Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D-d4 Xt3 '54 Plate Vs 2.0vvt-i Xt3 '05 Plate

Corry

Hi,

New girlie here so please be patient....

I'm choosing between the above two RAV4s. They are both the new facelift model, details above. At the moment I have a '53 plate Cooper S so a very different car. I drive about 6,000 miles a year. I have a dog and I'm considering doing some camping trips and so I need a more practical car!

I'm trying to decide between the diesel and petrol versions. The models in the title are both from Toyota dealerships. The diesel has done 54k @ £8,990 and the petrol has done 40k @£8,450.

I think the main advantage of the diesel is the fuel economy, supposedly around 39mpg and also better longevity.

I think the main advantage of the petrol is that it is around 1 second quicker 0-60 and the 32 mpg isn't too bad.

Here come the questions. Am I right with the above?

Are the 39 and 32 mpg figures realistic?

Also, as mainly I do a lot of short journeys around town, will I really get the advantage of the improved mpg from the diesel?

Will the diesel or the petrol cope better with the multiple short journeys?

I've read reviews of both models, it claims the diesel can be 'clattery' on the motorway - is that true?

I've heard that early diesel models (up to '02?) had issues with the dual mass flywheel. Has that been cleared up in these newer models?

Finally, I test drove a pre-facelift petrol model today; an '03 2.0 VX. I test drove this as it was close to me and to get an idea of what a pertol one drives like as the one above is quite far away. I don't know if it was that particular car or the pre-facelift model but there I was worried about a few things:

The steering felt very light.

The engine felt quite weak/gutless.

The car didn't feel very sturdy / solid.

The ride felt bouncy, un-assured going around comparatively gently bends in country lanes.

Apart from the Cooper S which I know is totally different, I am comparing this with a Freelander TD4 that felt strong and torquey and handled well, but quite 'agricultural' and a Honda CRV which drove and handled like a 'normal' car, but was pig ugly!

Will the post facelift model be much different to the pre facelift model? Could that just have been a duff car? Or are the diesel models just quite different to the petrol models?

Sorry for all the questions but before I test drove the older petrol RAV I had put a deposit (fully refundable) on the Diesel model in the title so I could be in a position to buy tomorrow!

Sorry for such a long first post... Any advice would be aprreciated.... Thanks in advance...

Corry

Hi Corry and welcome to TOC. Just my opinion and I'm sure petrol owners will have there own, but I would opt for the diesel.

I'm on my second diesel Rav and love the torque of it over the petrol ones. There are still issues with dual mass flywheels on

later Rav's, but as they say you pays your money and takes your chances and all that. Just remember coming from a Mini you

will find the Rav a totally different driving experience especially on the handling side. Having said that I allways found that the

ride was quite hard due to being set up for better handling, but its just what you're used to. On motorway journeys the diesel

should easily hit mid 40's MPG, in town mid 30's depending how heavy you are with that right foot. Best to test drive a few models

for comparison, when you find one you like get an RAC check or similar, and make sure you get a 12 month warranty when you buy.

Good luck, there's a lot of info and help to be had on here as well so just ask. :thumbsup:

Hi Corry and welcome to TOC. Just my opinion and I'm sure petrol owners will have there own, but I would opt for the diesel.

I'm on my second diesel Rav and love the torque of it over the petrol ones. There are still issues with dual mass flywheels on

later Rav's, but as they say you pays your money and takes your chances and all that. Just remember coming from a Mini you

will find the Rav a totally different driving experience especially on the handling side. Having said that I allways found that the

ride was quite hard due to being set up for better handling, but its just what you're used to. On motorway journeys the diesel

should easily hit mid 40's MPG, in town mid 30's depending how heavy you are with that right foot. Best to test drive a few models

for comparison, when you find one you like get an RAC check or similar, and make sure you get a 12 month warranty when you buy.

Good luck, there's a lot of info and help to be had on here as well so just ask. :thumbsup:

Hi and thanks for the reply,

The Rav I am test driving today comes with a year's Toyota warranty and I have specifically asked about the fly wheel (which they said would be covered by the warranty). It is also due its 60k/6 year service which would be done FOC including the "t-belt". But do these have cam belts and timing belts? Also, what do you think of the price? (it's full leather interior with the steps all around and in my opinion very good condition for the age). Is there anything else I should consider ask/about before talking money? I am thinking of asking them to guarantee the fly wheel seperately for a couple/three years as they have said there is nothing wrong with them in later models!!

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.... going to see it in two hours :D

Corry

According to this guide, its a bit high -

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/...20&plate=76

But also worth noting that used car prices are all over the place just now. Definately haggle, even walk out the

showroom if they dont reduce the price. If they have your details, they wont be long in contacting you to get

you back. The more warranty you can get the better, if they are saying the dual mass flywheel is not a problem

then tell them ok you wont have a problem giving 2 years warranty then. Whatever they offer, just say its not

enough to get your business then say nought, let them comeback. Remember its a buyers market. :thumbsup:

PS XT3 did not come with leather as standard, so previous owner must have paid extra as option. Quite rare,

lucky finding one.

But also worth noting that used car prices are all over the place just now. Definately haggle, even walk out the

showroom if they dont reduce the price. If they have your details, they wont be long in contacting you to get

you back. The more warranty you can get the better, if they are saying the dual mass flywheel is not a problem

then tell them ok you wont have a problem giving 2 years warranty then. Whatever they offer, just say its not

enough to get your business then say nought, let them comeback. Remember its a buyers market. :thumbsup:

PS XT3 did not come with leather as standard, so previous owner must have paid extra as option. Quite rare,

lucky finding one.

Hi Corry + welcome, I am with Dave on the diesel, i wouldn,t worry overmuch about a 1sec difference in the 0-60 as the greater torque of the d4d will more than make up for it in overtaking, which is more important. the d4d will give you greater economy especially on your shorter journeys, if i read your post correctly + you are coming from a cooper S to a rav then frankly you will initially be a tad dissapointed in both performance + handling. but i think after a while you will be surprised how capable the rav is.. if you decide against a rav :unsure: please please not the freelander unless you like visiting repair shops + have really deep pockets, my mate has a Crv which to be fair has been faultless, but as you say is pig ugly..found a little write up on the 2004 rav.. http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota_th..._2_30_09_03.asp hope this helps let us know what you decide + some piccies might be nice (of the car) :rolleyes::thumbsup:

lucky finding one.

Hi Corry + welcome, I am with Dave on the diesel, i wouldn,t worry overmuch about a 1sec difference in the 0-60 as the greater torque of the d4d will more than make up for it in overtaking, which is more important. the d4d will give you greater economy especially on your shorter journeys, if i read your post correctly + you are coming from a cooper S to a rav then frankly you will initially be a tad dissapointed in both performance + handling. but i think after a while you will be surprised how capable the rav is.. if you decide against a rav :unsure: please please not the freelander unless you like visiting repair shops + have really deep pockets, my mate has a Crv which to be fair has been faultless, but as you say is pig ugly..found a little write up on the 2004 rav.. http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota_th..._2_30_09_03.asp hope this helps let us know what you decide + some piccies might be nice (of the car) :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply, just read the review and it all sounds good. Will keep you posted and post some pics (of the car if I get it).... Off to test drive now :)

Corry

I'll add my two penneth.

For your intended mileage and the fact it will do short runs petrol is the more sensible choice.

The petrol engines do feel "gutless" - especially up long motorway hills but the car is more of a practical vehicle so if you want speed don't buy it.

The ride of any 4 x 4 is not like a saloon or coupe and of course this is the previous generation.

The steering does feel "light" but my wife loves this as it makes it easy to drive around town.

The price for the petrol is high IMO - you should get a much better deal as petrol 4 x 4's are not the flavour of the times.

This petrol engine is recognised as being very reliable and long-lived. There are fewer issues on here with the petrol engines although some have reported oxygen sensor failure after a few years.

MPG - I get around 28 on my auto.

The petrol engine is quiter than the diesel.

From what you have described, go for the petrol.

If you plan to do higher mileage then go for the diesel.

I suppose the diesel will be easier to sell on in future.

Good luck.

p.s. - you can completely remove the rear seats on the 4.2 - will be great for your dogs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links