Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fto ... Any Good ?

Jimlad

we are gonna rip it apart... you know that dont you? :arrgg-matey:

Jim, brilliant cars;

1.8 is just a slow showpiece for young sonny jims like me that can't afford the decent engines.

2.0 V6 - now you're talking, get a nice exhaust and you get THAT sound!!!!

2.0 V6 mivec - now you're laughing :D :lol:

I love the look of them, sort of like a mini supra mk4 from the front and an alfa at the back.

Very understated, high insurance however, exclusive (more so than the MR2 these days)

did I mention V6? :thumbsup::drool:

There are a couple of FTO owners sites m8, just do a google search for them and u'll find all the info you need.

I nearly bought the 1.8 a while ago hence the knowledge on the subject.

I nearly bought myself a FTO before getting my MR2 turbo.

I went for a few test drive, but MR2 turns out in my favour of driver's car when you forget about practicality.

Manual is rare to find, mostly tiptronic.

You might want to give both a try. I would personally go for manual but if you always in traffic then tiptronic.

Tiptronic is quicker off the line, it shift in no time but slightly heavier.

http://www.ftooc.org might be help you on techinical side.

i nearly bought one too before my tubby :thumbsup:

only one to entertain jim is the one u have posted. the 2 ltr gpx. sometimes referred to as mivec and often having a big mivec sign embossed into the rear.

v6 200 bhp - obviously not as quick as our tubbys but still a nice car with a nice sound.

like tony says the manual is rarer and probably better.

i held out for either black or silver gpx manual, and in 2 months on autotrader only encountered 2 good examples!

Personally I like the look of them but find them very unexciting and, quite frankly, just too normal to drive.

Not a big fan of V6 engines either which doesn't really help raise my personal opinions of them. I don't really think that would bother too many people, mind, but if I was going for 6 cylinders they'd have to be straight (with the only exception being a Corrado VR6/VR6 Storm).

It seems alot of people are looking at FTOs at the moment.

They are very reliable and lots of fun.

Lots of info on www.ftooc.org

There are plenty for sale, I would say that that one is overpriced by £750

Very understated, high insurance however, exclusive (more so than the MR2 these days)

No way! They are very very common I see em all the time. The 1.8 is cack, the V6 tiptronic is also mega cack and the manual..well I never got round to driving one. You see my m8 really wanted one but in the end he bought a very nice Integra SiR-G which is a hell of a lot quicker and fun to drive. The FTO is not a drivers car at all..its totally lifeless (do you ever see em on jap tracks?)

Also theres quite a few FTOs with HKS/Blitz NUR up here and I dont like their sound at all either. Considering they have a V6 youd expect a bit of meatyness but it produces a very light note. They are also not very tunable.

BUT it has a really really nice interior(best part o the car imo) and it does look nice (until you see em 100 times) and its a perfect womans car so you should buy her one Jimlad(actually its no surprise that she likes it..kinda proves my point). A good 70% odd of FTO drivers up here are women too..which is not a bad thing...kinda :P

jim,

suggesting a non-toyota here is always going to be subject to narrow minded oppinionated views; :( <_<

best thing you can do is go test drive the mivec and make up your own mind :yes:

it's the only way to make sure it's the right car :thumbsup:

pizza boy's spot on with what he said about the fto. There are a few jap guys round my uni that own em. I think they look amazing both exterior and especially the interior!

most of em have them kitted true jap style and i like it a lot :yes:

the interiors are also fantasic, very modern looking but EXTREMELY stylish, get ur boost gauges and lcd's in there (like one of hte guys has) with a nice silver/chrome/blue theme going on, its looks the dog's b******s!

I can't say much about the performance as i've not driven em myself, and the drivers are a sensible bunch. i.e they dont rag it every chance they get, nor pump the gas like a bunch of boy racers, so not really seen em in action either...

Prolly not much help on deciding for u pal as i can only comment on the looks.

That reminds me, u defo going w. a red & black TRD interior in ur 2?

Again at my uni theres a celica (the new vvti) thats got a majot trd theme from exterior logos plasterd all over it, to a completely redone interior in red/black. does look nice :)

... i don't know how i manage to do it...

but i've typed up a &#33;Removed&#33; long spiel just to tell u that the fto looks good, but dunno bout the performance...

haha

-Z

suggesting a non-toyota here is always going to be subject to narrow minded oppinionated views;  :(  <_<

Hey no way! I think my opinion is far from narrow minded. Its an opinion from experience of driving a few 1.8s and v6 tiptronics. And mivecs are way too pricey not worth the extra money imo. I did point out the good stuff of the car which is the looks. Its not one sided. Besides I coulda told my mate to go for a celica blah blah but I convinced him to get an Integra which toasts celicas and most FF cars(FTO) and looks great too.

So there! :P

wasn't targeting you pizza boy, it's just the general vibe i get whenever a non-toyota post pops up

look at nws25 with his new alfa, condemmed as if it was going to fall apart on him as he drove it home, he clearly stated that after a year of being a break down mechanic he had been to visit fewer alfas than bmw's.

the intega type r will beat most things for drivability anyway, and you'd have to be silly not to recomend one :P

wasn't targeting you pizza boy, it's just the general vibe i get whenever a non-toyota post pops up

look at nws25 with his new alfa, condemmed as if it was going to fall apart on him as he drove it home, he clearly stated that after a year of being a break down mechanic he had been to visit fewer alfas than bmw's.

the intega type r will beat most things for drivability anyway, and you'd have to be silly not to recomend one :P

Aha! Note it is the Integra SiR-G model I recommended(Type-R kills insurance). Its one level down from the Type R and is a damn rocket. It rules as far as economy and outright performance concerned for the price and have the bonus of being ultra rare.

Got a B18C(basically a detuned Type-R lump)178ps 7600rpm( 8000rpm redline lol!) 0-60 6.8 sec and LSD, ABS etc etc. The best part is..it performs like the paper figures spot on(actually feels even quicker)..unlike the FTO. And being a 1.8 its got great economy plus cheap insurance for what it is (a very &#33;Removed&#33; fast car..and much cheaper than FTO insurance). What more could ye ask for. I am gonna source one of these if I ever have to sell my 2 . LOL rice burners ro0l!

Agree with Pizza Boy.

Integras (only driven a Type R myself) are proper drivers cars. Driving an ITR is quite a hard feeling to relate to until you've actually had a go in one.

FTOs are very nice looking but are, ultimately, poser mobiles. The V6 Mivec may be pretty quick but asides from good acceleration they really are incredibly bland cars to drive. It feels far too detatched and, well, boring (as I said earlier).

And I'm by no means a Toyota junkie - I just happen to own one. It doesn't mean I think they're the be-all-and-end-all of all things automobile. A good car is a good car, and whilst the FTO IS a good car, it cetainly isn't a fun car.

Like what has been said they are a very nice looking car but are definitely not a drivers car but if you are looking for one for her then thats maybe not high on her priorities. It's a bit harsh i know but i've always looked at them as japans answer to the probe and calibra :!Removed!:

came across THIS whilst havin a look at some cars.

It's an auto but for just over 4grand (all in) it doesnt seem that bad...

don't know much about the fto's really.

And a little modding help...

HERE

should help u out :)

-Z

2303.jpg

1995 Mitsubishi FTO GR MODIFIED, 5 speed, 8,000 kms, White, $25,300 plus tyres and ORC's

Price $25,300

Description:

The following vehicle will be sold at auction in Japan on Sunday 16th March 2003. Start price is 850,000 yen FOB, expected sale price is somewhere around the 1,100,000 yen FOB mark although it is very unpredictable and could be cheaper. The total cost in Australia at this price is estimated to be $25,300 plus tyres, Govt. stamp duty and registration (normal licensing costs for any vehicle). Shipping, import duties, GST, compliance and our service fee are all included in the estimate. There are bound to be some additional costs in compliance due to the extensive modifications, these will only be known following arrival and will depend on which State the vehicle is sent to.

Here is something that is extremely rare to find, an FTO with an EVO engine conversion. 314 ps power output is claimed by the owner. Based on shipping schedules there should just be sufficient time to import this vehicle under the old import scheme, but you will need to contact us immediately so that shipping can be pre-booked. It is also suitable as a race / rally import in which case it would be about $2,500 cheaper (compliance not required).

Imagine the costs of building this vehicle in Australia. The owner claims he has spent over 4 million yen ($56,300) on the conversion.

1995 Mitsubishi FTO GR base car with EVO turbo engine conversion

5 speed

White

4G63 (EVO 4) engine installed 8,000 kms ago

Blitz intercooler

Earl's oil cooler

Custom exhaust

APEXi Power FC

Blitz dual SBC (boost controller)

HKS Power Flow

Cusco suspension

Front and rear strut tower bars

Front lower arm upgrade

Cusco LSD Type MZ

OS twin plate clutch

OS custom flywheel

Endless brake pads

18" Volk Racing wheels

Momo steering wheel

Recaro driver's seat with 4-point racing harness

Blitz gauges

Quick shift gearbox

Full bodykit including Boz Speed front spoiler, Ducattro sideskirts, Euro rear bumper, and carbon fibre bonnet

Condition notes: In excellent condition. Professionally tuned. All parts were bought and fitted brand new and have done only 8,000 kms. No second hand parts have been used

This is rumoured to be in the UK now :help::help:

Simon

came across THIS whilst havin a look at some cars.

It's an auto but for just over 4grand (all in) it doesnt seem that bad...

don't know much about the fto's really.

And a little modding help...

HERE

should help u out :)

-Z

The interior looks abit tatty to me. can you see the passenger's side wall has been ripped and untidy?? I would try to look for another example..hehe

He was the agent who got me a MR2 turbo anyway....

Personally i would have left the evo engine in the evo :lol:

300bhp hairdressers car :lol:

I wouldn't mind one as a 2nd car .. daily driver ..

but

import only, silly fuel consumption and FWD !!!

Jimlad, do you know there is one on Balmoral Ave?.. near Mullans house.. the dude who drives it turned his nose up at me.