Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Fit Leather Alcantara Seats

adilmon

Leading on from this thread where I bought the leather alcantara seat covers

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92638

and this website, showing the principals of using hog rings

http://www.mrmikes.com/ptinstallhogrings.htm

I thought I'd finally try an get my hands on some hog rings. Just so happens the nearest coach trimmers to me was a company called O'rourke ( http://www.coachtrimmers.com ) who also trimmed the Aygo Crazy and whos landlord was involved in carrying out the Aygo crazy commisioning

_d7rcarphoto28482325.jpg_wghcarphoto28482925.jpg_1a1carphoto28483525.jpg

Anyway, I called them up hoping to buy some hog rings and instead was invited down to help myself to the hog rings and tools over the weekend (good karma). Here's how I got on...

So, I'd never fitted seats properly before, so I thought I'd start with the passenger seat. That way, if it took ages I still had the driver seat available and I rather practice on the passenger's side. WARNING if you've never done this before you'll need the patience of a saint, but it's better to take your time and do it right. It's just an awkward and fiddly job. Took me about 3-4 hours, but second seat only took about a third of the time

Here's the tools. Hog ring dispenser, hog ring pliers, a 10mm socket (for the Battery terminals and side airbags) and nibble pliers

f9jb5i.jpg

2ivyb5t.jpg

Remove the 4 star bolts holding the seat rails, disconnect the Battery, disconnect the air bag clips under the seat, remove the covers until you get to the rings and use the pliers to cut them off. You'll them see the metal bars embedded in the seats. You need 21 hog rings per seat. The black ring at the base of the headrest is a velcro strip, which I recommend you are very careful to avoid ripping off the foam and the first thing to line up when fitting the cover.

_zxwdsc00764.jpg_a5edsc00765.jpg_eokdsc00766.jpg_gaodsc00767.jpg_5rhdsc00768.jpg

You'll also have to remove the side air bags completely, by undoing 2 bolts

_knc1.jpg_gwz12.jpg_9aedsc00777.jpg_syvdsc00778.jpg

The new covers don't slide over the seat foam at all, so you have to turn the covers inside out and pull down as often as possible. The covers are a perfect fit, so if you leave any slack at the head rest you won't be able to do attach the hog rings in the correct locations or lower frame latches

_vvh0.jpg_h8c02.jpg_ukf03.jpg_n2b04.jpg

One down, one to go

244352o.jpg

A few pics, including the underseat sub

_ivu0.jpg_caw02.jpg_nxv03.jpg_x4u04.jpg_vix05.jpg

Job done :)

vcz0nc.jpg

30c6hcw.jpg

The new covers don't slide over the seat foam at all, so you have to turn the covers inside out and pull down as often as possible. The covers are a perfect fit, so if you leave any slack at the head rest you won't be able to do attach the hog rings in the correct locations or lower frame latches

I saw on an auto show a while back, it seems that if you put some transparent plastic bags over the foam, the covers will slide :)

saw on an auto show a while back, it seems that if you put some

transparent plastic bags over the foam, the covers will slide

I saw that too, on Wheeler Dealers on Discovery Channel.

But I think you'll end up with a "crispy" seat...

I saw on an auto show a while back, it seems that if you put some transparent plastic bags over the foam, the covers will slide :)

Yeah, I thought about that as well, but it was to stop any spillages soaking into the foam, which is not easy to clean up properly. I'd try to pull the plastic out afterwards to avoid further sliding and noise. Maybe use cling film?

Maybe cut some holes into the plastic, on the middle... then tear it out when you are almost done. Or 3-4 sticky tape lines, then pull them out along with the plastic.

No idea what's cling film :D

• 3 months later...

Nice one Adilmon.

I've still not fitted mine...I think I'll get a local firm to do it for me.

I've seen leather retrims done a few times on telly and they use a combination of polythene bags and spray glue over the seats. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links