Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent Mr2 T-bar Turbo Advice Needed Please!

Fizz

K plate T-Bar Turbo in black on a K plate...

Off to view it with a mechanic who works for Toyota but are there any bits of advice as to what to look for that are specificly with the MR2 T-bar?

all advice would be much appreciated... :thumbsup:

All being well.. i should be able to find a deal as they have 8 MR2's in total...and if the price is right.. :rolleyes: B)

check the boost goes over the '+' .. as this shows if the turbo is okay ..

Check the hose from the turbo to the actuator .. see if there is any boost valves etc been put in.

and check the tyres for strange worn parts .. as the setup of the camber, toe in etc is very important on MR2s.

Also check the tyres are a good make .. none of this jap rubbish ..

1. check for any sign of oil around the turbo - then take it for a blast, if oil apears walk away.

2. Also check for stock ECU, see if anything has been wired in to it...

3. If the exhaust gasses don't look great ie white, blue or black walk away.

4. If it has a dump valve its not great - may need taking back to stock.

5. Get a feel for a few of them, pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

6. I'd go for the least modified as it will probably work out better.

Check the gearbox for smooth shifting, also try some high rev changes in to forth and fifth (don't get done for speeding). Cruntching and whining from the gear box is very bad.

Make sure the oil isn't like tar and check it's been serviced properly. Ask when the cam belt was done too. Although not a probablem if it breaks on these engines, but it does cost a lot to replace.

With the cold spell we're having at the moment you might find the car won't maintain full boost.

Another good test is to take a paper clip along with you and once the engine is warmed up, switch it off (switch off the heater, radios, etc too), then use the paper clip to connect pins E1 and TE1 in the diagnostic socket. Switch the ignition to on (but dont start the car) and watch the engine check light on the dash.

If the check light flashes without pausing its good, if it flashes out codes (like * * * * *, then repeats) the ECU is detecting problems with the engine or sensors. This is a great test because the codes are stored until the ECU is reset, codes like running excessive boost, failed knock sensors (typically from too much boost causing a knock loud enough to destroy the sensor), or anything else which could be a problem later!

Also check the paint carefully for any signs of spraying. Pull the boot carpet and look for rear end repairs, check the ECU hasn't had the wires cut in too (found in the boot, bolted to the back over the passnger side).

Listen for hollow sounding knocking from the car as you drive, typically is leaking shocks. If it's a decent spec turbo it will have no-rebuildable Bilstiens which are throw away items and very expensive.

Check the colour of the coolant, MR2's use Toyota Forlife which is blood red in colour. Green forlife isn't suitable for MR2's really, and if anything else is in there it could be a sign of poor or cheap servicing.

Check the oil filter and see if it's a Toyota one. Seems like a silly thing, but in tests rarely any after market filters are much cop. I will only use Toyota filters on my car for that reason (they are also fitted with a non-return valve so don't leak oil all over the engine when changing).

Check the seats and carpet for water stains or wetness. Damn those leaky t-bar seals!

Listen to wind noise coming from the door mirrors, also check for shaking. Although not expensive to fix, it's not much fun doing in winter time.

If buying a fresh import, check the passenger foot well for the Toyota factory fit emergency flare. Not availible in the UK, and is a nice part to have when you come to resell.

Check the stereo and listen for any crackling or popping noises coming from the rear Speakers. If the T-bars leak, ofter water gets in the amps and kills them. Also check the door Speakers. The standard ones tend to rot away the rubber around the cone and sound like crap when that goes.

If the car is fitted with a Green HKS Powerflow air filter (looks like a mushroom) either walk away or use it to bring the price down. These filters are complete crap and suck in all but the largest chucks of dirt and dust. I used one of my own car for a couple of months and it chocked up the inside of the airflow meter and inlet pipes. Biggest waste of money ever.

The forums removed the spaces I put in to the error code read out. If you've got no codes it will go * * * * * * etc. However say you've got or had a knock sensor fail it will flash *_*_*_*_*_____*_* the repeat (the _ being pauses).

Cheers for all ya help guys...

Very much appreciated..!! :thumbsup:

Hey mat.. can i be cheecky and ask if you live anywhere near Brum as thats where im off to view the car tomorrow morning about 10/10:30ish... :rolleyes:

If you are near.. dare i ask if you would meet me at the place...the dealer in in the city centre... B1 area...

If not then cool... just had to ask.. :thumbsup: B)

what a load of BS that trip turned out to be..

The prices were higer than what he quoted on the phone as well as 90% of the cars in stock having signs of resprays... :censor:

Anyone give me a link to the classifieds section of a MR2 uk owners club?

wanna see whats on offer...

If the car is fitted with a Green HKS Powerflow air filter (looks like a mushroom) either walk away or use it to bring the price down. These filters are complete crap and suck in all but the largest chucks of dirt and dust. I used one of my own car for a couple of months and it chocked up the inside of the airflow meter and inlet pipes. Biggest waste of money ever.

My brother has the HKS Super Crappyflow and ive been telling him for ages to change it. His inlet will be well clogged up (starting it has progressivley got worse..no doubt due to the inlet being clogged now) how would you sort this out tho? (car is a 96 celica 3sge).

How did you sort it out BenL?

how would you sort this out tho

I changed mine to an Apexi .. and over time it's cleaned itself up ..