Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Solar Roof - Opening Sun Roof?

OOTF

Does anyone know if the solar roof option £1450 includes an opening sunroof? Various videos suggest it does but there is no definitive spec that I can find. If it does include an opening sunroof I may tollerate the naff 15" plastic covered wheels for this option.

Yes it does and I have a photo attached , but sorry would not be takin it to sacrifice 17" alloys for 15" which look terrible ;)

post-78645-1244840015_thumb.jpg

It would look like Claudia Schiffers head on Shreks body :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of the pictures are the 2010 US version. I need a definitive answer for the UK models

The picture on the Toyota UK website looks like a solar panel only, biased towards the back of the roof, with no additional panel at the front of the roof (like some of the pictures and videos on the web). I'll phone a local dealer later to see if they know.

post-77777-1244869353_thumb.jpg

If you add the roof to the car on the computer in the Toyota showroom it covers the entire roof , definately . The images appear on a 42" screen so its very clear .

If you add the roof to the car on the computer in the Toyota showroom it covers the entire roof , definately . The images appear on a 42" screen so its very clear .

Thanks Daron. It looks like the pictures on the website are missleading then.

Hard to know to be honest , no one seems to know finer details on these cars , go down to your local dealer and try it on the car builder in the showroom , on it the roof definately covers the entire roof although it doesn't show the front part open .

Spoke to 3 dealers in my area and none of them know whether the solar roof has a tilt slide sun roof as part of the pack.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with the solar roof. The added weight, naff wheels, no space saver spare and extra cost add up to a bad deal.

What are you implying?

:crazy::drunk::crazy:

If you could have it for £1 per week, would you have it?

Bring it on. :driving: The open sky above my head.........the HUD showing the way.........the smoothness of the 15" beauties :yucky:.......err scrub that one.........and a smile on my face :D

Saw it at the Trafford Centre on Saturday, the Girl was adamant there was no sunroof, only a 'Solar Roof ' :(

Saw it at the Trafford Centre on Saturday, the Girl was adamant there was no sunroof, only a 'Solar Roof ' :(

£1450 is a lot of money for a solar panel and a couple of fans. Toyota UK have confirmed that the solar roof includes a tilt and slide sunroof/moonroof. If it was just a solar roof panel, I would doubt that it would be necessary to fit smaller wheels and dispense with the spare to get the emissions down.

For your info, the solar sunroof weighs 28kg.

My initial reaction was that a solar sunroof is a must, mainly due to my gadget freak nature, but I do like extra sunlight and ventilation in the interior too. However, considering all it does is power some fans (rather then charging the Battery for example), then adding the extra weight which negatively impacts MPG, giving up the 17" wheels for 15", and having pay an extra £1450 for the priveledge, it doesn't feel like a must have anymore.

If anyone can give me some extra pros for having the sunroof, please let me know so I can take them into consideration when I make my purchase.

Yes I was being sarcastic :blowup: There simply is'nt a good reason to have one , the 15" alloys look crap , I can't believe with the latest technologies that they can't make a lightweight solar roof , I even suggested to the dealer bringing the car in with solar roof and 15's then immediately changing them to 17's but he checked with Toyota and they said it could affect the handling of the car at speed!! Sounds a bit far fetched to me but I did'nt want to take any chances. I always understood that bigger alloys because they had low profile tyres were in some cases the same overall size as the smaller ones with larger tyres , plus no one can definately tell me it has an opening sunroof .

Yes I was being sarcastic :blowup: There simply is'nt a good reason to have one , the 15" alloys look crap , I can't believe with the latest technologies that they can't make a lightweight solar roof , I even suggested to the dealer bringing the car in with solar roof and 15's then immediately changing them to 17's but he checked with Toyota and they said it could affect the handling of the car at speed!! Sounds a bit far fetched to me but I did'nt want to take any chances. I always understood that bigger alloys because they had low profile tyres were in some cases the same overall size as the smaller ones with larger tyres , plus no one can definately tell me it has an opening sunroof .

Here is a picture of the opening sunroof I found online , apparently its on an American Prius 3:

post-78645-1245740272_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

For your info, the solar sunroof weighs 28kg.

... then adding the extra weight which negatively impacts MPG, giving up the 17" wheels for 15"....

If anyone can give me some extra pros for having the sunroof, please let me know so I can take them into consideration when I make my purchase.

I was surprised to see that the current Prius brochure quotes fuel economy and emission figures for T-Spirit with Solar/Sunroof as equal to T3, and lower than for T4 or T-Spirit without Solar/Sunroof.

Weight difference between the 15" and 17" alloys can't be that much can it?

If so, then your assumption of negative impact on MPG is not correct and you have your extra pros.

the weight difference does make the difference. And it is not about cobsumption, it is about emissions.

when we were lookibg to buy I did find two pair of 17" wheels that were as light as the 15" wheels but they were horrible racing wheels and very very expensive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links