Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

B Pillar Has A Rattle Inside

TruBlu

Auris T3 1.6 2008

I have a really annoying rattle or it sounds like something is wobbling about inside the drivers B pillar near where the seat belt enters, has anyone else had this annoying sound and if so do you know how to cure it. Any tips on getting inside the pillar? It is usually only apparent when travelling over uneven roads, so obviously something is jumping about in there.

Thank you

Mine has this vibrating noise from the same place , when driving at motorway speeds

Are you sure it is the B-pillar?

I have an annoying rattle coming from the same area, but i found it was the Top corner of the door interior panel trim... there is a clip in that corner if you give a gentle tap in this top corner closer to the b-pillar you can feel it loose, rattley.

next time you hear it, apply some pressure on the door panel trim and see if it goes away.

If it is this one , it should be a matter of removing the door panel and adding some packing beneath the clip to eliminate freeplay...

I have an annoying rattle coming from the same area, but i found it was the Top corner of the door interior panel trim... there is a clip in that corner if you give a gentle tap in this top corner closer to the b-pillar you can feel it loose, rattley.

next time you hear it, apply some pressure on the door panel trim and see if it goes away.

If it is this one , it should be a matter of removing the door panel and adding some packing beneath the clip to eliminate freeplay...

Thanks for that info, I'll check it out, but it definitely sounds like it coming from behind the trim on th B pillar but sounds can be deceiving where they are coming from when driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that info, I'll check it out, but it definitely sounds like it coming from behind the trim on th B pillar but sounds can be deceiving where they are coming from when driving.

Well, I tried checking the door trim with the rattle going on but had no luck. Its a bit of a wierd rattle as it doesn't sound metalic or plasticky, itis more like something softer shuffling about and I now begin to think that it is something to do with the curtain airbag, but I'm warey about touching anything to do with that. The sound comes right out of the seat belt slider but holding the slider or tugging the seat belt whilst driving does not stop the rattle and I'm wondering if the sound is travelling up inside the trim of the B pillar from the seat belt lower mount/ pendulum.

Oh well, it's not a big deal, guess I'll live with it until I go deaf

TruBlu

Just take your car to the dealer... They will test drive it and try to locate the sound source!

Best regards, Alex

So many stories of rattles on the Auris.It really makes me mad.Toyotas just are not meant to rattle.We all buy them because of their legendary build quality but with the Auris it is not possible to use the phrase legendary build quality.

Makes me very sad.I just cannot be bothered to take ours back.It just should not have these issues.Not for what they cost.If it was a cheap piece of French junk then maybe.

Lease is up on ours in just over a year and at the moment I just cannot see us getting another one.

Honda next maybe.

Wonder if anyone at Toyota looks at this forum.

Oh for our Corolla back.(Japanese built)

So many stories of rattles on the Auris.It really makes me mad.Toyotas just are not meant to rattle.We all buy them because of their legendary build quality but with the Auris it is not possible to use the phrase legendary build quality.

Makes me very sad.I just cannot be bothered to take ours back.It just should not have these issues.Not for what they cost.If it was a cheap piece of French junk then maybe.

Lease is up on ours in just over a year and at the moment I just cannot see us getting another one.

Honda next maybe.

Wonder if anyone at Toyota looks at this forum.

Oh for our Corolla back.(Japanese built)

Could'nt agree more on the rattles front :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

I have new Auris okt. 2009

It started to rattle in b-pillar after a few weaks. I suspected to be the seat buckle rattling against the b-pillar. But the rattle still occured wearing my seatbelt on rough road surface. Went to my dealer in Faroe Islands. It turned out to be a wrong fitting of upper panel, where the seatbelt comes out in b-pillar. This rattle or clicking sound was only at the drivers door. The mechanic also checked the panel at the passenger door, but that was correct installed.

Hope you understand my english so far.

Picking up my new Auris 1.4 d4d tomorrow, really looking forward to it, but all these talks about rattlely trims is beginning to sway my opinion that the Auris may not be as good or as well built!! Although I still believe in their reliability.

Lets hope I don't have the same problem, it would really be annoying if it rattles...

Picking up my new Auris 1.4 d4d tomorrow, really looking forward to it, but all these talks about rattlely trims is beginning to sway my opinion that the Auris may not be as good or as well built!! Although I still believe in their reliability.

Lets hope I don't have the same problem, it would really be annoying if it rattles...

GET USED TO THE RATTLES!!

Having owned my car for exactly 3 years now i have realised 'nothing can be' or rather 'nothing will be' done about this problem. I have now been to my dealer 20 times in the past 3 years for the same rattles again and again. Finally when my warranty was about to expire and i was persistent to get them resolved beforehand, my dealer said: 'There is nothing we can do about this' Keep going again and again until they finally admit this!

The 3 year old car which is otherwise in excellent condition feels like a 30 year old piece if junk!! When my mates are in the car they say: 'Oh wait a min, turn the music down what's that sound?!' i say 'Oh thats my car!'

Toyota is ruining its own reputation. Why not offer the soft touch trim as in the revised auris to existing customers or actually find a solution to this number 1 complaint? Do they really think were gonna actually buy another auris?! The warranty is useless too as they never fix anything! Whats the point of having it. You dont need the warranty for the ever so frequent recalls anyway!

I have had rattles from:

• Seats
  • B pillar - both sides
  • door trims
  • dashboard
  • glovebox
  • boot trim
  • under passenger seat - tray
  • centre console

ALL REMAIN UNRESOLVED

ABZ-T2

I have had rattles from:

• Seats
  • B pillar - both sides
  • door trims
  • dashboard
  • glovebox
  • boot trim
  • under passenger seat - tray
  • centre console

ALL REMAIN UNRESOLVED

ABZ-T2

These are in no way a design fault..... they are a design fact! :thumbsup:

There are just different levels of tolerance amongst the customer base.

I completely understand you guys. I still have a noise that so far I never heard anyone complaining. Sometimes when the weather is cold and humid and if the car stays off for a long period when I start it it makes a really annoying creek sound coming (it seems) from under the hood. I still didn't report this but I want to see how they will identify it if the dam thing is more the times that doesn't happen. If I had payed half of what I payed for it I would have sold it already and get some other car and brand. Too many issues when I was not expecting even 1. Maybe in 3 or 4 years I can trade it right now it is impossible to me not to say I will be trowing money out the window. Its funny as when I got my Saxo I thought I was going to trade it after 3 or 4 years in the end I had it in my hands for almost 10 years. When I bought the Auris I thought I would have it for many years maybe even 10 years but now I don't expect to have it in 5.

Just wanted to add something it is funny how car manufactures close plants for cost reasons but I never seen one closing for quality reasons. I really don't know if the fault is from the plants in UK or Turkey, the design center in Belgium or the suppliers (in fact I think its the last European suppliers suck). From the reports of the 2 persons here that actually have a japanese Auris the quality is superior which leads me to think that it is a suppliers problem because we see issues either in UK or Turkish cars. So just cut the dam European suppliers chain bring everything from Japan if it doesn't pay off so much then just close the dam plants. Is it better to have all these problems? Sorry but this is the truth European suppliers are used to supply crap european cars where quality is low. Don't tell me a VW as HQ because its just crap. I know people with VW group cars (Ibiza, Golf, A3) and they all have big problems, power windows engines that go dead after 2 or 3 years, air flow sensor for the turbo that needs to be replaced, scratched plastics looking like someone was actually hammering it, drinking as much oil as gas, electronic gear box failure, car shacking like hell if you break, radio going dead etc..... some of these for you to use VW official parts you will leave almost half your salary there.

Toyota decision of making cars in Europe was the biggest flaw in history. I just wonder how is the Kia C'eed handling since it is produced in Europe too and I've been hearing good about it.

• 1 year later...

Same problem on my side. I do not know where it could come, and it does that highway ... I do not think my side it comes from the B pillar.I think it's more because of the door when I make a pressure on it (on the black plastic just below the window) the noise is limited. But it's very very annoying and if I go to the Toyota garage to complain they will think that there is no problem since they will not go up the highway to test ...

Where are you with your noises? Help

I just saw something that differs between the driver's door (which is noisy) and the right. In the upper corner of the panel I have a kind of foam over. This would be evidence of a wound of the door by the previous owner? Or poor editing?

I want your opinion on this, but I really feel that the noise comes from the door.

dsc0340iv.jpg

I have taken my car in today for a rattle from the pass footwell. They said the warranty would not cover the diag time and we would need to pay for it. Told that was not going to happen. Had the rattle since we picked the car up. If they cannot fix it its going back really dont take well to be treated like a fool. been in 3 times already with the same noise. If they cant help then im not going let it lye. You dont have to put up with these things!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links