Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Long Does It Take To Make An Aygo?

Aki

I’ve ordered a new Aygo Blue and specified VSC (stability control) on it. Because of this the dealer told me the car would need to be built from scratch in Czech Republic – which makes sense I suppose as the wiring and sensors etc have to be fitted from the start. They tell me about 11-14 weeks.

This leads me to two questions. 1) would my car need to be built from absolute scratch, or do they have a stock of floor pans with wheels screwed onto them that can become any kind of Aygo? :D 2) How much of that 11-14 weeks is actually building the car, and how much is processing the order and delivering it?

Having ordered a new car for the first time (scrappage!!), its made me fascinated about how a car is built! Any one got any info’ or know of any cool web sites that explain the process?

Cheers folks!!

You must appreciate that every car is built from scratch as it has to start somewhere. But I know what you are asking! So rather than see it as being built from scratch, consider it a factory order - a car built to your precise specification.

One sure way to get a factory order is to ask for an obscure option (like say sunroof or ESP) and you are sure to get a factory build. I personally do not like pre-built cars as you never know how long they have been sat around waiting for a buyer. Good luck with your new purchase :) We're in the same boat waiting for our new build to get here (end of June apparently)...

get in touch with Toyota UK if your interested in a tour.

as for your question.

each body Shell is built to what has been specified in the order although this is generaly down to rh/lh drive and manual and auto, moonroof/non moonroof.

it will then be processed though the paint shop, first it will get an electro-deposition dip coat, this is basicaly the corosion protection.

then body sealer and sound deadening mats are fitted. the body then passes to primer coat where the primer coat is applied. after the primer coat has been baked in an oven top coat and laquer is applied.

the body Shell then moves onto assembly where it will move through various prosesses, trim,chassis and final assembly (doors back on etc).

after that its onto the inspection and function tests and then on its way to despatch.

as for the time frame, toyota keep a stock of the most popular models/specs/colours. if yours isnt available then the order will be sent to the factory to be processed. production from sheet steel to driving off the line is 1-2 days (dependant on production line speed)

they may have a lrge order requirement so your car may not be processed for a week or two. the remaining time is spent shipping and preparing the car.

hope thats an insight. any more questions. i work at the burnaston plant so should be able to help

The Czech plant produces 300,000 new cars every year - which I think is a mix of Aygos, C1s and 107s.

That's the equivalent of 822 cars every day.

The Czech plant produces 300,000 new cars every year - which I think is a mix of Aygos, C1s and 107s.

It IS a mix of al three and it's supposed to be an equal split between the tree.

On some pics I've seen you can see the thre rolling off of the line all mixed;

both in color as well as in make/type...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links