Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Buy An Avensis

Tafia

Hi folks,

I am looking for a safe, reliable car primarily to be driven by my wife and, wherever I look I see some negative reports on most cars. Possible problems I have seen with the Avensis are:

Diesels needing a clutch after 10,000 miles, sludging up of VVT engines, melted headlamp bulb holders needing a new headlamp to fix, expensive parts and servicing, steering column ratte etc.

On the positive side the Avensis is highly thought of by Parkers and What Car though one says get the 2.2 diesel and other is happy with the 2 litre.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Cheers

Hi folks,

I am looking for a safe, reliable car primarily to be driven by my wife and, wherever I look I see some negative reports on most cars. Possible problems I have seen with the Avensis are:

Diesels needing a clutch after 10,000 miles, sludging up of VVT engines, melted headlamp bulb holders needing a new headlamp to fix, expensive parts and servicing, steering column ratte etc.

On the positive side the Avensis is highly thought of by Parkers and What Car though one says get the 2.2 diesel and other is happy with the 2 litre.

Cheers

hello

2.0 is enough for me

cheers/Igor

Hi folks,

Cheers

Hello there! Are you buying new or second hand?

I have a 2007 2.2 diesel Avensis and i am more than happy with it but then again i like Toyota, i'm not saying mine will ever live up to the bullet proof reputation that stems from the old Carina's (which i have owned) but i'm sure most of the Toyota range will be better than most other manufacturers cars sold today, look how Mercedes have dropped down the top 100 in recent years! They all have there own type of faults so you have to choose for yourself, unlike some car makers Toyota do try to put right their mistakes.The resale value holds up better than most so maybe the answer lies there due to the reliability and build quality. The problem now is that others will disagree with me but i always find that people only comment when things go wrong ... never when they have had a great car which has been trouble free so .... watch this space!!

Regards Pete.

Hi folks,

Cheers

I have a 2007 2.2 diesel Avensis and i am more than happy with it but then again i like Toyota, i'm not saying mine will ever live up to the bullet proof reputation that stems from the old Carina's (which i have owned) but i'm sure most of the Toyota range will be better than most other manufacturers cars sold today, look how Mercedes have dropped down the top 100 in recent years! They all have there own type of faults so you have to choose for yourself, unlike some car makers Toyota do try to put right their mistakes.The resale value holds up better than most so maybe the answer lies there due to the reliability and build quality. The problem now is that others will disagree with me but i always find that people only comment when things go wrong ... never when they have had a great car which has been trouble free so .... watch this space!!

Regards Pete.

I was given one of the first Avensis as a company car, over three years I did 95000 miles after which the water pump failed. That was the only fault I had in all that time - I didn't even have a bulb blow!

Hi folks,

Cheers

You could do alot worse than buy an avensis like pete says you only ever hear the bad stuff if you do decide to get one get it from a toyota dealership you get

the 12 month warrentee and as i did get them to put an extra year on and haggel it in to the price also try and get services in the deal, there are loads of low millage

avensis,s about cos people part x them for the new model but they go like hot cakes in my opinion they are the best in the class G7 insurance good mpg and reliable what more do you

want ,why do you think all the taxi drivers drive them???

Hi folks,

Cheers

Regards Pete.

I was given one of the first Avensis as a company car, over three years I did 95000 miles after which the water pump failed. That was the only fault I had in all that time - I didn't even have a bulb blow!

What more can I say but .... I rest my case, enough said.

Regards Pete.

I'm on my 2nd Avensis and more than happy (and its only a 1.8!) after 150,000 miles my 1st one still drove just like the day I bought it (at 40,000 miles). The only reason I'm on number 2 is that number 1 was written off after 7 years of trouble free ownership. I just hope I can keep the new one for at least another 7 years.

Tafia.... with great respect to all posters on here you will often read a fair amount of negative posts as forums such as this are a way of sharing thoughts and problems. That way we get to sort them out together and help each other and build up a wealth of knowledge for other users and owners.

Please do not read too much into the problems as the Avensis is no less reliable than any other Toyota and far more reliable than most other cars on the road. If you decide to buy an Avensis you would be most pleased with the car. Yes, they have problems from time to time but then again any car does but please do not let this put you off, as I said Toyota cars are very reliable and would give you years of hassle free motoring.

Keep us updated as to how you get on :thumbsup:

Tafia.... with great respect to all posters on here you will often read a fair amount of negative posts as forums such as this are a way of sharing thoughts and problems. That way we get to sort them out together and help each other and build up a wealth of knowledge for other users and owners.

Please do not read too much into the problems as the Avensis is no less reliable than any other Toyota and far more reliable than most other cars on the road. If you decide to buy an Avensis you would be most pleased with the car. Yes, they have problems from time to time but then again any car does but please do not let this put you off, as I said Toyota cars are very reliable and would give you years of hassle free motoring.

Still looking about folks. No one had any problems with sludging of VVT engines? I read there were problems with dual mass flywheels on diesels which was resolved after about 2003.

The biggest plus for the Avensis seems to be their 5 star performance in crash testing. Got to keep my dear wife as safe as possible.

Thanks to all for your comments.

The 1.8 VVT-i is one hell of a power plant.

It consumes oil ridiculously though (doesn't cost too much though).

I'll echo that.

Me and my partner have Toyotas and we've become accustomed to MOT's where the guy in the garage just tells us to come and pick up the car rather than reeling off a list of things to fix like every other car we've had prior to owning Toyotas. After 7 years of MOT's (9 in my partners case) we've never had to fix anything to get through the MOT other than the odd wiper blade.

I'll echo that.

Me and my partner have Toyotas and we've become accustomed to MOT's where the guy in the garage just tells us to come and pick up the car rather than reeling off a list of things to fix like every other car we've had prior to owning Toyotas. After 7 years of MOT's (9 in my partners case) we've never had to fix anything to get through the MOT other than the odd wiper blade.

Again, not much else to say after that. All in all a cracking car, good mpg on the petrol, mine is 1.8 auto. Yes there was a headlamp issue with some pre 2004 models, but that is covered by a 7 year warranty i think, so that should not be an issue. That is the only thing Ive had done to my car other than brakes, tyres, bulbs and Wiper Blades! I too am on my 2nd one. 1st one was written off sadly, but it saved my life in the process, so I was more than happy to buy another one. Plenty of them about, lots on the dealer forecourts, and you should be able to negotiate a good deal, along with some extras like extra warranty or services thrown in.

Good luck!

I have had 4x4 for years and recently (4 months ago) bought my first toyota and must say so far I haven't got any complaints. Good economy, great sound system, good safety record and a pleasure to drive. Haven't had any bad experiences yet and long may it last.

Still looking about folks. No one had any problems with sludging of VVT engines? I read there were problems with dual mass flywheels on diesels which was resolved after about 2003.

The biggest plus for the Avensis seems to be their 5 star performance in crash testing. Got to keep my dear wife as safe as possible.

hello

what do you exactly mean as (sludging)????? where is the spot? in the sump? under the valves drive cover? or where???

yes 9 air bags are self explained.

cheers/Igor

:) yes buy the avensis.. i got my 54 reg t spirit this week i brimmed it 170 miles and not even near the 1/4 off tank used ..is the needle stuck.. :)

hello

what do you exactly mean as (sludging)????? where is the spot? in the sump? under the valves drive cover? or where???

cheers/Igor

Sludging is congeaed oil caused by poor engine breathers. Google "Toyota oil sludging class action" for more.

hello

i own 1.8 vvt but no such issues since 2003.

cheers/Igor

hello

cheers/Igor

Sludging is congeaed oil caused by poor engine breathers. Google "Toyota oil sludging class action" for more.

hello

cheers/Igor

hello

i own 1.8 vvt-i since 2003 but no such issues yet.

Cheers/Igor

The class action is a US thing, I believe the engines for the UK cars are made over here so shouldn't be prone to the same problems. The other engine issue to look out for is the oil burning in the 1.8, but I understand that's only in the older cars.

As it happens I have a 2001 2.0 vvti Avensis, which I'm very happy with. I've owned it for four years, which is a record for me! It's the best car I've ever owned, and discounting any serious problems I'll be keeping it for a good while longer.

The class action is a US thing, I believe the engines for the UK cars are made over here so shouldn't be prone to the same problems. The other engine issue to look out for is the oil burning in the 1.8, but I understand that's only in the older cars.

As it happens I have a 2001 2.0 vvti Avensis, which I'm very happy with. I've owned it for four years, which is a record for me! It's the best car I've ever owned, and discounting any serious problems I'll be keeping it for a good while longer.

That's interesting. Is that why there are few reports in UK on this?

Avoid the 2.2 T180. Poor fuel consumption and there is a known fault with the DPNR that Toyota have hidden from buyers/owners!!

Had one of the first 2 D4D's (53 plate as a company car). Well put together, safe, comfortable, economical and never let me down etc...... Underpowered on the engine front, not much feeling from the steering and the ABS would kick in at the sight of a wet man hole cover - all of which I would expect from a car of it's type. I test drove Mazda 6's, Vectra's etc... and this was streets ahead.

Paid less company car tax (probably not relevant to you) as the emissions were very good, relevant to the car tax you pay....

If I wanted a safe A to B motor I don't think I'd consider any others at the price range these are in.

HTH

Avoid the 2.2 T180. Poor fuel consumption and there is a known fault with the DPNR that Toyota have hidden from buyers/owners!!

Go on then what is the known DPNR fault then???

AS for poor fuel consumption I wouls say that is down to the oil you stick in in and how where you drive it!

AS for poor fuel consumption I wouls say that is down to the oil you stick in in and how where you drive it!

The DPNR is supposed to be a self cleaning system that utilises a fifth injector into the exhaust manifold and when certain conditions occur the injector is fired and this is supposed to burn/cleanse the diesel particulate trap. However certain vehicles up to a given VIN number were fitted with small bore vacuum pipes that exit the DPNR, these become 'clogged/sooted' up, this in turn stops this system working and the DPNR cannister itself becomes full and useless.

Toyota issued a 'strictly private and confidential' technical bulletin to all dealerships with a 'field fix' in July 2007!!! If your car is one fitted with earlier design then provided your car has a full service history and is still under the warranty then it will be replaced FOC!! If the warranty has expired it will cost you parts and labour the best part of £1700. (Bear in mind that this system is supposed to self cleaning, maintenance free with no mention of periodic cleaning or replacement during the lifespan of the vehicle)

The 'field fix'/ design change is to replace the DPNR and vacuum pipes with larger bore items.

BUT..................................... cars fitted from the factory with the latter design DPNR system also break down!!! So all you will be doing is replacing like for like parts that WILL FAIL AGAIN!!

The fault manufactures itself like this: The engine management light(MIL) will come on so will the VSC and TRC, the car will go into limp mode and when you plug a code reader into the OBD port you will get the code P2002 'Diesel particulate trap below threshold'

Now do as your owners manual states: Drive to your nearest Toyota dealership!!

Now a very large warning to all owners!!!

WHEN YOU RESTART THE CAR THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT WILL STILL BE ALIGHT AND SO WILL THE VSC AND TRC BUT THE CAR WILL DRIVE AS IF NOTHING IS WRONG!! TO PROVE THIS PRESS THE CRUISE CONTOL BUTTON AND THE CRUISE LIGHT WILL ILLUMINATE!!

THIS MEANS THAT YOUR CAR IS NOW DRIVING IN 'NORMAL' MODE WITH NO VSC, TRC AND EVEN THOUGH THE ABS LIGHT IS NOT ILLUMINATED YOU ALSO HAVE NO ABS.

ALL DRIVER AIDS ARE DISABLED!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The DPNR is supposed to be a self cleaning system that utilises a fifth injector into the exhaust manifold and when certain conditions occur the injector is fired and this is supposed to burn/cleanse the diesel particulate trap. However certain vehicles up to a given VIN number were fitted with small bore vacuum pipes that exit the DPNR, these become 'clogged/sooted' up, this in turn stops this system working and the DPNR cannister itself becomes full and useless.

Toyota issued a 'strictly private and confidential' technical bulletin to all dealerships with a 'field fix' in July 2007!!! If your car is one fitted with earlier design then provided your car has a full service history and is still under the warranty then it will be replaced FOC!! If the warranty has expired it will cost you parts and labour the best part of £1700. (Bear in mind that this system is supposed to self cleaning, maintenance free with no mention of periodic cleaning or replacement during the lifespan of the vehicle)

The 'field fix'/ design change is to replace the DPNR and vacuum pipes with larger bore items.

BUT..................................... cars fitted from the factory with the latter design DPNR system also break down!!! So all you will be doing is replacing like for like parts that WILL FAIL AGAIN!!

The fault manufactures itself like this: The engine management light(MIL) will come on so will the VSC and TRC, the car will go into limp mode and when you plug a code reader into the OBD port you will get the code P2002 'Diesel particulate trap below threshold'

Now do as your owners manual states: Drive to your nearest Toyota dealership!!

Now a very large warning to all owners!!!

WHEN YOU RESTART THE CAR THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT WILL STILL BE ALIGHT AND SO WILL THE VSC AND TRC BUT THE CAR WILL DRIVE AS IF NOTHING IS WRONG!! TO PROVE THIS PRESS THE CRUISE CONTOL BUTTON AND THE CRUISE LIGHT WILL ILLUMINATE!!

THIS MEANS THAT YOUR CAR IS NOW DRIVING IN 'NORMAL' MODE WITH NO VSC, TRC AND EVEN THOUGH THE ABS LIGHT IS NOT ILLUMINATED YOU ALSO HAVE NO ABS.

ALL DRIVER AIDS ARE DISABLED!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Blinking heck!!! That's a worry.

:(