Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch

Phil_M

54 plate 2.0 d4d, Just wondering what the signs would be to look for if the clutch was to need replacing. 80k on the clock

54 plate 2.0 d4d, Just wondering what the signs would be to look for if the clutch was to need replacing. 80k on the clock

Generally if your clutch is starting to wear out you will notice that when you try to accelerate quickly the revs. will build up, but the car will not accelerate as fast as it normally would. The power from the engine is being lost because the clutch is slipping!

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

Generally if your clutch is starting to wear out you will notice that when you try to accelerate quickly the revs. will build up, but the car will not accelerate as fast as it normally would. The power from the engine is being lost because the clutch is slipping!

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

Thanks, not having symptoms like that atm, but do seem to have a heavy feeling clutch

The travel on the peddle will get higher and the clutch becomes less effective when your driving you will

notice (when going up hills )your clutch slipping and you need higher revs also if its slipping alot youll notice a bad smell

not sure if there is a dash warning or not.

Thanks, not having symptoms like that atm, but do seem to have a heavy feeling clutch

I think what Phil is really asking, is, not what the normal clutch wear symptoms are - but rather why is his clutch so heavy to depress, yes?

Reading back through the old posts I think someone mentioned something about hydraulic pumps needing servicing/replacing. So, anyone know exactly why the Avensis clutch can feel as if it was designed to be depressed only by someone possessing the leg strength of a Russian Olympic shot putter?

I have owned Toyota's (both new and secondhand) over the past 24 years continuously, and none in that period comes anywhere close to the 'heaviness' of the Avensis clutch. Is it a fault? Or a characteristic of the model? It makes gear changing a ponderous and leg-tiring affair.

As far as i have tested clutches by yanking up the handbrake and start taking off in second gear. If the car moves fine then i don't think the clutch is worn.

There is a design fault with Avensis manufactured between 2003 and March 2005. The steel used in the clutch master cylinder corrodes and can result in symptoms such as yours. Although Toyota fitted modified master cylinders from March 2005 they never issued a recall and only units that failed were replaced. I'm not aware of any extension to the warrenty on this part so if you can't live with it or if it gets worse you'll probably have to pay for a new one - luckilly mine went inside the three years (as did my headlamps - another known design fault that was addressed in March 2005 but only replaced if a fault developed and not as a matter of course).

The clutch peddle getting heavy could be a syptom of early dual mass flywheel failure . H ave you got any vibration coming throuth the peddle . or any rattling from the clutch on tick over ?

You can try the master cylinder as said above but the heavy pedal is usually the clutch cover or DMF.

Not cheap.

Mart.

The clutch peddle getting heavy could be a syptom of early dual mass flywheel failure . H ave you got any vibration coming throuth the peddle . or any rattling from the clutch on tick over ?

No vibration or rattling, just heavy pedal, has been suggested that one of the plates may be bent

Dual Mass fly wheel will not make the clutch pedal harder!

:lol:

DMF faliure has diffrent symptoms.

The clutch in my brother's 2.0 D4D Corolla is also very heavy (Van-like even! :lol:); I just assumed that was a 'feature' of cars with heavier diesel engines, i.e. having a heavier clutch return-spring to deal with the greater torque.

Em had a 2.0L D4D Corolla IIRC so she might be able to confirm this...

All the current 'heavy clutch' topics appear to be from Diesel owners. Well I have the same problem and my Avensis is the petrol version (50+mpg what do I need a diesel for?) :) And I've just collected my petrol Avensis back from having its 80K service done.

I deliberately said nothing about my car's 'heavy clutch' feel, and the fact that you have to depress the clutch pedal right through the floorboards to get a gear change. There's no clutch slippage and the car pulls like a train. So I was expecting them to comment on problems with the clutch master cyclinder or the clutch thrust bearings.

- But no, the mechanic had simply written 'clutch very heavy'. When I enquired further at the service desk (wish I'd gone round the back and tried to speak to the mechanic direct) I was told it was a sign that the clutch was wearing out. I commented that all the clutches of my past cars that had worn, would 'slip' when they were showing signs of wear, and the 'bite' take-up, moves right to the top of the clutch-pedal travel. My car's clutch had none of those symtoms.

- The Toyota dealer service-desk attendant listened to my concerns and again insisted, (and I quote): "A heavy Avensis clutch is also a sign of a worn clutch".

I'm not really convinced; in all the years I've been driving I've never encountered a 'heavy clutch' symptom.

Slipping clutch - yes; 'heavy' clutch - no.

So, I'd hate to pay for a new clutch only to find the problem persists

- but the Toyota Dealer was adamant: a heavy clutch = a worn clutch.

What, it's that straightforward - a replacement clutch? :dontgetit:

Freaky, never heard of that either!

Don't understand how the clutch wearing out would make it *heavier* :blink:

If you can find out how that works I'd be very interested!

This is the annoying thing 'tho - If they assure you it's because its the clutch wearing out, and change it and it's still heavy then what?!

(And since it's a hydraulic clutch it won't be cheap to change!)

Freaky, never heard of that either!

Don't understand how the clutch wearing out would make it *heavier* :blink:

If you can find out how that works I'd be very interested!

This is the annoying thing 'tho - If they assure you it's because its the clutch wearing out, and change it and it's still heavy then what?!

(And since it's a hydraulic clutch it won't be cheap to change!)

The only part of the clutch that is hydraulic is the actuation of the clutch arm, wont be any more expensive because of that.

Mart.

• 2 weeks later...

:P

Dual Mass fly wheel will not make the clutch pedal harder!

:lol:

DMF faliure has diffrent symptoms.

during dmf failure the rubber pads which break down in the flywheel contaminate the clutch release mechanism and splines on clitch plate itself . Another symptom would be the starter motor begining to fail due to contamination . :P