT box

Cheers guys thats a great response back :) , of all the trivial details about buy a Yaris i have to say i love that gold colour fitted on the early cars, sadly they are now getting on a bit .

Although I'm not after the pre facelift model i've noticed may on the roads local to me, and its seems the headlights have a yellow tone to them as the plastic lence discolours from the sun :( and many many of them seem to suffer parking digs in the lower back bumper/valance area.

I subscribe to Auto Express so will have a good read of it next Wednesday, and look at you car RY54 :) . So clearly the Yaris has no major common problems, are there any less common things to look out for ?

...and its seems the headlights have a yellow tone to them as the plastic lence discolours from the sun :(

Yeh, i've got that unfortunately, and its now quite noticable from the front since I fitted some new very shiney alloys, but its not really something to worry about. I might invest in some new lense covers to perk it up a bit! ;)

These "digs" you're talking about are really just driver faults, its pretty hard to do unless you are cutting it very close to a wall in a multi-story with those stupid kerbs or something like that. 9/10 its not a problem and parking is super easy because of the great visability and turning circle.

Nothing you really need to look out for, just make sure you do all the basic checks when you are buying the car. Common sense will prevail! ;) Theres enough of them around for you to choose so do have a good look around for one that stands out a little bit, but I stand by my decision to avoid the lower spec levels if you can.

...and its seems the headlights have a yellow tone to them as the plastic lence discolours from the sun :(

Yeh, i've got that unfortunately, and its now quite noticable from the front since I fitted some new very shiney alloys, but its not really something to worry about. I might invest in some new lense covers to perk it up a bit! ;)

These "digs" you're talking about are really just driver faults, its pretty hard to do unless you are cutting it very close to a wall in a multi-story with those stupid kerbs or something like that. 9/10 its not a problem and parking is super easy because of the great visability and turning circle.

Nothing you really need to look out for, just make sure you do all the basic checks when you are buying the car. Common sense will prevail! ;) Theres enough of them around for you to choose so do have a good look around for one that stands out a little bit, but I stand by my decision to avoid the lower spec levels if you can.

Many thanks :)

lol @rhys!!

Very nice first car, basic spec is quite basic though!

PS Raeman the VVTI unit is for fuel economy and doesnt effect performance what so ever! ;)

I never said it did effect performance!! Just the noise it makes is nice that's all :D

Which of the Yaris models are built by the French or Japanese ?

Which of the Yaris models are built by the French or Japanese ?

1999 = Japanese

Everything else inc 2nd Gen = French

Thats as far as I know anyways....correct me if I be wrong! :P

Just done some detective work and can now report all 1.0 Yaris models come from Japan, its the 1.3 that can be from either country, this is how it breaks down.....

Japanese 1.3, chassis number/letters start with JT, they also have a model code of NCP10 and and engine code 2NZ-FE.

French 1.3, chassis number/letters start with VNK and have a model code of SCP12 and engine code of 2SZ-FE :)

I think all the diesel Yaris' are made in Japan too (My one says it is and is a 53-plate).

Supposedly the new Yaris is French 'tho...

My sr is a yr 2000 on a W plate. The Engine code on mine is 2NZ-FE, just had a look in the owners book.

Hydraulic steering on mine aswell. Think the Frenchie ones are electric...(Correct me if i'm wrong on this) :D

I thought all Yaris' had electric PAS! I know mine does... (Irritating servo whine at full lock? Check!)

Maybe it is just the later ones?

Must be the later ones that have electric ps then 2000> maybe? or all the French ones?? :huh:

Mine definately has hydraulic ps though, only last week i checked the fluid levels. ;)

Cheers guys thats a great response back :) , of all the trivial details about buy a Yaris i have to say i love that gold colour fitted on the early cars, sadly they are now getting on a bit .

Although I'm not after the pre facelift model i've noticed may on the roads local to me, and its seems the headlights have a yellow tone to them as the plastic lence discolours from the sun :( and many many of them seem to suffer parking digs in the lower back bumper/valance area.

I subscribe to Auto Express so will have a good read of it next Wednesday, and look at you car RY54 :) . So clearly the Yaris has no major common problems, are there any less common things to look out for ?

I had a 2004 1.0 T3 as my 2nd car and it was absolutely fine for me to begin with - I felt safe in it (compared to the fiesta I had), I still love the digital speedo on my Blue now.

Mine has got a ding on the strip below the back bumper where I reversed it into a solid old Merc but hey no-one is perfect.

They can rattle and squeak a bit - once again this is nothing out of the norm. Tyre wear is fine, mine did 40k on it before I got new ones and even then the treads were still legal. They do have thick rear corner panels so when reversing it can be a little bit tricky as you have to rely more on the mirrors. It's not impossible tho, it's just something you become accustomed too.

I must say that I did soon feel like I grew out of the 1.0L as I did and still do a lot of Motorway and Dual Carriageway driving and it did need a lot of push - the engine noise was quite loud but not so much that you had to have the radio up really loudly to cover it. They also sound rather strange when it's raining or there is standing water on the road. It's as if there isn't enough sound proofing at the back and you can hear the water on the road. There aren't any leaks at all it's just rather odd.

I would recommend the 1.0L as a start but just bear in mind that 1.3 would perhaps last her longer rather then needing to swap a bit further down the line.

I had a 2004 1.0 T3 as my 2nd car and it was absolutely fine for me to begin with - I felt safe in it (compared to the fiesta I had), I still love the digital speedo on my Blue now.

Mine has got a ding on the strip below the back bumper where I reversed it into a solid old Merc but hey no-one is perfect.

They can rattle and squeak a bit - once again this is nothing out of the norm. Tyre wear is fine, mine did 40k on it before I got new ones and even then the treads were still legal. They do have thick rear corner panels so when reversing it can be a little bit tricky as you have to rely more on the mirrors. It's not impossible tho, it's just something you become accustomed too.

I must say that I did soon feel like I grew out of the 1.0L as I did and still do a lot of Motorway and Dual Carriageway driving and it did need a lot of push - the engine noise was quite loud but not so much that you had to have the radio up really loudly to cover it. They also sound rather strange when it's raining or there is standing water on the road. It's as if there isn't enough sound proofing at the back and you can hear the water on the road. There aren't any leaks at all it's just rather odd.

I would recommend the 1.0L as a start but just bear in mind that 1.3 would perhaps last her longer rather then needing to swap a bit further down the line.

Many thanks Blue84 :thumbsup:

Hye im 18, passed my test in January and took it in my yaris as i hated the diesel 206 i was using and it really is the best first car out there (if you can afford it).

All my friends have fiats or clios and the amount of times theyve had to go to the garage is unbelieveable. Mines on a y reg and still hasnt had any problems.

Easy car to drive, everytime my boyfriend drives it all he says is that its the easiest car ever to drive.

As for bumps and dents, i wouldnt say that its a "yaris thing", actually as the back of hte car is flat you know that youve always got that little extra space when reversing etc.

Mines the phase 1 and still great but my mums is the facelift on an 05 plate and tbh, apart from being colour coded and having a different digital display and few extra luxuries, theres not much difference between the cars.

Anyway waffling on but hope ive helped :)

...apart from being colour coded...

You know you get Phase 1 colour coded body work right? Standard on the GLS and CDX ;)

...apart from being colour coded...

You know you get Phase 1 colour coded body work right? Standard on the GLS and CDX ;)

I think she was just saying the differences :D

Get her a t sport she will love you forever! :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links