Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis D4d Egr Valve

marco polo

what causes it to get sooty and clogged to prevent it happening again what precautions do you take if the valve needs replacing does that mean that the d-cat in exhaust is damaged also

The valve has two parts

mechanical

and

Electric Sensor

Carbon build up, occurs with age of car and over fueling

Areyou having problems ?

what causes it to get sooty and clogged to prevent it happening again what precautions do you take if the valve needs replacing does that mean that the d-cat in exhaust is damaged also

hello mate

there're several main reasons :

- poor injection;

- overloading;

- T/C performance;

- injection timing;

- air filter clogging;

- violation of EGR valve maintenance schedule.

cheers/Igor

thanks guys for your replys i have had the car serviced by geniune dealers since new its a 2008 model d4d 6 speed manual its been ticking over iregular since about 75 000 kilometer theres 95 000 on her now still under waranty the dealers told me that it was the egr valve but when they serviced it at 75 000 said nothing to me about it then only when i approached them on 95 000 kilometers about the iregular tickover and black smoke from exhaust

thanks guys for your replys i have had the car serviced by geniune dealers since new its a 2008 model d4d 6 speed manual its been ticking over iregular since about 75 000 kilometer theres 95 000 on her now still under waranty the dealers told me that it was the egr valve but when they serviced it at 75 000 said nothing to me about it then only when i approached them on 95 000 kilometers about the iregular tickover and black smoke from exhaust

ok then cured

pay attention on service intervals

good luck

Igor :thumbsup:

the egr valve is easy to clean using carb cleaner just clean it at every service

dave

the egr valve is easy to clean using carb cleaner just clean it at every service

dave

is it the same as spraying down the throttle body like on a petrol car or do you need to take it apart and clean it

is it the same as spraying carb cleaner into the throtlle body like on a petrol car or do you need to dismantle anything what is the procedure cheers

lads just got it back from the dealers they replaced egr valve they said it was full of carbon when i asked what can be done to prevent this happening again they practically said that its just one of those things that nothing can be done to prevent the carbon build up

i was basically told that there is no service procedure to prevent carbon build up

i was basically told that there is no service procedure to prevent carbon build up

hello marco polo

i could admis that EGR can serve arround 70-80k like cat convertor but you did not state what was the life time of your valve?

may be it was the time for its die?

Cheers/Igor

To Marco - Polo,

Glad to hear car running correctly. Just out of interest, why did they change your EGR valve. Was it playing up (sticking - open or closed) or was it just full of carbon, if full of carbon deposits, why did they just not clean component ??????

Regards, Beagh.

To Marco - Polo,

Glad to hear car running correctly. Just out of interest, why did they change your EGR valve. Was it playing up (sticking - open or closed) or was it just full of carbon, if full of carbon deposits, why did they just not clean component ??????

Regards, Beagh.

agree with you BEAGH

cheers

hello lads it was replaced at 95,000 kilometers the car was new when i bought it it is the original egr valve that was replaced is there a life span milege that the valve is to last and what is the service procedure

To Marco - Polo,

I wouldn't say they have a life span as such. They are electronically controlled on your car, if electrics play up, then usually a case of renewing item. But if just blocked up with carbon ( by - product of internal combustion cycle ) then they just require a good clean. That's why i was wondering what the reason for renewing your EGR valve was.

Regards, Beagh.

hello beagh it was carbon build up is there a way of cleaning it with carb cleaner do you spray down into the egr valve like doing the throttle body on a petrol car or do you take out the valve and clean it manually

hello beagh it was carbon build up is there a way of cleaning it with carb cleaner do you spray down into the egr valve like doing the throttle body on a petrol car or do you take out the valve and clean it manually

sorry -- it was not addressed to me, but i wonna share my thoughts:

there are some liquid chemicals are available called (soot or carbon remover) that make carbon friable enabling it to be removed with exhaust gas.

for sure it's resonable to read instructions on the name plate for apply. it is not reasonable to dismantle the EGR valve for pereodical cleaning that demands time, gaskets etc. in case this EGR valve is in your hands then the same chemical does the same job but it is necessary to pour it inside and leave it for a while to make cabon be smooth.

cheers/Igor

To Marco - Polo.

As suggested by igormus you can use chemical cleaners, or just use electric drill with wire cleaning bits to clean away carbon.

Regards, Beagh.

OK... Does anyone know what you can clean the EGR valve with that is safe. When i cleaned mine i used the hoover to suck the carbon from the little hole area on the intake, but i had left the valve covered with soot as it didn't want to poke around and end up damaging it. Also does anyone know what the torque is to tighten up the bolts as i don't want to over tighten them. I guessed it was about 30NM so i torqued mine up to that. Don't know if its too much or too less?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

hello mate

there're several main reasons :

- poor injection;

- overloading;

- T/C performance;

- injection timing;

- air filter clogging;

- violation of EGR valve maintenance schedule.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

I have been reading your replies to the above concerning the EGR Valve. I have a Avensis TSpirit D4D on a 2003 53, I am having the same problems as you have been describing, losing power and black smoke then all of a sudden it picks up again. I am concerned as my wife drives it to work and back everyday, it seems to occur more when pulling out of junctions and going up hills. I have searched for and tried to get a Haines Guide manual to no success, they are saying that they have not published one as of yet. Could you tell me or have you any diagrams yourself of the whereabouts of the valve on my vehicle ???

Be much appreciated if you could help me please in any way as the main dealers charge you an arm and a leg, new valve and gaskets £223.

Once again, thanks for your time

Garry

Hi Igor

I have been reading your replies to the above concerning the EGR Valve. I have a Avensis TSpirit D4D on a 2003 53, I am having the same problems as you have been describing, losing power and black smoke then all of a sudden it picks up again. I am concerned as my wife drives it to work and back everyday, it seems to occur more when pulling out of junctions and going up hills. I have searched for and tried to get a Haines Guide manual to no success, they are saying that they have not published one as of yet. Could you tell me or have you any diagrams yourself of the whereabouts of the valve on my vehicle ???

Be much appreciated if you could help me please in any way as the main dealers charge you an arm and a leg, new valve and gaskets £223.

Once again, thanks for your time

Garry

Garry/Igor

hi -- it is better you to make your engne photo or quick pointing.

Cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having the same issues with losing power and would like to know where the EGR valve is please. Also, I only have the problem once the ca is warm (driven for about 5 miles or 15 minutes), is this a sign of EGR issues?

Many thanks.

I am also having the same issues with losing power and would like to know where the EGR valve is please. Also, I only have the problem once the ca is warm (driven for about 5 miles or 15 minutes), is this a sign of EGR issues?

Many thanks.

Have a look at the pics on this thread EGR Valve clean up this was on a 2.2 T180.