Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving When Tired...

Funkadelic

I think its down to Joe Publics general perceptions, many frain at the use of illegal drugs, because they are illegal, but many many people do more harm to themselves with alcohol because its legal.

Like drink driving, mention that and you might aswell have leprosy (s/p) yet as we've just seen many will admit to driving when extremeley tired e.t.c

Nowt queerer than folk :blink::wacko:

Dont you think this is all very interesting, alot of you here are admitting to falling asleep, feeling really drowsy, taking stimulants to stay awake while driving YET when someone admitted having a couple of pints and crashing their car, the thread got locked cause everyone went over board.

It is strange, in a way, yes. :wacko: But I think that it's as you said: it's not actually illegal to drive when you're in dire need of sleep - so people are less reluctant to admitting to it, and others find it harder to marshal their arguements to condemn it, even though it is extremely dangerous.

I think also that you should notice that most of us are saying that it has happened to them, and now they have learned their lesson. It's important for those of us who have not yet had a bad experience to understand just how serious drowsiness at the wheel is. There have been large campaigns against D&D at the wheel - now the next step could be be a campaign against drowsiness.

I know that I don't drive when tired anymore - it's just not worth the risk. :thumbsup:

it's not actually illegal to drive when you're in dire need of sleep

Exactly.

I amongst many others don't have a choice, if you work nights and/or long hours. <_<

Thats no excuse, thats like saying I dont have a choice drink driving as the pubs too far to walk ;) :)

Dont get me wrong, and I'm not after another pathetic argument, but there's always a choice.

In my younger years Ive been behind the wheel in many conditions, not proud of it, but now much wiser.

Ok after my long ****d weekend of driving on Saturday surrey to plymouth M3-A303-A30-M5-A38 then today on the way back A38-M5-M4-M25 a lovley round trip of over 550 miles and over 7 hours of driving. I can safley say driving when tired sucks :censor:

I found the best way to stay awake is

Burger king Milkshakes

Coffee

Tea

And haribo sweats!!!!!!!

i have been a terrible one for sleeping when tired

drove up to Newcastle from Bournemouth which is about 400 each way.. started at midnight... got their early hours.. had to wait around a few hours then drove all the way back home.

bit naughty eh? my GF made sure i stayed awake!

Thats no excuse, thats like saying I dont have a choice drink driving as the pubs too far to walk  ;)  :)

Dont get me wrong, and I'm not after another pathetic argument, but there's always a choice.

??? How does that work?

You can choose to go to a pub & not drink, or not drive, that's a social thing. But how can you get home from work at random times of the day/night without driving tired after long hours.... <_<

that can go into a new thread... but the coach that drove past must have had a right laugh!!

??? How does that work?

You can choose to go to a pub & not drink, or not drive, that's a social thing. But how can you get home from work at random times of the day/night without driving tired after long hours.... <_<

I know what your saying, I've just quit my job for un-sociable hours, I'm just trying to make the point of peoples moralites (is that a word?? ) :D

I'm just trying to make the point of peoples moralites (is that a word?? ) :D

It is now ;) :D

Unsociable hours s :censor: k... :(

The best advice for combatting tiredness while driving, strangly, is to have a nap.

Stop at a motorway services, get a coffee, drink it, then have a 10 minute nap while the caffeine works into your system (set your mobile to wake you)..

After your nap, take a 5 min walk, and you'll be amazed at how fresh you feel.

One of the biggest problems with driving while tired, is motorways, because of their motonouny, this can cause you to feel more drowsy than you are..

And I am not condemming driving while tired, but i have done it, and know how dangerous it is..

Dont you think this is all very interesting, alot of you here are admitting to falling asleep, feeling really drowsy, taking stimulants to stay awake while driving YET when someone admitted having a couple of pints and crashing their car, the thread got locked cause everyone went over board.

I think driving whilst being drunk is an entirly different matter. I would never get in a car and drive after drinking alcohol as I would knowingly be irrisponsible, breaking the law and I would be knowingly getting in a car with the view I could kill someone or myself but falling asleep is different, the time I got in the car and nodded off I had not been tiered when I started driving and didn't realise I was getting sleepy if I had been sleepy when I got in the car I wouldn't have driven I would have had a nap. There is a great difference.

Won't it be great when there is a car invented that you just get in state where you want to go and the car can drive you home whilst you sleep or whatever in the back. I think it's called having a chauffer !!! wish I was that rich !!!

Kaz

Some of the reasons a lot of people drive tired for work is that they have no choice. I'm aware of the very lengthy legislation regarding drivers, but after spending a summer working for a distribution firm I can tell you, these guys work LONG hours.

Suggesting they have a choice isn't so straight forward when your employer puts pressure on you to get the job done. The only choice a lot of drivers have is to either put up with all the pressure that work puts on them to drive tired or sign-on.

In cases like this the employers should be held to account for giving drivers no other choice but to drive tired.

Went out with the bosses daughter, we were drinking Red bull and vodka all night, and when we finally got back to my flat, no chance of sleeping!

???????

why did u wanna sleep? :lol:

im always driving home at night after working and im often tired (and at that point not wanting to listen to loud music anymore). i find freezing like mad with the window open and fan blowing cold on you helps - especially in winter. just make sure the electric blanket is on when u get in!

i was a passenger one morning 6am ish and my mate who is a club manager had been working through the night (absolute workaholic!, whilst i slept on a settee). at one point of the journey i asked him a question and he didnt respond, i asked him again and still no answer.

he was asleep with his eyes open!!!

i shouted and this got his attention and he swerved like mad! very scary! :eek:

p.s in hindsight he may have been better off staying asleep :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links