Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential Owner Questions!

NiknakSi

Just been to Toyota in Reading and had a pleasant chat with a sales guy (nice contrast to Ford yesterday). I'm really taken with the design of the iQ and very impressed with the quality and the space inside. Didn't bother driving one since they only had an auto so I've got that pleasure (hopefully) to look forward to.

In the meantime before my test drive on Saturday, my brain's working overdrive. In the glossy brochure it mentions a tonneau cover but it's not mentioned or pictured (that I can see). Can anyone tell me more?

Are there any must have extras, e.g. the glove bag or mats? I'm interested in the iQ2 spec since it seems best value, but what's the real world performance like? 14.7 to 60 sounds worryingly slow especially with long gearing. My existing runabout is a nice big comfy Volvo estate which is worth about 20p or £2k to the govt! I'm not overly bothered about performance since my other car is a Caterham, but it would be nice if the iQ is pokey enough for normal town driving and for example, sprinting along a motorway slipway to reach 70 before joining with lane one.

Also with the smart entry, can anyone explain the touching of the handles business? What's the range of the key card like - do you have to touch it to activate the unlocking or does it unlock within a certain distance?

Look forward to your thoughts and opinions :)

Cheers,

..Simon

Just been to Toyota in Reading and had a pleasant chat with a sales guy (nice contrast to Ford yesterday). I'm really taken with the design of the iQ and very impressed with the quality and the space inside. Didn't bother driving one since they only had an auto so I've got that pleasure (hopefully) to look forward to.

In the meantime before my test drive on Saturday, my brain's working overdrive. In the glossy brochure it mentions a tonneau cover but it's not mentioned or pictured (that I can see). Can anyone tell me more?

Are there any must have extras, e.g. the glove bag or mats? I'm interested in the iQ2 spec since it seems best value, but what's the real world performance like? 14.7 to 60 sounds worryingly slow especially with long gearing. My existing runabout is a nice big comfy Volvo estate which is worth about 20p or £2k to the govt! I'm not overly bothered about performance since my other car is a Caterham, but it would be nice if the iQ is pokey enough for normal town driving and for example, sprinting along a motorway slipway to reach 70 before joining with lane one.

Also with the smart entry, can anyone explain the touching of the handles business? What's the range of the key card like - do you have to touch it to activate the unlocking or does it unlock within a certain distance?

Cheers,

..Simon

Here is a picture of the tonneau in position,although I have not actually used it yet.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/johnan1383/003.jpg

I am sure others will say, and I agree, if you are worried about the performance then wait for the iQ3, coming soon.(see posts in this forum)

mats are a must, the bag made a noise so I live without it and the keyless system is a joy, love it!Also operating with no drama are the automatic wipers and climate control and I presume the auto lights but have not needed them yet.

If you need more info and others dont fill you in in more detail please ask again, must dash off just now!

Cheers,

..Simon

Dont worry about performance of the IQ it goes well and is very nippy around town and can hold its own on the motorways QA must have is the mats and a glove box bag. Got that free as Toyota are throwing it in with the car on the first batch maybe you could quiz the dealer on this one.

Gone for the IQ base model as it has all that I wanted couldnt justify paying £1000 more for the IQ2 but thats down to chose

Thanks guys, guess that just leaves the smart entry.

Do most people tend to keep the rear seats folded flat? I can see the appeal of the tonneau in that situation, almost as good as a parcel shelf for hiding the boot apart from the gaping hole between the front seats!

Re performance, if that is what you are after, forget it, this is not the car for you. It feels nippy, but the fact is you have to adjust your driving style to suit the car. I can only describe it as a unique drive, it demands 5th at 30mph and does feel as though it will stall, but it doesn't. The cover is to help hide what is in the rear when the rear seats are down, our car is used purely as a two seater though it has carried three six footers on one occasion. I feel it is foolish to leave anything of value in a car in todays age, we do not bother with the cover, it could be viewed by 'billy burglar' that you have something to hide. Do not go by the mpg figures, in the real world you are looking at about 50-55mpg. We went for the base spec thinking the wheels on the IQ2 are a bit too bling and the extra's on the IQ2 are more to go wrong. Each to their own. We have yet to see if the 1.3 version will be zero rated road tax. Be warned, the seats are not as comfy as those in a Volvo! I agree, mats are a must, we got the 'glove gompartment bag' and a set of mats thrown in on our deal. The bag is of little use, but the wife likes it. We had parking sensors fitted as the wife is bound to bang it. The noise is a pain, but she has not banged it yet. Money well spent!

Cheers,

This may help.

Just to recap, I had Smart cars for 10years but now got the IQ2 Automatic with all the packs and leather. I mainly drive it around London.

The other car we normaly take to go abroad is an Audi S5 in a very sluty red but I decided to take the IQ this time for a spin all the way down near Perigueux in France to see what it was like on a long journey . Thats about 800miles one way.

I left London very early on to get to the tunnel. It rained and rained all the way.

The IQ was perfect on the road . Very happy doing 80miles per hour (or more) I. No problem overtaking those crazy spanish lorries. You just do not get blown away on the other side of the motoway. The car felt very safe. More like the Audi than the Smart car.

If you are going to drive the car in town, the o to 60 is NOT a problem at all. It is a bit slow at first but when it goes, it goes. The turning point is just brilliant.to annoy black cabs. On the motoway, You will be pleasantely surprised, I found it excellent. However, it is not agile enough on small country roads. The car feels a bit heavy but, with all those airbags, if you hit a goat, you will be OK

You must get the Smart Entry. Its an order.

To close the car, you just squeeze the door. Nothing to do to open the car. The range is about 5 yards.

The tonneau cover is useless and frankly to much of a pain in the ***. Put it in the attic and forget about it. Remember to have sun glasses all the time in the car as the inside light of the car could blind you.

The 'glove gompartment bag' and a set of mats are a must but frankly, they should be free.

good luck

..Simon

TOP TIP: If you want to see your salesman squirm, ask him to demonstrate how 4 adults can easily fit in the iQ as the advert suugests! :lol:

Not sure how good everyone's haggling skills are, but did anybody get any money off?

I'm getting £100 off a base IQ in black with leather and iStyle (chrome pack).

List: £10,800

After Scrappage: £8,800

After discount: £8,700

Quite a good deal I think :)

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it :)

I asked about pricing and the sales guy wouldn't budge. Hopefully I will be able to get the mats and glove bag thrown in, I'd be happy with that to be honest. I suspect there would be more room for negotiation if I wasn't making use of the scrappage scheme since Toyotas contribution to that is going to be eating into their profit margin.

Another question: do the rear headrests fit into the cubby hole under the rear seats?

Also, servicing: the brochure states a minor service at 10k or one year and a major service at 20k or two years. Does anyone know what each service involves and a rough cost?

I'm getting £100 off a base IQ in black with leather and iStyle (chrome pack).

List: £10,800

After Scrappage: £8,800

After discount: £8,700

Quite a good deal I think :)

You can get quite a bit off from www.drivethedeal.com. I'm looking at the iq2 auto with urban pack and that's going for 11732.77, a discount of 477.23 (with metallic paint).

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it :)

I asked about pricing and the sales guy wouldn't budge. Hopefully I will be able to get the mats and glove bag thrown in, I'd be happy with that to be honest. I suspect there would be more room for negotiation if I wasn't making use of the scrappage scheme since Toyotas contribution to that is going to be eating into their profit margin.

Another question: do the rear headrests fit into the cubby hole under the rear seats?

Also, servicing: the brochure states a minor service at 10k or one year and a major service at 20k or two years. Does anyone know what each service involves and a rough cost?

One will definately fit there, as we have one stored there, maybe two will fit not sure. But since I have no kids without legs, we're never more than 3 in the car, so only need one headrest.

And as many others have said, get the keyless thingy, it's brilliant. :)

It might not happen at all at this rate! I'm trying to make use of the scrappage scheme but I've read of a case where the govt. didn't pay their half because the vehicle was an import (imported in '92, UK registered thereafter). My Volvo was registered to a dealer in Sweden in '96 and then in the UK from '97. So far DVLA don't think it's a problem but nobody at the govt. seems to work on the weekends to confirm!

Typical govt. confusion :(