Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Exhaust Rattle

greenstarthree

Hi All,

Bit of a novice question I know, but just being cautious -

Pulled up at work this morning and noticed a rattle from the rear of the car. With the engine running i got out to check it and noticed its being caused by the exhaust shaking and rattling against the underside of the car.

Are Yaris' exhausts secured at the rear by the usual rubber clips/rings? My girlfriends Fiat had the same problem recently and that's all it was - if this is the same could it just be the clip that's fallen off?

Also thinking it might be the weekend before I can get it seen to properly, can anyone recommend any "improvisation" I can use in the meantime.....?!

Thanks all!

Hi, is the engine's idle speed low? as this could be the cause of the rattling exhaust.

Could be a heatsheild rattling. I had this problem twice on some other cars i've owned.

Or it could be the baffles in the back-box what are loose. :huh:

jack the rear up and have a good look yourself before taking it anywhere. It could be a minor job to sort, but your friendly exhaust place might well say it needs an entire system! :o

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I've had a good look last night when I got home - and it is indeed a heat shield by the look of it.

It’s a metal plate that sits near the middle of the car (the other side of the back box), just above the exhaust, and it looks like it was held on by a screw, but the ring that the screw goes through has broken so its hanging down a little and rattling on the exhaust pipe.

Seeing as the fixing for it has snapped, it seems I can’t just screw it back on – would it be safe to weld it, or is it too close to the fuel tank for that? Or are the any special types of adhesive etc for this kind of thing?

Thanks again!

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I've had a good look last night when I got home - and it is indeed a heat shield by the look of it.

It’s a metal plate that sits near the middle of the car (the other side of the back box), just above the exhaust, and it looks like it was held on by a screw, but the ring that the screw goes through has broken so its hanging down a little and rattling on the exhaust pipe.

Seeing as the fixing for it has snapped, it seems I can’t just screw it back on – would it be safe to weld it, or is it too close to the fuel tank for that? Or are the any special types of adhesive etc for this kind of thing?

Thanks again!

Just take the thing off and bin it. :lol:

As said, my Golf GTi and my Accord both got took off when they started rattling. :)

If you can fix it and want it on then by all means do that.

Taking it off won't have any effect to the exhaust system though and at least it won't rattle again! :D

haha, i was considering doing that the other night. just wasnt sure whats on the other side of it - in case it was shielding the fuel tank or something that needed to be cool...

a friend of mine who's a bit more in the know is looking at it today and perhaps he might go down that route aswell! :lol:

ill let you know what he does.

Cheers all

Adam

Mine had been rattling too, it really annoyed me then it stopped or I've just got used to it!!?!

I'll be interested to hear what the outcome is.

funny that Blue, mine is much less of an annoyance when the stereo's on louder....!

Turns out he just put a bolt through the old housing, with a large washer on it to counteract the broken bit. apparently it is the fuel tank on the other side so welding wouldnt have been an advisable option. Removing the heatshield is an option but i guess its worth saving if possible.

So no more rattle, :D

Cheers everybody

Adam