Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluetooth

Red diesel

Just after looking at a thread in the Aygo forum and someone was giving their first impression of their new motor - and one of the things they liked was bluetooth

However im wondering what your thoughts are on the best option for having bluetooth when your car doesen't have it from the factory

Heres how i see it

You can have it retrofitted to the car with it linked up to the Speakers and a button fitted for answering calls etc - however this involves the dash coming out (for wireing purposes). The other thing i find with this set up is that other people can hear what the other person (the person your calling or has called you) is saying - not exactly ideal from a privacy point of view.

Or have one of the special bluetooth earpieces - which can be lost damaged or the Battery runs out when you need it.

How have others managed - what do you use and whats your preferred option (even if that preferred option is to tell Red diesel to bugger off and stop being a pain :thumbsup: )

I ran An Alpine bluetooth module in my Hilux connected to an Alpine head unit and its was pretty good. My other half liked it so much she got one for her MR2 which also has an Alpine headunit.

It was a good system!

My current car has it from the factory too... Once you are used to it you wonder how you managed without!

If you don't want to change the stereo head unit people rate the parrot kits.

I forgot to add, the nice thing about the Alpine setup is it is totally stealth, you use the head unit controls to do everything, all you see is a tiny microphonee

I have used a Talktool BT2800 unit...............It works very well but I never use my phone whilst driving..........even with the bluetooth.

I have used a Talktool BT2800 unit...............It works very well but I never use my phone whilst driving..........even with the bluetooth.

Is that because no one calls......... poor larry Loner :P

Is that because no one calls......... poor larry Loner :P

I get loads of calls whilst driving but choose not to answer them on the grounds of safety....................If they are important the caller will always ring later :P

I got a Siemens handsfree (HKW-600) a few years ago. It's not the best kit out there, but it was cheap and at the time had it's own display for incoming calls etc. I'm thinking of getting the Kenwood BT module that plugs straight into the head-unit like the Alpine.

Get yourself a kit, they can be tricky to fit, but if you aren't afraid of spending an hour with the stereo out splicing a few wires then it's well worth it. The sound quality is far better than a headset and you don't look like such a dork driving around with a dongle sticking out of your ear. I could go on about the benefits, but for me it's the fact it always switches on when the engine starts and you are never fumbling around for it when a call comes in, just press the button and make the call.

I used to have a Parrot kit in my last car. It integrates nicely with the headunit and had good facilities.

I think.... find your budget and buy the best you can afford :huh:

So would I need to change the head unit or can it somehow be wired up through the original Toyota radio cassette system - also if i can get away with the original head unit - is it still worth changing to the alpine set up

You can get kits that work independantly to the headunit (e.g. Parrot)

Although if your system is cassette, I am guessing an upgrade is probably due ;) (Although I still have a cassette deck in mine lol)