Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One Year Servicing

Lister2020

Been exactly one year since I passed my test today :D

Got the car on 19th of june so will need to do the 1 year servicing soon. What would be a reasonablep price and what should I expect them to do, and what should I prevent them from doing to throw more cost into it?

If i remember correctly before i signed up for the service plan, i was quoted around £160 for the first service.

Got the car on 19th of june so will need to do the 1 year servicing soon.

What would be a reasonable price and what should I expect them to do?

What should I prevent them from doing to throw more cost into it?

Locally it costs 90 pounds stirling.

As far as I know it's just an oil and filter change - Plus a visual check of the

braking and steering systems, lights and tyres.

Expensive for what it is but neglect could affect your warranty.

Tell them NOT to carry out any other work without your prior consent.

Did the servicing myself personally, the first few years are pretty simple, oil change, filter change and mainly checks

No where near worth the price a garage would want to service it

Got the car on 19th of june so will need to do the 1 year servicing soon. What would be a reasonablep price and what should I expect them to do, and what should I prevent them from doing to throw more cost into it?

Beware that some garages will quote one price when you are booking the service and invoice for a different amount when it it time to pay. They will say that the "system is down" so they cannot check. You just insist on paying the quoted amount - it you like that amount you could ask for it it writing.

The foregoing happened to both myself and my brother at different Mr T Garages - both Aygos (not the first year service but the principal's the same and I thought it was OK for you to be forewarned).

First should be about £100. If it's a lot more than this ask what they are charging for. As suggested above get a price on the phone and confirm this when leaving the car - get the price onto the jobsheet so there are no arguments.

Did the servicing myself personally, the first few years are pretty simple, oil change, filter change and mainly checks

Be warned, unless you happen to be a VAT registered garage then if you service it yourself then you can invalidate the 3 year warranty - even if you used genuine Toyota parts. Block Exemption allows you to go outside the Dealer network for service but ONLY if it is a VAT reg. garage.

I agree though in principal that the Aygo shouldn't be as much to service as it is - but they do ramp up these costs unnecessarily IMHO.

If i remember correctly before i signed up for the service plan, i was quoted around £160 for the first service.

I hate having to hunt for the best price for servicing whenever my cars fall due and consequently really like a decent service package. I opted for a 5 year plan for our Aygo, which cost circa £500 for 5 years and means I can take my Aygo to any Toyota UK Main Dealer for service.

Be warned, unless you happen to be a VAT registered garage then if you service it yourself then you can invalidate the 3 year warranty - even if you used genuine Toyota parts. Block Exemption allows you to go outside the Dealer network for service but ONLY if it is a VAT reg. garage.

I agree though in principal that the Aygo shouldn't be as much to service as it is - but they do ramp up these costs unnecessarily IMHO.

I believe you to be wrong here. Block exemption allows any competent mechanic to service the vehicle without invalidating the manufacturer's warrenty, provided that:

• The service is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's servicing schedules and is recorded as such.
  • Any parts used are of 'appropriate quality' and are recorded as such.

The VAT registerstration only applies if the servicing is being done for profit or reward. Check out this thread:

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/index.php?showtopic=7138

Never affected the warranty when I serviced myself. Toyota replaced the carpets and radiator under warranty last year

Ok so what somewhere around £100???????

My 1st year service was 93.54 (inc VAT) - back in 2007 - so yes about £100 sounds OK

Don't whatever you do, take the service plan out.

I only let Toyota service the car because I was worried about the warranty

I normally do everything myself.

Once you've paid up front, the standard of "workmanship"

is terrible.

Mark all service items and assume nothing will be done correctly and

Toyota main dealers will live up to your expectations.

Or you might be charged £165.00 for a full service and find (like I did)

they've just done an oil change. Nothing else.

If you can't service your car yourself, take it to a trusted local

small independent who is happy to have you watch to work being done.

There are many ways on this site of finding and printing the service schedule.

Those big expensive showrooms and the free coffees have to be paid for.

Just remember, it's big business, so they're trying to make as much money as possible.

I paid the £279 for the 3-year Toyota service plan, cars not a year old yet. If they do the work wrong it will keep going back until I'm happy with it.

Don't whatever you do, take the service plan out....

I read your experience mate and it was tragic :(

But the way I see it is this:

I buy my car and it has a warranty. If things go wrong I take it to my nearest dealer for it to be fixed [under said warranty]. Now I am less concerned if they have/have not serviced the car properly, because if they haven't then it will break down...and when it does, it'll go back to them to be fixed, again under warranty or their liability.

I wont be keeping my Aygo for any more than 5 years - so whether or not they service it properly is of no consequence to me. As long as it gets the ticks and stamps in the service book - thats all I care about because that is what Toyota care about. Thats the attitude I have for my VW, Audi, Lexus and now BMW.

For me the service pack makes sense because it not only fixes my costs but I couldn't get all 5 services for that kind of money (the service pack picks up the cost of the MOT fee too!)...so it makes sense for me.

Don't whatever you do, take the service plan out....

I read your experience mate and it was tragic :(

But the way I see it is this:

I buy my car and it has a warranty. If things go wrong I take it to my nearest dealer for it to be fixed [under said warranty]. Now I am less concerned if they have/have not serviced the car properly, because if they haven't then it will break down...and when it does, it'll go back to them to be fixed, again under warranty or their liability.

I wont be keeping my Aygo for any more than 5 years - so whether or not they service it properly is of no consequence to me. As long as it gets the ticks and stamps in the service book - thats all I care about because that is what Toyota care about. Thats the attitude I have for my VW, Audi, Lexus and now BMW.

For me the service pack makes sense because it not only fixes my costs but I couldn't get all 5 services for that kind of money (the service pack picks up the cost of the MOT fee too!)...so it makes sense for me.

Yes,

I can see your point.

This is the only place I can rant about it.

Still love my Aygo though!

Ian.

i always find it is worth ringing 3 or 4 of the nearest dealerships and get a quote.

If you have a preferred dealership,you can always use a cheaper quote to get them to price match-they are usually very keen to do a deal.

Earlier this year the 1st year service was about £115.Most expensive quote nearby was £160 or so.

I've just been quoted £406 for first 3 services plus first MOT. I can pay Over 2 years at 0% interest.

That includes 10% off any parts/labour (extra to service). Collect/delivery or courtesy car included.

All prices guarenteed to be fixed at todays prices.

As an MOT these days is about £45 the services work out at about £120 each. The first service will be in a years time so is £120 fair for a year hence?

Can't decide if its a good deal or not. Its not a BAD deal but it ain't no bargain either. £16 per month over 2 years sounds a convenient, no hassle way of paying though.

I've had a quick look but can't find anything on the service plan options. Is there a link available for the Toyota website? It seems people are talking about Toyota UK and then dealership plans...my dealer hasn't mentioned anything to me, or maybe that'll come when I pick up the car. :huh:

They spring it on you when your picking the car up. Each dealership will have their own prices.

£95 as quoted included a wash and vac from Gordon Lamb sheffield last week. Booked in for glove box latch replacement next week.

Just a word of caution on Service Plans...

Most Dealers will quote you a price for their own Dealer Group Service Plan - this means you can only take your car to that specific garage or one of their group (IE: as it is Dealer limited plan you CANNOT take it to ANY Toyota Dealership). And with many Dealer groups in a precarious position, you don't want to be caught short.

If you want a plan, make sure you get a Toyota GB Plan - this way even if the supplying Dealer goes bust, you can still use the service plan at ANY Toyota Dealership as it is backed by the parent company and not the franchise group.

Don't be fooled, don;t be bamboozled, make sure you ask the right questions and ensure you know what you are buying. If at all possible, use your credit card to protect you in the future.

You used to ba able to get the prices of the plans from the Toyota UK website, but is doesn't appear to be there.

But Google to the rescue (well sort of, as you will see) :

Pentagon Toyota offers the Toyota Plan with 0% apr etc for, 31x £11.33 plus 1x £11.48 = £362.71

http://www.pentagon-toyota.co.uk/service_plans.php

Minories Durham Toyota also offer the Toyota Plan for 0% etc but, 29x £11.21 plus 1x £11.48 = £336.57

http://tns.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...6798_3406366937

http://tns.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...6798_3414241867

I had to buy my service plan from a different dealer than I bought my car due to the fact that the original dealer refused to sell me the Toyota Plan, they instead wanted to sell their own one, more money-less flexibilty. I paid £279 for mine in Sept'08.

Some of the dealer plans include the cost of the first MOT and making sure it gets through the test. The only bit you really need to worry about is the actual cost of the MOT, your car must be MOT'd the first time before it is 3 years old and if there is anything wrong with it, it will still be under warranty and therefore Toyotas problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links