Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles Per Gallon? 37 For The T Sport. How To Improve?

bosco

Im only getting only about 37 miles per gallon on my yaris T sport phase 1. Can I improve on this and how. I drive it normally and dont put my foot down and its running with a kn panel filter/megan manifold/sport cat from envy/blizt exhaust. What if any tuning is needed. Last service about 4000 miles ago.

Any suggestions out there.

Please comment.

Am forgetting the turbo as cost to much!!!! :(

Light on the right foot and turn the engine off in traffic if you're waiting there for longer than a few minutes! ;)

Apart from that, change you're oil to a more premium brand and use premium grade fuel. Might want to check you're tyre pressures aswell, if they're underinflated that'll damage your fuel consumption.

Hope that helps, thats all I can think of shy of ripping things out the car! :lol:

My CTS does 32 so 37 in a YTS isnt bad going, basic tips include Air Con off and keep your windows shut.

37?? That's crazy YGS! How on earth do you manage that? :o

As above how do you manage that ??

I only get 32 :(

i dont know, i do drive fairly heavy footed too! got her up to 39 today though :) woop woop its all about the 1 litre!

I have a 1.5L T Sport and I manage above 40 mpg every time, tops out at about 45 though.

But I do try to be conservative, but occasionally I do give it a good thrashing in the countryside!

My 1.0 will easy manage 50, did manage to hit 62 at one point, but I only have proof of 60.1! :L

Not just starting the car and rolling it down a hill by the way, that was about half way through a trip back from Tesco's on a B road - must have been feeling tight....:P

(Mate took the picture, for all you safety concious folk out there ;))

Photo0143.jpg

My 1.0 will easy manage 50, did manage to hit 62 at one point, but I only have proof of 60.1! :L

Not just starting the car and rolling it down a hill by the way, that was about half way through a trip back from Tesco's on a B road - must have been feeling tight....:P

(Mate took the picture, for all you safety concious folk out there ;))

Photo0143.jpg

Thats mighty impressive. Well done!!

Other than a light right foot and properly inflated tyres there's not much else can be done. Well, nothing that'll make a huge difference anyway. (google aerocivic.com.....)

There's more to the light right foot too. There's a feature in modern cars called Deceleration Fuel Cut Off or DFCO and it comes on when you come off the throttle. Basically it kills the signal to the injectors and you use no fuel. So if you are driving along and see a red light or t-junction up ahead, you need to stay in gear but come off the throttle. you will then enter DFCO and start to slow down. With practice you will know when to lift off the throttle and not have to apply it to keep going to the light or junction etc. It's just a fancier name for engine braking really!

Then there's tyre pressure. 32psi is a minimum. Go as high as you dare. If anyone has proof of traction being compromised at higher pressures then by all means show it. There's no real gains to be made above max sidewall pressure so it's not really worth it. But anything above 32 and sidewall max will massively improve tyre wear. They generally dont wear out in the middle as is generally said. I had a set of michelin energy savers on another car and they wore more in the middle but firestones and bridgestones didn't wear unevenly at all. Again, if you think grip is worse you'll have to prove it with cold hard figures and graphs from scientific studies. Have a look at this site for some info. Its a bit of a read but it shows that there is no real change in grip by going to higher pressures. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/ruling...sure/LTPW3.html

You could also install a belly pan under your engine if you havent already got one. Those alloy racing ones would doo well but if it's saving money you're after, you'll have to make it yourself!

And if you are a gentle driver you could bpartially block up your grille. This will warm up your engine quicker and if you keep the speed down, won't over heat. Keep an eye on the temps if you do this. By the way it's only really during the winter that i'd do this. At least if you have to rush somewhere you can turn up the heating to dump heat from the engine.

Best of luck with the mpg!

ollie

ps: look at cleanmpg.com, hypermiling.com and ecomodder.com for more info.

I get 44.1 mpg on the computer of my 1.3 CDX

Over the past few weeks I have been logging my mileage and fuel and it works out at 44,8 mpg.

80% of the driving is 6 mile round trip along Oxford ring rd

the rest is stop start town driving

I did calculate the fuel usage when we went to Brighton (M40, 25 ,23) 65- 75mph, and worked out at 48mpg....with AC ON 60% of the time

So pretty pleased.

How the heck a 1 litre does 39 mpg I do not know..you must be very very heavy footed or its in dire need of a service

Im only getting only about 37 miles per gallon on my yaris T sport phase 1. Can I improve on this and how. I drive it normally and dont put my foot down and its running with a kn panel filter/megan manifold/sport cat from envy/blizt exhaust. What if any tuning is needed. Last service about 4000 miles ago.

Any suggestions out there.

Please comment.

Am forgetting the turbo as cost to much!!!! :(

37 is pretty good as your exhaust will affect the fuel consumption! ;)

I don't think that's too bad. Mine is standard, and I get anything between 37 and 42ish depending on who's been driving, how long since last service, what fuel I have in, what sort of driving I've been doing etc.

If you want high milage, you can't beat the Yaris D4D :lol:

I'm averaging 550-600 miles to a tank at the moment and this is mostly short trips through traffic and side roads. I almost did 700 miles once when I was carting people to and from the airport all week!

It's all about the short-shifting and idle-rolling, although I've been told I should thrash it now and then because apparently driving on low revs all the time will clog up the injectors with carbon crap :(

For the tyres 'tho, I run at 40f/35b and you do notice that it rolls a bit better, but as the tread wears down you will notice it will slide a LOT more readily than at lower pressures, esp. when the road is wet, so you have to be a lot more careful, esp. on fast twisty country roads, when it is raining.

Because of that, if you do this you really shouldn't wait for the tread to wear to 1.6mm before you change them, otherwise next time there is a decent rain storm you're risking getting overly intimate with a lamp post or ditch :eek:

High tyre pressures is the poor-man's low friction tyre :lol: ;)

[quote name='Cyker' date='Jun 1 2009, 12:34 PM' post='898471

LoL! Sure is. But my other car came with michelin energy tyres and they wore too much on the shoulders, even the sidewalls got it from normal cornering. But then i raised the pressure to stop the tyre roling over onto the sidewalls and to decrease rolling resistance but they wore more in the centre then! The mpg wasn't great either. Well, 50 odd mpg but they said it could do 64 so i was dissapointed there. It's now on firestone tz200 and the pressure is at 45 psi and seem to be wearing evenly. I tried 50 psi but i ***** myself recently after braking over a level crossing. The wheels bounced over the rails and it was like being on ice. Grip came back when the wheels stopped bouncing, which was only a split second but i covered a metre or so more than i wanted to, if you catch my drift..... So while it may be true that grip is not compromised at higher pressures, it is compromised when the tyre is not on the ground at the time!

Talking about low friction tyres, what makes and models should i look out for? My yaris has firestone fuel savers on it but i've heard that they have quite a high rolling resistance. Now, i'm doing quite well on them (88 mpg per tank) but being mpg minded i always want more.

Cyker, you mentioned thrashing it now and then. I agree completely. When i first got my d4d yaris, i just drove it gently for a few months and got great mileage doing so. But one day i was in a hurry and floored it up a hill. The cars behind me were lost in a cloud of soot and smoke for about 5 or 6 seconds. So now i give it a lash up the same hill once per trip and only get a tiny amount of smoke. Mpg has not suffered either, even now that i have raised my speed by 5 kph or so. The warmer weather is partly responsible too though.

buy an aygo

Too small for my needs. And i don't think it comes in a diesel.

buy an aygo

Too small for my needs. And i don't think it comes in a diesel.

Citreon C1 1.4D then, same Toyota engine, same car essentially, just a different Badge! ;)

Citreon C1 1.4D then, same Toyota engine, same car essentially, just a different badge! ;)

Interesting you should mention that. Is there a haynes manual for that. There seems to be a distinct lack of anything on the 1.4D4D anywhere. Not that i'll be stripping my engine or anything but it would be nice to learn some more about it.

<snip>

The mpg wasn't great either. Well, 50 odd mpg but they said it could do 64 so i was dissapointed there. It's now on firestone tz200 and the pressure is at 45 psi and seem to be wearing evenly. I tried 50 psi but i ***** myself recently after braking over a level crossing. The wheels bounced over the rails and it was like being on ice. Grip came back when the wheels stopped bouncing, which was only a split second but i covered a metre or so more than i wanted to, if you catch my drift..... So while it may be true that grip is not compromised at higher pressures, it is compromised when the tyre is not on the ground at the time!

<snip>

Cyker, you mentioned thrashing it now and then. I agree completely. When i first got my d4d yaris, i just drove it gently for a few months and got great mileage doing so. But one day i was in a hurry and floored it up a hill. The cars behind me were lost in a cloud of soot and smoke for about 5 or 6 seconds. So now i give it a lash up the same hill once per trip and only get a tiny amount of smoke. Mpg has not suffered either, even now that i have raised my speed by 5 kph or so. The warmer weather is partly responsible too though.

Ha! Yeah, I had a similar experience braking and turning coming up to abig roundabout... then I hit a cattle grid!! Smegging hell that was scary! :eek::lol:

That sort of thing is why it's not recommended to inflate your tyres too high :)

I have to say, inflating the tyres will not boost mpg by a massive amount. There is a maximum mpg you can get out of a given tyre; The lower the PSI the further you will get from that ideal, but higher PSI gets into diminishing returns territory which is why I tend to go for 40/35 (This is the recommended pressures for a heavily loaded Yaris :))

Thanks for the confirmation about whether to give it a good blast now and then; I think I got a bit too enthusiastic trying that out this week (Have used up 5 litres in only 50 miles! Normally I can do ~75!! :eek:), but I have noticed the engine seems a bit more peppy again now :)

I think I will drive in my miserly grandmother mode during the week (Put put put), and then drive it like a petrol car on the weekends (BRRRRRRRRR!) :lol:

They should have done a Yaris T-Sport with a 2.0L D4D like in the Corolla. That would have been epic :lol:

re. the Aygo, don't bother with the D4D Aygo; The 1L petrol engine suits it a LOT more than the diesel. Its mpg is only slightly lower, but is offset by petrol being cheaper. The D4D's extra weight hurts the super-light Aygo much more than it does in the Yaris. Power-wise, the 1.0L is strong enough to shift that super-light Aygo - The extra torque in the D4D isn't really needed and it's really extra money for very little gain.

The Yaris, being heavier, benefits from having the extra pull, and the best engine (IMHO!) is deffo the D4D with the 1.3/1.33 a very close second. I personally wouldn't recommend the 1.0 unless upfront cost was a big problem, and/or the car would very rarely be driven on country roads/motorways.

i was actually being sarcastic about the aygo :lol:

imo the t sports mpg is fine

I get about 39-42 in my school car.. a 1L model..

and around the mid to upper 30's in my own 1.3L but that is an automatic!!!

I am thinking about a Fabia Greenline for the school one.. They are reconed to do mid 60's in town, low 80's on th m-way.. Deisel though so bit dearer fuel but 35 notes tax! My 1.l is now £150 anually!!!! daylight effin' robbery for such a small clean car! :angry:

Citreon C1 1.4D then, same Toyota engine, same car essentially, just a different badge! ;)

Interesting you should mention that. Is there a haynes manual for that. There seems to be a distinct lack of anything on the 1.4D4D anywhere. Not that i'll be stripping my engine or anything but it would be nice to learn some more about it.

There is a diesel Aygo, Some of the forum members have seen 90+ MPG by hook or by crook. I get 44.5 as standard from my 08'1.3SR Yaris & up to 50 on a long run if im gentle, i used to get 52.5 day to Day from my Petrol Aygo and i did once see 61 but it was very boring!

Training yourself to lift off in advance off situations where you know you are going to decelerate, and down hills etc, definatly makes a big difference though.

What pennies you may save in over inflating your tyres is wiped out when you have to buy new ones prematurely due to excessive wear, plus any damage repair and insurance excess when you go flying off the road!